Server not seeing its configuration files

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Server not seeing its configuration files

Post by compguygene »

I just built a new trunk server, since Lucifer merged the .4 and trunk code. When I tried to test a new server with it, Vov's three team fortress, it came up with an error I have also seen when I built the client from trunk when launching the server.

Code: Select all

[0] Inside !forcefetchInside !forcefetchInside !forcefetchBound socket to *.*.*.
Although I do understand that is likely unrelated to the problem that I am having.

The server's configuration files are located in /home/compguygene/trunk/servers/threetmft/var. After the server was launched, I did check that directory, and the files that Armagetron creates were created there and recorded what happened in the server. However, on the server console, when I typed SERVER_NAME it changed it from Unknown Name to . indicating that it did not set a name. Then I tried

include settings_custom.cfg
and got this error

[0] Configuration file "settings_custom.cfg" to be included not found.
However, that file, and the server_info.cfg that I tried and a few others were in the directory that had the files that Armagetron created, it just didn't see them.

Any ideas?
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Re: Server not seeing its configuration files

Post by kyle »

three questions that may be helpful

How did you compile it?

How did you start it?

What are the file permissions?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

We no longer include configuration files from the var folder in 0.4. Players can partially control the contents of that folder. On 0.2.8, we still allow *.cfg files to be included from there for compatibility reasons and because none of the native player controllable files have that extension.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

kyle wrote:three questions that may be helpful

How did you compile it?

How did you start it?

What are the file permissions?
Good point, I should have stated those things first.

bzr lp:armagetronad
cd armagetronad
./bootstrap.sh
./configure --prefix=/home/compguygene/trunk  --enable-dedicated --enable-armathentication --enable-ruby
make 
make install

These operations were done on an Ubuntu 14.04 VPS as a regular user. The only errors encountered were at the end of the make install, it failed on the creation of the uninstallation script.
I started the server using a script. But to ensure that the script was not the problem, I manually entered the following command to start the server, which other than lacking to start it in a screen, is the same as the script:

/home/compguygene/bin/armagetronad-dedicated --vardir home/compguygene/servers/threetmft/var
As to the file permissions, I did ensure that I own the files with a

chown -hR /home/compguygene compguygene
and in every other way the file permissions are normal.
Z-Man wrote:We no longer include configuration files from the var folder in 0.4. Players can partially control the contents of that folder. On 0.2.8, we still allow *.cfg files to be included from there for compatibility reasons and because none of the native player controllable files have that extension.
By this did you think that I was running a server from my client? I now realize that from my initial post that was very unclear. I am running a server on a VPS. I have seen the same, unrelated error on my server console and on a client build on my desktop PC.
So, are you saying that we me having started the server with the command

/home/compguygene/bin/armagetronad-dedicated --vardir /home/compguygene/servers/threetmft/var
I still can't keep config files in the /home/compguygene/servers/threetmft/var directory? If not there, then where?
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Well, 0.4 has a place called config/ where you put your configuration files... you dont put them in var/
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

compguygene wrote:By this did you think that I was running a server from my client?
No. We disabled loading configuration files from the var folder on the server because it is partly in control of the players on the connected clients.

Change your launch line to

/home/compguygene/bin/armagetronad-dedicated --userdatadir /home/compguygene/servers/threetmft
and configuration files will be read from /home/compguygene/servers/threetmft/config/ . The var directory will stay in the same place. I hope.

They are also, by default, read from
/home/compguygene/trunk/etc/games/armagetronad/
where the sample and default configuration should be installed, but I suppose you want to run multiple servers from the same build, so that is of no use. Also, the binary path in your start line does not match the prefix given during configure time which can happen if you install it manually or by passing a different prefix during installation; both would move the system configuration directory to
/home/compguygene/etc/games/armagetronad/
It's complicated!
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

It works. Creating a config directory and putting the cfg files there fixed that. Just to clarify, my script does specify the var directory in the same tree as the config directory. I misstated that above when I said I started the server with a different directory than my prefix. I had merely not put the proper full path of /home/compguygene/trunk/bin/armagetronad-dedicated when I typed my message, which I should have just copy/pasted from my server console.
Thank you for your help, it is always appreciated.