the tourny winning ctf strategy's

Team Strategies go here, if you want to share that is...
leviathan

the tourny winning ctf strategy's

Post by leviathan »

hey its levi! i am currently the team leader for Ww clan regular Ctf. In the past i led the MAC team.

Great 1v1 players dont make great teams. If you have a team of pure 1v1 players you're not going to win, the reason is simple, the players dont work together well. There is no I in team.

The teams that win in the Ctf tournies and will continue to win are the teams with the players who know how to work together. I am going to, in this post give you the strategies that these players use the most effectivly.

#1. The support possition
In Ctf tournys the usual amount of players are 4 per team. the obvious way to play them would be 2 offence 1 defence and 1 spawner.
Offencive players: always are doing something, attacking the flag, killing the enemies "midline" to score points. Or ganking the defender.
Defencive players: this player always has his/her hands full. whether they are defending the flag or just waiting for an enemy to come to close. They must always do something if they want the team to win.
The Respawner: This player, contrary to the others, is rarely doing his job, not because everyone who plays respawner is purely lazy. But because on a good team respawns rarely need to happen.

So everyone except the respawner always is doing something, so why not have the respawner do an extra job, there is no use to having him sit in the spawn point camping all day.

The job that was quickly accepted was the support position. the position was made to utilize the respawner and to help the defender as well.

How it works: The player hovers near the defence. when an enemy comes he/she comes off. and then comes closer to the defence as soon as the enemy offence grinds. The supports job is to kill the enemy offender by pressing him closer to the defender while the defender pushes out. A good support can kill people in a matter of seconds in this manner.

The second responsibility of the support is to respawn the team. However, they should only respawn if they are not helping the defender.

#2. The start
The start of each round is arguably the most important part of the round. Lets say the team your on suicides instantly. This gives the other team a immediate 2-0 win for the round. and if they're already winning it can drain your teams moral and lose you the game. It can be worse if one player survives. Because if that player decides not to suicide the other team can easily keep him alive and just do "flag runs" to score massive points.

For each team the start has a different strategy, the team developes it as time goes by to be the most effective for themselves.

#3. Suicides
Yes! suicides can be a wonderful idea but only in certain cercumstances.
Its the final match of the tournament, your team is up by 4 points. Your only player left is the defender. But he stays alive and goes to respawn. The other team grabs an easy flag, suddenly, your team is tied for the win.

Now what if he suicided.
Its the final match of the tournament, your team is up by 4 points. Your only player left is the defender. He quickly kills himself. The other team cant get the flag back to their base in time to score. Now your team is up 3 points still. A huge lead if the team knows how to use it well.

#4. The "lose your honor" strategy.
This strategy should never be used. it was only used in one case by the Wild West team when one of their players had to go. and later in the tournament it was used back at them to lose them the tourny.

This is the easiest strategy to use. It involves getting ahead by 10 points winning by 1 point.

The first round is the most important leave one defender and have your teamates hole. Steal flags and kill players till your team is up by 10 points.

scoreboard: 10-0

2nd round: have your entire team suicide, if you are not up by 10 points then finish the point scoring and die.

scoreboard 10:2

3rd round: suicide

scoreboard 10:4

4th round: suicide

scoreboard 10:6

You win!

this strategy is highly disliked by the community because of its unfairness to the other team. It is STRONGLY DISCOURAGED.

The strategy works simply because the +2 points the other team scores isnt enough to catch up to your teams points without extra points for scoring flags or kills. which they dont have enough time to do.

Hope this helps every1!
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Re: the tourny winning ctf strategy's

Post by Tank Program »

leviathan wrote:There is no I in team.
Apple's latest product... Introducing the iTeam! Digital collaboration software! You too can work with people across the world like they were next to you!
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

leviathan wrote:#4. The "lose your honor" strategy.
This strategy should never be used. it was only used in one case by the Wild West team when one of their players had to go. and later in the tournament it was used back at them to lose them the tourny.

This is the easiest strategy to use. It involves getting ahead by 10 points winning by 1 point.

The first round is the most important leave one defender and have your teamates hole. Steal flags and kill players till your team is up by 10 points.

scoreboard: 10-0

2nd round: have your entire team suicide, if you are not up by 10 points then finish the point scoring and die.

scoreboard 10:2

3rd round: suicide

scoreboard 10:4

4th round: suicide

scoreboard 10:6

You win!

this strategy is highly disliked by the community because of its unfairness to the other team. It is STRONGLY DISCOURAGED.

The strategy works simply because the +2 points the other team scores isnt enough to catch up to your teams points without extra points for scoring flags or kills. which they dont have enough time to do.
...which is exactly why SCORE_WIN should be set to at least 8 in that server (winning a round should be equivalent to (at least) 2 flag caps...if you can't stay alive for the round that's you're fault...heck, there's even respawning there!)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

This is amazing. First, 75% of the "strategy" you've outlined is based on suicide (points 2-4). Levi, are you suicidal? Do you need help? And second, this wasn't the winning team's strategy. It failed. They won the match, but lost the tourney, so I'm not sure why this is "the tourny winning ctf strategy's" as the topic implies. And if the "lose your honor" strategy should never be used, why include it? This post is sending a very bizarre message if you ask me.

And if you really do need help, this website helped me when I had problems:
http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/
Goodygumdrops
Round Winner

Post by Goodygumdrops »

DDMJ wrote: ...which is exactly why SCORE_WIN should be set to at least 8 in that server (winning a round should be equivalent to (at least) 2 flag caps...if you can't stay alive for the round that's you're fault...heck, there's even respawning there!)
This change would make ctf much more interesting to me from a theoretical standpoint. Unfortunately, in practice, the server would still be full of players who were not very good teammates.
roosh

Post by roosh »

Why not just change the last team standing score to 5 or 10?
It would eliminate such strategies.
Fortress Shoutout ----- FTW