Zapple's Server

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

Zapple's Server

Post by Zapple »

Can someone make a server for me, I cannot make a server because I am on a Mac. I would like it names "Zapple's Home Turf" I do NOT care if I cant be admin. I just want a place that I can call me own. You can e-mail me ( [email protected] ) or Instent Message me,

Yahoo. Reachtard123
AIM. Reach9555

to configure the settings. I would greatly appreciate it if SOMEONE would help. Thanks,

-Zap
Marrow
MVP - Project Contributor

Post by Marrow »

Are you on Mac OS X?
Eft 37

Post by Eft 37 »

I suspect he is, if he isn't, I am and am interested in a solution for Mac hosting.
Marrow

Post by Marrow »

If you know how to use gmake, you can build a dedicated server without the normally required libraries (SDL, SDL image, etc.).

Your first step would be to download the armagetron-dedicated server source code from armagetron.sourceforge.net

After you unzip it and untar it, you'll have to run these commands in the armagetron directory:

./configure --disable-glout
gmake install

The disable command tells autoconf to ignore dependency checks because you are building a server. If this doesn't work for you, I may just build you the binaries and send them to you. Let me know either way.
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

Yes

Post by Zapple »

I am Mac OSX Panther, And I have looked at the site many times, It ahs nothing to help me with making a deticated server. What is gmake, and what do you mean
Build you the binarys and send them to you
What are binarys?
Marrow

Re: Yes

Post by Marrow »

Zapple wrote:I am Mac OSX Panther, And I have looked at the site many times, It ahs nothing to help me with making a deticated server.
I now understand why you would feel the site cannot help you. However, let me explain how it could have. The Mac OS X operating system is a "pimped out" version of FreeBSD. This means that you can open a console or prompt in Panther and be able to compile source code (make programs), in this case, armagetron-dedicated server.

The website I provided you gave you the chance to download the source code for the game and compile (build) it yourself. You would have clicked on the linux link. Although you don't have linux, source code for this game is easily modifiable for Mac OS X. You only have to change one file, the configure script. The primary problems you would experience without any modification of configure would be that any Makefile you created would most likely not find specific dependency libraries. It would have been necessary for you to delete the configure file and build a new one on your system. Then it would be system specific, in this case, for Mac OS X.

However, given this comment:
What is gmake, and what do you mean
"GNU Make is a tool which controls the generation of executables and other non-source files of a program from the program's source files."

http://www.gnu.org/software/make/make.html

It's ok that you've never used it before. It was just a suggestion. GNU Make is more loyal to the C and C++ standards compared to the usual "Make" that comes with *nix systems. In the 1990s (although I'm not sure of the exact year off the top of my head) C++ went through some changes, it became more standardized (supposedly). GNU accounted for those changes. So, that is why when you compile older C++ source code using gmake, you'll see messages about depreciated code. Of course, this means nothing to you, since you don't program in a *nix environment.
Build you the binarys and send them to you. What are binarys?
Binaries is simply a *nix term for programs. Lastly, I use the term *nix because it's easier than saying linux or unix.
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

this is interesting maybe marrow could make the server-version? if so you should tell Z-man at the official site to get credit, fame, recognition, and so as to make it available there :mrgreen:
Marrow

Post by Marrow »

Good idea. I should probably do that. I'll send him an e-mail. :)
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

Sorry

Post by Zapple »

I'm sorry guys, I am not to good with computer terms. Can someone walk me thorugh step by step or just make a server for me? If you make one for mit can be called Zapple's Home Turf
L7

Post by L7 »

cant you just get yellow dog and compile it normally?
the greatest loss that of losing one's self can often pass as if it were nothing...every other loss 5 dollars a wife an arm etc is bound to be noticed...soren kierkegaard
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Odd...

Post by /dev/null »

Strange, I figured since someone took the time to compile an OSX binary they would of hit up the dedicated binary at the same time.