Who covers center attacks in Fortress

Team Strategies go here, if you want to share that is...

Who should cover center attacks in Fortress?

Position #1
59%
Both wingmen
28%
Who cares, just let the defense handle it
13%

Total votes: 39

Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

I gave up on understanding rubber tbh when I managed to go down the middle of dorka & sage with them both adjusting..
All I know is doing a hard 4.8 at the start is usually unbeatable & if they cant physically get to the middle on the split ts'all good :)
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Hoax wrote:I gave up on understanding rubber tbh when I managed to go down the middle of dorka & sage with them both adjusting..
All I know is doing a hard 4.8 at the start is usually unbeatable & if they cant physically get to the middle on the split ts'all good :)
Right. Different players have different methods to do a close grind. I don't "doublegrind", I just instead do a direct grind onto the center. If I'm playing in 4th or 5th position, and the person in 2 or 3 doublegrinds, they usually end up dying.

Many players have it set in their mind that a doublegrind is required to get a good seal, which isn't the case.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

Nice topic with lots of interesting posts :D. Lets see if i can organize my thoughts and contribute.

Who covers center obviously depends on the starting formations of both teams. So lets start with the most common formation that i see. Pos 1 covers or tries to center attack while 2&3 double grind for speed to try and overtake opposing wings. 4&5 grind up and either move forward or return to sweep/defend depending on how large the team is. and the goalie covers center as well. If both teams play like this with an aggressive/defensive center respectively then on one team the goalie is covering. On the other team both 1 and goalie are, with pos 1 being the first line of def.

Wings in the previous situation double grinding for speed not closing. Double grinding usually leaves a fair amount of space to grind through as opposed to just normal grinding. So in that situation the wings do the least amount of covering center.

I remember during the spoon after the match against ss(where nemo[dlh] constantly got through center) me and luci came up with a double def designed solely to fight center attacks(this was a while back when strategies weren't as predictable). Designate 2 goalies with 1 creating a normal defense without covering center and the second staying inside covering center intricately until def 1 had secured a normal def. From there def 2 could take over the normal def leaving def 1 to sweep. I don't think we ever used it in an organized match though.

Also split(double def) with 2 goalies each covering half the zone makes center attacks pointless. Its too bad that this def is basically unused. 4 goalies with each defending a quadrant of the zone(never used afaik) leaves too many chances for something to go wrong.
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Hoax wrote:I gave up on understanding rubber tbh when I managed to go down the middle of dorka & sage with them both adjusting..
I'm not entirely sure, but I believe it's impossible to grind so hard that the other team can't go through.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

I peronally think the defender should be in the center, anyways, and brake and double back as late as possible. That definitely covers one side (the side he double backed against), and if he starts his defense loop in the other direction that one's covered, too. Due to the speed he gets he doesn't even lose a lot of time to make his first circle.
There's no place like ::1
Goodygumdrops
Round Winner

Re: Who covers center attacks in Fortress

Post by Goodygumdrops »

I really can't fathom why anyone would think that one person on a team should be solely responsible for stopping center attacks. Positions 1, 2, 3 and the defender should all contribute to helping stop them.
The once and future "I told you so."
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

I'm not sure if anyone except center and def should care much for center attacks. Pos 2&3 only need to gain enough speed to block opponents to prevent center attack between player 2&4 and 3&5 and let def and center take care of the rest. It's better to let opponents attack through center (and hope that they'll die at def's tail) than lose pos2 or 3 at start.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

GGD has it right.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

pike wrote:Pos 2&3 only need to gain enough speed to block opponents to prevent center attack between player 2&4 and 3&5...
But, that sentence proves the wingmen are also responsible for preventing center attacks. It's everyone's responsibility. :)
pike wrote:It's better to let opponents attack through center (and hope that they'll die at def's tail)...
I see your point, but the really good center attackers rarely go down easy. They violate the defense over and over again. I think that's part of why this discussion was started.
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

pike wrote:It's better to let opponents attack through center (and hope that they'll die at def's tail) than lose pos2 or 3 at start.
Then I guess you haven't seen me and other players during clan wars. It's almost always possible to time your run so you can get in their base. Also if you make a hole, your teammate can just go into that.
Joe
Core Dumper

Post by Joe »

The entire team has to work together to stop center attacks. It's not just up to certain players, the whole team has to do the right things to prevent them.
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

It can be done by everyone

Center attempts to seal off both sides, at least 1

Wings DG hard into the wall (4+ at least)

Defense loops around back of tails
teen
Round Winner

Post by teen »

The true way to stopping center attacks is to .... not have a center.

why cant pos 4 grind on pos 2 and pos 5 grind on pos 3 giviing them both speed.

pos 1 can double back and start sweeping or "lure" the enemies in teh center

But without a center... were will the center attack be?!