Team Sumo Strategies

Team Strategies go here, if you want to share that is...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Team Sumo Strategies

Post by sinewav »

Let's share our knowledge of Team Sumo so we can foster greater competition, innovation, and creativity. Illustrations help.

Some talking points to get us started:
  • What is the best launch configuration? Who gets the inside position and why?
  • When should you attack other zones?
  • Who goes outside your zone and why? When?
teen
Round Winner

Re: Team Sumo Strategies

Post by teen »

1. preferably for me position 1 goes straight ahead pos 2 grinds him then doubles back. Position one then makes a wall and pos 2 takes the space. Pos 1 would just roam around and invade while pos 2 maintains its spot in the middle.

2. attack other zones whenever you want. this could be a strategy of itself. team play works well here

3. what?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Dump cores!
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

Posting here so the TST thread doesn't get hijacked even more...
sinewav wrote:
1200 wrote:...there are others your team can try to execute as the round is starting...
I remeber several months ago, preSsure and I played a closed 2v2 match with SP's Psyko and Magik (sp?). Anyway, I suck a sumo, and preSs was determined to do this wacky starting grind every time... and it failed every time. I was like :roll:
The best start I've ever seen was by some CT dudes, I think it was Sebol and Emmy? They gained a lot of speed at the start, and reached the center of the zone a lot quicker than the rest. I don't remember how it was done exactly, but it consisted in doing some kind of double grinding towards the zone center. Perhaps they can share :-P

As for tactics...

I don't think there's that much to talk about. You usually don't have much time to come up with evil plans during the game (since the zones shrink relatively fast), and even before it I don't see how you can devise an actual strategy.
But there's some things you can do, like keeping the best player (i.e. the guy that just won't die) in the busiest zone position, or giving your partner a chunk of the zone (like, say, "turning back" and let him expand to incorporate your big roomy box). This last one can result in better positions for both, since one maintains a bigger area, and the other can go screw with other people's spots.

Attacking other zones should happen when your teammate is on a relatively "safe" situation, and isn't on the edge of the zone (since with shrinking he'll get in trouble after a bit). Btw, I'm not a big fan of attacking other zones, I always thought that both players should have to stay in their own :<
Winner of the How Many Pages Before The Lock® competition and a grand total of 18,93 euros in Euromillions.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

My favorite thing to do involves having a 2v1 situation where your teammate is alive fighting a single opponent. If time and space allows, I'll encircle the zone and and protect it from leeches/vultures, (winning players from other zones). It's one of those Fortress strategies that cross over to Sumo - keep EVERYONE out of the zone while your mate tidies up the base. Of course, you have to be ready to jump back in if he blows it.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Thanks for the tip, sine. I will have to start doing that.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Goodygumdrops
Round Winner

Post by Goodygumdrops »

the best way to win at team sumo is to play with your partner a lot
The once and future "I told you so."
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

stop trying, you can only troll people by posting in private
Goodygumdrops
Round Winner

Post by Goodygumdrops »

epsy wrote:stop trying, you can only troll people by posting in private
everyone before you in this thread has made an on-topic post that has been at least somewhat helpful/amusing, so i'm trying to figure out who you are talking to...are you telling yourself to stop trolling?
The once and future "I told you so."
Flex
Round Winner

Post by Flex »

Strategy wise, there's quite a difference between 2vs2 and 2vs2vs2vs2.. in fact, I wouldn't even employ some of the tactics in the latter, it's simply wouldn't work at all (imo). But I think in a 2vs2vs2vs2, it's best for at least one team mate to stay mid-way into the core and not too much inside to get squashed or holed and locked in without enough space to properly expand. Mid-way enough to avoid being pushed in too early on by people roaming around, such as teen suggested.

As soon as two teams or at least four people die, it's time to take the centre or be screwed later when the zone starts to shrink beyond ability to share it on the outside.

Also, shouldn't this be in Team Strategy section?
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

also, there is no reason at all for the outside man to die. His goal, at the very least, is to be alive so that when the inside man dies, the team has a second life.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Flex wrote:Also, shouldn't this be in Team Strategy section?
>_<
PsYkO
Core Dumper

Post by PsYkO »

The key to winning 2v2v2v2 especially in TST play is to prey on players' timidness and cautiousness.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

PsYkO wrote:The key to winning ... is to prey on players' timidness and cautiousness.
Example?
PsYkO
Core Dumper

Post by PsYkO »

hell naw! lol