How to set up a fortress server, and how to deal with lag

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

rc3 is more current, beta4 is an older version. The gcc version is preferred, although the VC is exactly as current.

Generally you never change the settings.cfg, it is just there to provide default values, so just copy the lines from the wiki to your settings_custom.cfg and you should be fine.
There's no place like ::1
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

All that is required in rc3 to set up an exact clone is to put the line

Code: Select all

include examples/cvs_test/fortress_complete.cfg
into your newly created var/autoexec.cfg, and set up the server name and network settings the usual way. Of course, you'll also want to make the server unique, you can override the settings later in the file.

The map file the CVS Test Server used is exactly the one included.
clragon
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by clragon »

oooh! thanks for the help ^_^

now I have a working fortress server! The thing I forgot was to change the map in autoexe.cfg to the fortress map :oops:

is there a list of settings which the CVS server uses somewhere? It's kinda hard to check by console one by one while on the server :(
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You can open the file that is included :) It includes several other files, neatly sorted by politics, physics and game mode. All the files are somewhere in config/examples.
clragon
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by clragon »

z-man wrote:All the files are somewhere in config/examples.
I dont have examples under config :cry:

btw, I added some more info on the wiki page for fortress, please revise it because Im not sure if the info I wrote is 100% correct.
clragon
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by clragon »

ops how did I double post :(
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You must be looking in the wrong directory, because if including works, they have to be there somewhere. Try the directory where AA got installed to, not your user's data directory.
clragon
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by clragon »

I installed AA at D:\

so my config folder is at D:\config

I dont see a example folder under it :(
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Whoops, it appears we forgot to package that directory in Windows. You can get it from one of the source distributions, just unpack it.

Install to the root of d:\? Well, it's your PC...
clragon
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by clragon »

source distributions? I have found the source for game clients but none for server. . . :(

EDIT: nvm I found it in the client source ^_^

EDIT again:
BUG_COLOR_OVERFLOW 0
I couldn't find that line in any of my server files :(

also, I still dont quite understand the use of "include" if I type "include <location of .cfg file>" does the settings in that file overwrite the ones in my file? and does it matter where I write this include line? in other words would it make a difference if I put it in my server_custom.cfg instead of my autoexe.cfg?
zero

Post by zero »

right well this is a popular topic........i have config my server(2.8.1) to run with the CVS setting with the include statement and the map file found on the wiki. I seem to be having trouble with scoring. How do I get the team to recieve 10pts everytime they take the fortress and also 2pts for every indivudal player for every kill? I guess what I'm trying to ask is why does my clone of the cvs not work right? thanx for your help. -zero
Last edited by zero on Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I don't know which server is yours, so you leave me guessing :) Just putting

include examples/cvs_test/fortress_complete.cfg
at the top of your autoexec.cfg should set up an exact clone (as exact as the 0.2.8.1 code allows) of CVS Test, you just have to add your server name and network settings. You can then rummage through the included files and change the settings you disagree with further down in the file.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

# 0.2.8 fortress settings (preliminary): a fortress zone has a "conquered" property; it
# starts at 0, if it reaches 1, the fortress is conquered. It gets modified according
# to the following rules every second:

FORTRESS_CONQUEST_RATE .5        # the number of enemies inside the fortress zone is counted, multiplied with this value and added to the "conquered" variable. Increase this to make conquering easier.
FORTRESS_DEFEND_RATE .25         # the number of owners inside the fortress zone is counted, multiplied with this value and subtracted from the "conquered" variable. Increase to make defending easier.
FORTRESS_CONQUEST_DECAY_RATE .1  # this value is subtracted. Increase to make defending easier.

# what happens when a zone gets conquered

FORTRESS_CONQUERED_SCORE 0        # the conquering party gets this many points (divided among the conquerors)
FORTRESS_CONQUERED_WIN 0          # if set to 1, the conquering party wins the round
FORTRESS_CONQUERED_KILL_MIN 0     # the closest X players of the owning team get killed at least
FORTRESS_CONQUERED_KILL_RATIO 0.0 # this fraction of the players of the owning team get killed

FORTRESS_SURVIVE_WIN 1            # if set to 1, the last team with an unconquered zone wins the round
FORTRESS_MAX_PER_TEAM 0           # if > 0, this is the maximal number of fortress zones ownable by a team. Closer zones are prefered. Use this to prune noninhabited zones in multi-team maps.

The kill points is Score_kill (number)
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

rofl, /me bangs head on wall. 2006 post xP
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Blazing Pheonix
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: How to set up a fortress server, and how to deal with lag