A question about ruby scripting in .4 and built in webserver

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

A question about ruby scripting in .4 and built in webserver

Post by compguygene »

I noticed when I compiled a dedicated server from the latest trunk code that there is an option

Code: Select all

--enable-ruby
It says to enable ruby scripting api. Requires ruby to be installed. (default=disabled).

I was wondering what the ruby api is and what can be done with it. If it's not documented, can you point me to where in the code I can read to get an idea of what it does.

Also, I noticed,

--wwwrootdir=DIR        web root [[DATADIR/www-root]]
I have seen mention on these forum of some sort of built in webserver for armagetron, now that I see this compiler option, I have to ask what can be done with it, if anything.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Durf
Match Winner

Re: A question about ruby scripting in .4 and built in webse

Post by Durf »

xampp = Apache + PHP + MySQL + Perl
I mean, if tron had a webserver (apache?), I would want PHP...if it has PHP (then scripting is taken care of), I would want MySQL...etc..

But still, I think it would be a neat addition to tron - like everyone can host their own little website from within tron.
compguygene wrote:I have seen mention on these forum of some sort of built in webserver for armagetron, now that I see this compiler option, I have to ask what can be done with it, if anything.
I too would like to know more about it
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Durf wrote:xampp = Apache + PHP + MySQL + Perl
I mean, if tron had a webserver (apache?), I would want PHP...if it has PHP (then scripting is taken care of), I would want MySQL...etc..
It would make much more sense if it were just a server status page. Kind of like some torrent clients do. I don't see the need to get a full blown web server going with every distribution of an armagetron game server.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

I guess what I was suggesting was the pointlessness of adding extra software into tron when those who want that functionality can easily get it.
(tron + xampp can offer more than just tron with a built in webserver. Plus, xampp is easy to get, install, and use)

Not sure what the extent of a server status page would be..(tbh maybe I'm getting the wrong idea of the purpose of a webserver in tron)
Would it show server settings? Would it only be available through tron? (no web browsers)

Maybe I'm missing something...but that's why I want to know more about this feature.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Well, this wiki page has been up in its current form for a long time. It somewhat explains what is going on. However, since I noticed the compiler option, I decided it was time to ask the devs more about it.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Light wrote:
Durf wrote:xampp = Apache + PHP + MySQL + Perl
It would make much more sense if it were just a server status page. Kind of like some torrent clients do. I don't see the need to get a full blown web server going with every distribution of an armagetron game server.
Ultimately, it's to provide two things:

1) A visual admin interface for the server
2) A json (or other RPC-type of interface) to integrate with a bigger website.

The recommended way to make information from it available is going to ultimately be using an apache proxy (or whatever server you prefer), which should be a bit more secure than anything we'll be able to provide.

In it's current form, it's only a proof of concept. The admin command interface isn't as easy to reach as I'd hoped when I started it, and I haven't even looked at it in awhile. I think the last thing I did was disable building it by default because I didn't know when I'd be able to get back to it.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

compguygene wrote:I noticed when I compiled a dedicated server from the latest trunk code that there is an option

--enable-ruby
It says to enable ruby scripting api. Requires ruby to be installed. (default=disabled).

I was wondering what the ruby api is and what can be done with it. If it's not documented, can you point me to where in the code I can read to get an idea of what it does.
Thanks for your response about the built in webserver. What about the Ruby scripting api?