Clans? Teams? Where? How?

Team Strategies go here, if you want to share that is...
Squirrel

Clans? Teams? Where? How?

Post by Squirrel »

Who? When?... ok sry. Where can a person find out about the different teams out there? I'm fairly new, but i think a clan match would be alot of fun. What clans are out there and how often are matches held? I'd definetly be interesting in joining one. I mean i'm no Locutus or n54 but i'm currently at the top of the breakfast server, at least until i play again and zerokill core dumps me repeatedly. Any info would be great, thx.
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

Clans tend to be a loose association of hoodlums and thieves. :) But seriously, they are loose associations. Look for a server with a clan member playing on it and connect to it and ask. Some clans are welcoming, some aren't.

Or perhaps the clanites come to this forum and can speak up?
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

it would be nice to have an organized team match ... can i call limette and kyle for my team?
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I don't play teams, but if I did, I wouldn't pick me!
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

Clans suck...ive been in a few...they always fall apart on tron..---look at [god] [smeg] [woh] etc... bad idea makeing one lol just ruin friendships in my opinion..
Damn, it sure has been a while!
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

We tried todo something around this time last year with organized teams, specific matches, rankings... It didn't work because it was too hard to co-ordinate internation matches and teams. Aparently no one can subtract 6 hours from their time and me their on time. (Or add 6 for that matter.) So it fell apart and was dropped.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Yeah i can understand that, having an organized clan is tough. Thats true with any game. Hmm, how about making a 3 person limit on a clan. Be alot easier to set up little mini matches. Just a thought. Also i know when u're in a game and u see a "player 1", its nice to grab a quick point, but i think we scare away too many new players. Has anybody thought about putting up a server called "All newbs/Player 1's go here". Then maybe setting up the server to give a couple basic hints. Anyways, plz give opinions.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Squirrel wrote:Yeah i can understand that, having an organized clan is tough. Thats true with any game. Hmm, how about making a 3 person limit on a clan. Be alot easier to set up little mini matches. Just a thought. Also i know when u're in a game and u see a "player 1", its nice to grab a quick point, but i think we scare away too many new players. Has anybody thought about putting up a server called "All newbs/Player 1's go here". Then maybe setting up the server to give a couple basic hints. Anyways, plz give opinions.
I'm interested in running a league with three seasons a year, playoffs, and championship. Teams would be set to an arbitrary size and should have more than what'll play (figure 6 people to be able to field a 3-man team). There are issues with this, but I think it's a good start. There would be league dues, and hopefully they'd cover having a server closer to the backbone (they would have to, I don't have the money to cover any differences out-of-pocket). I don't have time to run it right now, but when aa reaches a point where much of a league could be automated, then I could probably do it.

Basically, the problem you're going to run into, Squirrel, is that we all do this for fun. So frequently our servers take abackseat to our lives for various reasons. Because of that, getting more organized is problematic. So if you want one of us to step forward and take steps to further organize the game into various tournaments, leagues, teams, or whathaveyou, you kinda need to be willing to put up money. If enough people put up enough money, then someone could take the time.

There are several options for checking this. I ran that survey that got dismal response (most of the respondents said "I won't pay for it" for various reasons, ranging from really good to cheapskate). But I've had numerous people on the grid say they'd be willing to shell out upwards of $30/month! So I want to make two options avialable for people to put their money where their mouths are and see how it goes. I guess now's as good a time as any for one. Anyway...

1. A Paypal account you can put money in from the Breakfast website.
2. Breakfast merchandise (hats, shirts, thongs, etc)

For the first, I just need to make an email address and the accompanying paypal account (I don't currently have a checknig account, I don't recall if PayPal requires it, though).

For the second, I need artwork and various things. If there's anyone willing to give up artwork, or has suggestions for cool statements (Smoke me a kipper.... would be good if it weren't owned by Red Dwarf), then I'll be happy to give out karma points or something and then if a paid service materializes, people who contributed artwork would get a free thing or a discount or something.

The catch is, I can only make ways for people to give money. If enough money materializes (I've done breakdowns, but I'd have to shop it again and re-estimate costs), AND there is sufficient evidence of a certain amount of predictable growth, then I could jump on it. If it doesn't happen, well, sorry. At this point, it's the players who need to be able to speak up and put up, there are admins (me) ready to stand and deliver.

edit: there's a donate button on the breakfast website now

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

We had teams of 4 players... It was just a flop is all I can say. :roll:
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

Tank Program wrote:We had teams of 4 players... It was just a flop is all I can say. :roll:
are u talking about the boc tournaments? I think we should try again it would be fun
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I'm talking about the biggg thing we had last year...
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

the time just isn't right yet, but some day it will be

there's nothing stopping people from forming teams and from teams forming matches. myself i'm not interested as it quickly turns more ugly than fun.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

n54 wrote:myself i'm not interested as it quickly turns more ugly than fun.
Ya i definetly know what u mean there, ok thx for the info though, i definetly try to get my friends to play, only 1 so far. I'm trying to think of ways to get more people online. I still think a big problem is people join a game for the first time, and just get owned. I know it happened to me, but that just makes me wanna get better. Thats not the case with some people though. I really think there needs to be a noob server with no stats, somewhere people can learn. Anyways, see u on the grid. (also i'm apparently not smart enough to do the post stat thing from the breakfast server)
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

I LIKE TRON
stakes is high
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

root down wrote:I LIKE TRON

... who does that