Sty+ct+ap server

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Sty+ct+ap server

Post by Light »

Tannermon11 wrote:There is no ladderlog.txt at all in the directory ._.
If you added the setting I wrote above, and there's still no ladderlog.txt, you should make sure the user running the game has write permissions for the var directory.
Tannermon11
Average Program

Post by Tannermon11 »

I looked at the enclosed file alsoand the setting for others is set to read-only and for folders access files only. I try to change it in there but it keeps resetting it. Not sure if that matters since I don't know if it's being executed by 'others' There's only one account on this so.. not sure if the server counts as 'other'
Light

Post by Light »

Tannermon11 wrote:Image
I looked at the enclosed file alsoand the setting for others is set to read-only and for folders access files only. I try to change it in there but it keeps resetting it
Here's all of my settings I use for scripts / ladderlog. The one I gave you should have been the only one you needed, but if that didn't work you can try adding all of these. Also, make sure you reboot the server after adding it to your settings.

Code: Select all

WAIT_FOR_EXTERNAL_SCRIPT  1|1 
WAIT_FOR_EXTERNAL_SCRIPT_TIMEOUT 3 
LADDERLOG_WRITE_NEXT_ROUND 1 
LADDERLOG_WRITE_ALL 1|1
LADDERLOG_GAME_TIME_INTERVAL 1
Tannermon11
Average Program

Post by Tannermon11 »

Got all those settings already in settings_custom.cfg
x.x
Light

Post by Light »

Tannermon11 wrote:Got all those settings already in settings_custom.cfg
x.x
Well, if you have permissions to write (and the server is running with your user), and the settings are set to write the logs out, I'm not too sure as to why you wouldn't have logs. Maybe ap has extra log settings you need to enable? You could try using sty+ct and seeing if your stuff is working.

I think I remember Lover saying something about the logs on ap a while back, but I don't remember specifically what it was. Being that I'm not a ap user, you'll have to wait for someone more familiar with it.
Tannermon11
Average Program

Post by Tannermon11 »

LOL I just found ladderlog_enabled set to 0
shit it's posting all the ladderlog ingame
When I changed it to 1, it created a ladderlog.txt file and started outputting to it however it was also outputting in game
LOL nvm forget what I said I forgot what script was currently running >.<
Tannermon11
Average Program

Post by Tannermon11 »

So I've never done this in a virtual machine before(VMware) and was wondering how you would port forward it through to a virtual machine. I tried searching google but didn't have any luck. I tried using the bridge mode but then the virtual machine lost an internet connection and no matter what I tried to do to connect to it from windows, I couldn't.
When it's on NAT I can connect to it using the inet address in ifconfig but I can't port forward that address because it's not part of my lan network. Since nat is suppose to share the host's ip address does that mean I can just port forward my internal ip on windows and it would therefore do the one on the virtual machine?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Bridged networking plus direct forwarding from your router to the virtual machine SHOULD work. Maybe the host is blocking bridged networking. Dunno how, dunno how to fix it. If you go with NAT, you need to first forward the port from your router to your host PC and then, using your host network settings, forward it on to the VM. Again, I have to admit I completely don't know how to do that. I used to know for a Linux host, but it was ages ago that I last needed that and the relevant tech changed since then. Twice.
Tannermon11
Average Program

Post by Tannermon11 »

So this is what I tried to do with NAT.
I am port forwarding the host's ip and then I went into vmnetnat.conf (for VMware) on the host and under [incomingudp] I put in the ip of the host along with the ports for armagetron (4534 etc) I then restarted the network adapter VMnet8. I saw my external ip in the terminal as the server started. I tried to connect using custom connect to the ip I had port forwarded as well as put in the conf but it was not making any connection. Any ideas? This seems like what should be done but wasn't working x.x

EDIT:
I figured it out!!!!!
I ended up using the virtual network editor and went into NAT settings and added a port forward in there for host port 4534 and the virtual machines ip address which is found in ifconfig.

Edit: So I checked internet game and didn't see it listed there, there is only one thing I noticed. The server is now appearing in the LAN game (it didn't use to be there at all). I'm not sure if it is online now since it is not on the internet list, but I can custom connect to the server now using my host's ip address (which is being port forwarded on my router)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

If it's working on your LAN and being picked up by the broadcast pings being sent, then it should work on the internet.

The next step is for you to double check your router and ensure the ports are being forwarded from that. When you're confident your router is forwarding the ports to your PC, and you already know your PC is forwarding the ports to the VM, then it's time to work on the armagetron config files.

In the armagetron config files, one of the config items you put in settings_server.cfg (I think that's what I named it, but I've forgotten, it's been awhile since I set up a server) is the master server setting. I think it's REPORT_TO_MASTER, but if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will point that out. Whatever the right setting name is, you set it to 1 to report to the master server.

Now, here's where the port forwarding stuff really matters. The master servers ping the game servers periodically to see if they're online, and if they're not, they get automatically removed from the list. If your port forwarding config doesn't work for some reason, it's possible your server *is* reporting itself to the master servers, but isn't responsive to pings. This is the part where you need one of us who run a master server to check the logs, so make sure you've got the last two paragraphs done and you're confident it should work. Then you'll have to give us an IP address so we can search the master server logs to see if we've even heard from your server. However, if you do those two paragraphs correctly, you'll know for yourself when you see your server in the list. :) Also, be aware it can take several minutes to be reliably listed by the master servers, so you could have it right already, but are testing too quickly.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Tannermon11
Average Program

Post by Tannermon11 »

I had a friend try to connect to it but he was not able to. Talk_to_master is set to 1, but it doesn't seem like it is getting sent out. I've only seen the terminal show my ip on it, but never had any other ip show up on it and had it running for at least 30 minutes.

So I just did a test, I ran the windows version of the server on my computer and the server appeared instantly on the internet list, so it sounds like port forwarding is set up correctly from my computer to the internet but not from computer to virtual machine.
Last edited by Tannermon11 on Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Light

Post by Light »

Tannermon11 wrote:I had a friend try to connect to it but he was not able to. Talk_to_master is set to 1, but it doesn't seem like it is getting sent out. I've only seen the terminal show my ip on it, but never had any other ip show up on it and had it running for at least 30 minutes.
If you're not seeing pings from other users, then it's because the master server does not have your server listed. You say TALK_TO_MASTER is set, so the next most likely issue is that your ports are not properly forwarded.

You can check this by trying to have someone custom connect, though it sounds as if that's what you tried. When custom connect fails on a vanilla server, you need to check the ports are properly forwarded.

It sounds as if you've pointed your outgoing to the VM rather than incoming. If you want to connect locally, you'll probably have to do both, though depending on the setup of your router, you may only need the incoming connection pointed to it.

You could also check from another computer on the same network, though I'm not positive on what port forwarding requirements are necessary in LAN, so it may be more relaxed.
Tannermon11
Average Program

Post by Tannermon11 »

Hey light check my edit, I don't think it was included in your quote
Light

Post by Light »

Tannermon11 wrote:Hey light check my edit, I don't think it was included in your quote
Sounds like what I was trying to say. Your computer needs to route the incoming port to the VM.
Tannermon11
Average Program

Post by Tannermon11 »

Using the virtual network editor I put in the host port (4534) type udp along with the ip address of the VM into the port forwarding of the NAT settings for VMnet8.
I have this in vmnetnat.conf in [incomingudp] which (should) take a connection that connects to my computer on port 4534 and then forward it to port 4534 on the virtual machine matching that ip.
4534 = 192.168.5.128:4534

Found the description for that at: https://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/ ... ork21.html