Team Sumo Strategies

Team Strategies go here, if you want to share that is...
madmax
Round Winner

Re: Team Sumo Strategies

Post by madmax »

sinewav wrote:
PsYkO wrote:The key to winning ... is to prey on players' timidness and cautiousness.
Example?
Green thought he had a big roomy box all for himself D:
Winner of the How Many Pages Before The Lock® competition and a grand total of 18,93 euros in Euromillions.
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

haha xD
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
PsYkO
Core Dumper

Post by PsYkO »

yup Max that is def one example
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

:) Thanks madmax. I personally knew what PsYkO was talking about, but I wanted more for the sake of the thread. Saying "The key to winning is to prey on timidness and cautiousness" is good for Sun-Tzu, but is an immensely vague statement when talking about Team Sumo strategies (this thread should really be called team sumo tactics anyway).
PsYkO
Core Dumper

Post by PsYkO »

I am a player that views strategy very highly and try and be innovative.. To reveal in depth strategies gives advantages to players like lack max and durka = I lose advantages vs them
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

the best (in anything) innately do what others plan and deliberate about.

while it may easy for them to give advice, it is hard for them to pin exactly what makes them better, because it is something so ingrained and they carry it everywhere.
Goodygumdrops
Round Winner

Post by Goodygumdrops »

psyko thinks he has ideas about team sumo that lack, max, and durka haven't had
The once and future "I told you so."
PsYkO
Core Dumper

Post by PsYkO »

Indeed. Just like they have ideas that I haven't had.
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Post by Kijutsu »

Wait, you guys actually have strategies? When I play sumo, team sumo, I randomly drive around and when I see an opportunity I try to take it.
Goodygumdrops
Round Winner

Post by Goodygumdrops »

PsYkO wrote:Indeed. Just like they have ideas that I haven't had.
unfortunately, team sumo has less depth than a kiddie pool, so i have no idea what you're talking about
The once and future "I told you so."
PsYkO
Core Dumper

Post by PsYkO »

What you do in the first 10 seconds of the match is sometimes crucial in terms of strategy (of course skill still holds the most weight). You may think psh, it's only the first 10 seconds. But the first 10 seconds of a fortress match is equally as crucial, but I don't think we would ever hear complaints about the strategy of the fortress grind.

From there, you can play with speed, maze, slow and cautious. Focus on maintaining your space or expanding.

These aspects all coordinate with who your teammate is. which way should the outside person grind in the beginning...what should the inside person do? Which way to make the opening box? Should the outside person make a box next to you or go around to the other side and try and make the box? Should the attacker try to survive the entire match just to annoy the outside and try to get in? Or for fear that the defender will die prematurely, they stay close and always have a box up.

IMO my skill hasn't gotten much better over the years but because of team strategy, everyone plays it differently than when it first came out, and even how they played in the last TST.
Core Dumper

Post by newbie »

the best strategy is to attack the other zone right away
1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 21, 24, 33, 34, 35

Flex
Round Winner

Post by Flex »

One thing I can say and I know for a fact is, sitting there waiting for the enemy to die isn't skill.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

But it is a skill to get in such a position that you can just sit and wait till the enemy dies.

And it's also quite a skill to be in a way unfavorable position and still be able to out-wait and sit your opponent.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Flex wrote:One thing I can say and I know for a fact is, sitting there waiting for the enemy to die isn't skill.
That's why "sumo" should only grant a point(s) for a core dump (with tight score detection to minimise points awarded to self-boxers), and only a core dump. The zone should only exist to hold players in place and force them to engage. If I recall correctly (and it's possible I don't), that was the original intent.

I wonder if Lack would apply the principles he just laid out as equally to a last-man-standing server. That's not a rhetorical statement; I'm not making an argument either way. But you know there are many (not necessarily myself) who would shout "runner!" and "camper!" at such behaviour. In which case, one might describe "sumo"—as currently implemented with respect to scoring in particular—as encouraging and rewarding so-called camping; indeed, codifying it as a game mode in and of itself. Again, I'm not necessarily saying that's my position (I have an instachat that says "camping is a myth," and it's not sarcastic), but "sumo," as presently implemented (and there's, like, no deviation on that*) could be described that way.

* And so, by the way, why does everyone do the 30 speed, 10 accel, 5 rubber deal? For pete's sake, is it so hard to be at least somewhat original and change those up a bit? Likewise for Fortress ... hmm, I may have already griped about that here.

Just a few critiques. Not trying to thread hijack. :)