"Holes"

Team Strategies go here, if you want to share that is...
akira
Core Dumper

"Holes"

Post by akira »

I think I have to bitchslap some of the "elitist" fortress players out there who constantly complain about them.

Holes just require alot more teamplay rom both sides. But since many players are just so l33t and happy about their ability to draw a flawless box they obviously get annoyed when clever players sacrifice one of theirs to break in.

Also holes are a viable defense strategy to recapture a zone.

The whole topic reminds me a bit of the "open" vs "closed" thing. Some guys are trying to enforce a certain way of playing. If you hate it.. set up a server without explosion holes.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

heh, not again :P

http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... 81&start=0

I think most players with half a brain accept holes as part of the game.
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

It is ridiculous to complain about holes during tournament play, that is for sure. You play to win by any means necessary in tournaments, and that includes holes.

Now PERSONALLY, I don't create, use, or like when players hole or use holes in regular fortress play for the fun factor. The same goes that I hardly ever go into a sumo circle that is 1v1 for again, the fun factor. I like to wander and see the two players duke it out and see who wins. I think it is almost disrespectful to ruin a sumo between Mazuffer and madmax just by entering the zone, do two double binds, and round is over.
akira
Core Dumper

Post by akira »

Heh.. sorry , missed the other thread.

Just heard the words: "omg.. holer" etc. alot lately.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I think this link that recently appeared in the topic for #armagetron (heh) answers the "omg holer!" question just fine:

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070407

(In case anybody's wondering where I got it, it's in the topic for #python)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Ricochet
Round Winner

Post by Ricochet »

haha, perfect. *grins*
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

If it's 3 vs 1 and the other team holes me, I don't like it :evil:.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

DDMJ wrote:If it's 3 vs 1 and the other team holes me, I don't like it :evil:.
If it's 1 vs 3 and the other team holes me, I love it.

(that's supposed to make it 0 v 3)

The fundamental question seems to me to be "who do you get mad at?" The anti-holers are getting mad at the holers, and the holers are getting mad at their own teams. Who do you think you should be mad at?

- Iron Maiden
MaZuffeR
Core Dumper

Post by MaZuffeR »

Why'd you need to get mad at all?

I pretty much agree with PsYkO, though I sometimes use holes in regular fortress, depends on the situation. But I don't get mad at anyone for holing or not holing, it's their choice.
winner of: Spoon, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 11th, 18th, 19th, 33rd, 34th and 48th Ladle.
Retired since 07/2012
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

DDMJ wrote:If it's 3 vs 1 and the other team holes me, I don't like it :evil:.
In a tournament setting, that is text-book. You shouldn't like it, I don't as a defender like it either, because we lose lol..That's mainly the team's fault for not surviving and leaving you with a 2 man disadvantage. The least they could do is leave you with a 1 man disadvantage so a hole would be silly to do.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

I hate it when they purposely hole.

I have changed my view on them a bit now.
I may hole if their team made the hole
I also attempt to hole when the holes are hard to get into aka they grind a while and die.
BUT having your own team create a hole just for the win i think is Unfair.

Could there be a setting that one team cannot make holes on another teams wall? I think this would be a rather interesting way to play. because people use the holes in the center of the grid. is that not that breaking through part of defense too?

Then again all holes are up for debate and there are always 2 or more views on a situation. all this opens up for is debate and a 5 page long topic of peoples views and ideas on a topic

Just thought i would post my updated view on it
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Luckily there's a setting for it, and people who prefer not to have holes can have it that way.

- Iron Maiden
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

I have a feeling teams/clans are going to challenge eachother in actual "no hole matches" where the setting is turned off.
Joe
Core Dumper

Post by Joe »

Taking away holes would be like taking away your left turn key, your taking away a huge aspect of the game. I could see maybe making them a little bit smaller, but for the most part holing is just part of the game now. I don't see why it needs a big discussion, they are there get used to it. use them if you want or don't. "Those that don't use holes lose" - (someones instant from ingame, i think like hoax or one of the X guys)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

indeed, I think taking away holes would make defense waaaay too strong. But if people want to bitch without taking action, I've got a silence menu with their names in it. :)

- Iron Maiden