Dedicated server 0.2.8.3.2 opens two sockets instead of one

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
Apo

Dedicated server 0.2.8.3.2 opens two sockets instead of one

Post by Apo »

Hi everyone,

I have sucessfully installed the dedicated server, version 0.2.8.3.2, from the next stable release of Debian aka Jessie. Everything went fine, the server is listed on the internet and playing is possible. However I wonder why the server opens two sockets for one PID.

My server_info.cfg:

SERVER_IP xxx.x.xx.xxx
SERVER_PORT 4534
TALK_TO_MASTER 1
MESSAGE_OF_DAY MyMOTD
URL http://example.com
SERVER_NAME MydedicatedServer
SERVER_OPTIONS default settings

According to the information in settings_dedicated.cfg I would have expected that there was only one open socket which listens on port 4534. But there is a second one that listens on all interfaces and a random port. Even more strangely the second socket and port changes after the server has been running for some time.

Is this intended behavior and if not how can I configure a dedicated server that listens only on one IPv4 interface and standard port 4534 without having a second open socket that gets blocked by my firewall anyway?

Thanks
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Dedicated server 0.2.8.3.2 opens two sockets instead of

Post by Z-Man »

The second port is the outgoing port used for communications with the master servers. No special reason for leaving it open all of the time even while it is not needed, just ignore it. And as it's for outbound connections, your firewall should be fine with it.
Apo

Re: Dedicated server 0.2.8.3.2 opens two sockets instead of

Post by Apo »

Thanks for your quick reply.

Cheers