Team Sumo Strategies

Team Strategies go here, if you want to share that is...
User avatar
Z-Man
God & Project Admin
Posts: 11425
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Re: Team Sumo Strategies

Post by Z-Man »

Please continue the discussion of the conquest score free sumo over there, strategy discussion go!

User avatar
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Posts: 5041
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.
Contact:

Re: Team Sumo Strategies

Post by Phytotron »

So, yeah, I would put the same strategy here that I would for a regular LMS team game:

Teammates must be aware and courteous of one other; determine implicitly or explicitly what their respective strengths, weakness, and therefore resulting roles should be; be able to make reads on what each is doing in a given situation; and go dump cores!

newbie
Core Dumper
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:04 pm

Re: Team Sumo Strategies

Post by newbie »

Lackadaisical wrote: How do you mean they have been proven wrong?

I thought the 'there-are-never-clear-winners' had more to do with playing with more than 4 players and multiple zones? Do you still have logs of the conversation because i can't remember exactly what we all talked about.
In KingsOfTheGrid players started using kill points to prevent their opponents from winning. You need 80 to win. Last round, you've outplayed your opponent nicely and are controlling 80% of the zone. Easy win? It's not, because the other player just steps out and gives you 60 instead of 90. Someone, who was a clear winner, didn't win. Same gambits were possible in the 1vs1 tournament. I've pointed this out to Flex and the conclusion was that kill points should be removed from the next 1v1 tournament.

Same rules apply to team sumo. Team A has 1330, Team B 1320, Team C 800, Team D 200. Team D crashes randomly into the wall of team B or team B hunts one of the weaker players of team D. In result team B wins. Win is a win, but you can't say it was a clear win, if you didn't beat your main opponent.
1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 21, 24, 33, 34, 35

Image

LucK
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 861
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:04 pm

Re: Team Sumo Strategies

Post by LucK »

newbie the flaw in your idea is that Team B could do the hard work of killing team C or D and still lose which is unfair where as if any team get's killed before Team A, Team A wins which makes their job a lot easier.

newbie
Core Dumper
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:04 pm

Re: Team Sumo Strategies

Post by newbie »

LucK wrote:newbie the flaw in your idea is that Team B could do the hard work of killing team C or D and still lose which is unfair where as if any team get's killed before Team A, Team A wins which makes their job a lot easier.
In the given example, if team B kills anyone from team c or d, team B wins instantly. That's not an idea. It's how the game looks like right now.
1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 21, 24, 33, 34, 35

Image

User avatar
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 822
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:58 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Team Sumo Strategies

Post by Lackadaisical »

In the first example, I guess the other player just shouldn't have been so far behind in the first place, he had the choice as well earlier in the game to 'give up the zone' instead of trying to get in and risking an even bigger defeat.

Anyway I think z-man handles this nicely in his server: if there are two people left either one kills the other and he gains 30 points, or one leaves the zone and loses 30 points. So there is always a 30 point difference between the winner and loser.

In the second example team A has pretty much the same opportunities as team B to kill someone in team D/C so I don't see the problem there, plus the added advantage of winning if team C kills team D or vice versa. Without kill points, team A would have a disproportionately large advantage over team B, like Luck said (team B has to kill team A before anyone else dies while team A can just 'survive').


But yeah, making sumo round based would be a good alternative.
edit:

Actually that would make some sense: just one point for keeping your zone and that's it. Would also stop vultures, but I'm afraid it would make people take less risks. I'd hate to hunt down and kill two people, and not gain any points because the camper was able to take the center of the zone while I was busy killing the other guys.

User avatar
1200
Round Winner
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:10 pm
Location: Another Planet

Re: Team Sumo Strategies

Post by 1200 »

Sir Lacka wrote:Actually that would make some sense: just one point for keeping your zone and that's it. Would also stop vultures.
Well if i was a vulture, i would still attack them and try to kill them so that they won't get the point for keepin the zone....

User avatar
Z-Man
God & Project Admin
Posts: 11425
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Re: Team Sumo Strategies

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah. Without kill scores, vultures have nothing to lose. Maybe not much to win without conquest and kill scores, too, but definitely nothing to lose.

User avatar
1200
Round Winner
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:10 pm
Location: Another Planet

Re: Team Sumo Strategies

Post by 1200 »

I mean if you want to stop vultures its easy just separate every zone with arena walls....

PsYkO
Core Dumper
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:39 pm

Re: Team Sumo Strategies

Post by PsYkO »

Anyone ever thought of making it 1 match take all to 3,000? That would solve every problem and it would announce a clear cut winner and take a lil more time in the opening round, but a lot less time in the semis and finals (if they are set up the same way as they are now).

Match 1
Team A 890 pts
Team B 900 pts

Match 2

Team A 900 pts
Team B 250 pts

Match 3
Team A 890 pts
Team B 900 pts

I think to 3,000 would be a better representation:

Match 1 to 3,000

Team A 2680
Team B 2050

User avatar
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1882
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:15 am
Location: LA, CA, USA, NA
Contact:

Re: Team Sumo Strategies

Post by DDMJ »

I disagree. Ask Lackadaisical; having a fresh start is good. In the 2nd WW Sumo tourney, in the finals, I destroyed the first match especially since the other 3 players weren't on their game. But, with a fresh start, Lack won the other 2 matches.

Goodygumdrops
Round Winner
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:39 am

Re: Team Sumo Strategies

Post by Goodygumdrops »

DDMJ wrote:I disagree. Ask Lackadaisical; having a fresh start is good. In the 2nd WW Sumo tourney, in the finals, I destroyed the first match especially since the other 3 players weren't on their game. But, with a fresh start, Lack won the other 2 matches.
make a post without talking about how good you are, and then maybe you'll have some credibility here
The once and future "I told you so."

User avatar
Van-hayes
Round Winner
Posts: 398
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:15 am
Location: The Maritimes

Re: Team Sumo Strategies

Post by Van-hayes »

Why all the hate for durka lately?
You've gone too far, turn back!

User avatar
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 822
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:58 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Team Sumo Strategies

Post by Lackadaisical »

If I recall correctly I was talking during that final how one longer match would've been better (than first to x) because all games were pretty close and I was really afraid it was going to be a five-match final. I was really happy I got the second win just so I could sleep :) (it was like 4 in the morning for me). Just because I won doesn't mean I suddenly think it's a good idea to keep it that way.

But it is more a TST problem than a team sumo problem.. not like we have been talking about team sumo strategies in the past three pages tough.

User avatar
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1882
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:15 am
Location: LA, CA, USA, NA
Contact:

Re: Team Sumo Strategies

Post by DDMJ »

Van-hayes wrote:Why all the hate for durka lately?
Goody has an odd sense of humor.
Lackadaisical wrote:Just because I won doesn't mean I suddenly think it's a good idea to keep it that way.
Oops, I meant it in a "hey-that-actually-benefited-him" kind of way.

Post Reply