Dedicated server on raspberry pi

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
Galaxip
Core Dumper

Dedicated server on raspberry pi

Post by Galaxip »

Hi, I just joined

I'm very interested in compiling armagetron dedicated server to run on a raspberry pi to see how well it performs

Do you have a link to an idiots guide for such

Thanks
Last edited by Galaxip on Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Dedicated server on raspberry pi

Post by Lucifer »

You do realize that the "armagetron on raspberry pi" news item was an April Fool's prank, right?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

The pi 3 probably could handle it, if you have a good SD card, you just don't need extremely good because the pi cannot handle those.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Well, maybe you should ask vov, 'cause
vov wrote:I have a potato. It runs servers. Try them out if you want. There'll probably be cool stuff soon. :-)
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

It's not a pi though :D (although I did consider replacing it with a pi). As far as I'm aware pis run something pretty similar to Debian though. There's a tutorial for that here: http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php? ... evelopment
I'm not sure on how up-to-date that page is considering the libraries, but v0.2 (what you probably want for a server) has been around for ages so it should do fine. The instructions are for a client too as far as I can tell - the server won't need graphics stuff such as SDL iirc. If you're really unlucky you're gonna have to compile one or two of the libraries yourself (in that case, google is your friend on how to do those!).
In the step "Get Sources", I recommend the "From BZR" option, though anything that gets you an up-to-date version of the source is fine.

In the step "configure", you'll need to tell it to build the server instead of the client - you do that with the flag --enable-dedicated (and --enable-armathentication for logins); I recommend doing configure --help anyways. I think the configure script also checks for all the needed libraries so you can actually try that part of the process before installing libraries you wouldn't need.

I do remember seeing a server that claimed to run on a pi that ran pretty well. And from seeing what tron servers need for resources on my machine (not much), I agree that it should do pretty well.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

I am pretty sure Swag had his pi running a server. He said it didn't run it perfectly, but that may be expected. He was using a Debian distro I believe. I forget what it was called.
Galaxip
Core Dumper

Post by Galaxip »

never noticed the date was 01/04 oh well

i will try to follow the guide for compiling on linux and see what happens
Image Image Image Image
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

One of my master servers is running merrily on a raspi 2. The regular Linux compilation instructions worked just fine for me.
Galaxip
Core Dumper

Post by Galaxip »

my thanks to everyone
special thanks to vov for the detailed information

see you all soon
Image Image Image Image
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Z-Man wrote:One of my master servers is running merrily on a raspi 2. The regular Linux compilation instructions worked just fine for me.
Well, the pi wasn't advanced enough at the time of the april fool's prank. :) It would be quite a merry experience to see the prank turn into reality and have Tank claim he had knowledge of the future.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

He did have knowledge of the future, he got the hell out'a here before it died 8)
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Light wrote:I am pretty sure Swag had his pi running a server. He said it didn't run it perfectly, but that may be expected. He was using a Debian distro I believe. I forget what it was called.
I don't know what he might have used but I have Raspbian on my pi - though it's really only being used as a print server, I don't exactly have the most powerful version in the world (although I have gotten an armagetron server running on a pentium 2 laptop (running linux) but that's another story AND that laptop no longer exists [it died near the end of 2015 :cry: ])

The same laptop got about 18 FPS on 320x200 resolution in armagetron client with the lowest visual settings... It was enough to play a bit, and since the FPS didn't really go up or down...

Anyway, upon looking into it, the Orange Pi is slightly cheaper and it looks like it has a slightly faster CPU(???) but I'm not sure how well it actually works...
Galaxip
Core Dumper

Post by Galaxip »

hi, ive been away a while but just had a go at compiling 0.2.9 sty+ct+ap on my raspberry pi model 2 B using the instructions on https://www.armanelgtron.tk/styctap/ins ... yctap.html

I followed everything there then only thing I couldnt install was ftgl-dev from the line

sudo apt-get install bzr build-essential automake libboost-dev libxml2-dev ftgl-dev libglew-dev bison pkg-config autoconf autotools-dev protobuf-compiler screen nano libxml2

after compilation the server does work and players can join from master server but I have two issues

1) screen doesnt show any output when I type screen -r my_server_name

2) after a random time the server seems to drop all connections but I can rejoin it (it coud be crashing and restarting but I have no output on screen to check)

Any ideas guys ?

Thanks
Image Image Image Image
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Galaxip wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:26 pm 1) screen doesnt show any output when I type screen -r my_server_name
The start script on that page appends the output to "console.txt" in the server folder. You can watch the output using tail -f console.txt

If you want to see the output with screen, in server.sh replace >> with | tee -a. That line will look like this:

Code: Select all

$tron --vardir $var --userconfigdir $settings --input $command | tee -a $console
Galaxip
Core Dumper

Post by Galaxip »

thanks for that nelg and thanks for your help in game

found the random crashing is mostly due to the zones, any zone appears (win, death, zombie etc) the server crashes

also if respawn is enabled the server will run ok but after some random time (less than 20 mins) the server will crash

strange issues

im going to recompile again and save the output this time to see if there are any clues
Image Image Image Image