Setting LIMIT_ROUNDS very high resets back to 10?

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
Camo Yoshi

Setting LIMIT_ROUNDS very high resets back to 10?

Post by Camo Yoshi »

Hey all,

I'm setting up a server for a friend's LAN party and we're planning to play for 3+ hours and determine the winner based on point total, and not round total. If I try to set the LIMIT_ROUNDS option to 9999, it just resets to 10. Is there a maximum value it expects or can I exclude this option entirely? I don't want to have any rounds. :)

Thank you!

UPDATE: It seems it will take 999 as a value, which will work for my situation. However if there is a option to disable rounds entire I'd still love to know about it. :)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Setting LIMIT_ROUNDS very high resets back to 10?

Post by sinewav »

I can't reproduce the bug, can you tell us what version of the game you are running and what operating system? Are you entering the settings manually into the console or are you editing one of the configuration files?

I would suggest adding the file autoexec.cfg to you home/armagetron/var folder with the following settings:

Code: Select all

LIMIT_ROUNDS 9999
LIMIT_SCORE 9999
LIMIT_TIME 180    # 3 hours in minutes.
Also keep in mind there is a difference between LIMIT_TIME and SP_LIMIT_TIME. Settings with the prefix SP_ are for single player mode and the ones without the prefix are multi-player. Take a look at a list of common commands on the wiki if you haven't done so yet.

Let us know if this helps.
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

There is also SP_LIMIT_ROUNDS/SCORE etc. when you play in single player mode.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

I do not believe there is a limit to the rounds nor do I see it in the actual game code. I also couldn't reproduce that issue of yours like sinewav. I just believe somewhere within your settings its returning the value of rounds limit to 10. Please check carefully a few more times just to be sure. :)

SP stands for Single Player or when only one player is presently playing on the grid.

@sinewav
Dude that's overkill in my opinion I know your only being helpful so its fine I guess :)

Here is the order in which config files are loaded during start of the client/server (got this off the game code):

1. user.cfg
2. settings.cfg
3. settings_dedicated.cfg
- First Use: default.cfg
4. moviepack/settings.cfg
5. autoexec.cfg
Please note that loading settings_custom.cfg config file is located inside of settings_dedicated.cfg config file.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Don't forget

WIN_ZONE_MIN_ROUND_TIME
must be set as high as the round time, or DZ will get you.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

ConVicT wrote:Don't forget

WIN_ZONE_MIN_ROUND_TIME
must be set as high as the round time, or DZ will get you.
By default that setting actually activates the win zone. Never-the-less, I agree the [SP_]WIN_ZONE_MIN_ROUND_TIME should be set to a high time if they want to play for 3+ hours. :)
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Yes, or win zone will get you. Ends the round regardless :)
Actually thought death zone was default though, and thought it was strange that it wasn't DEATH_ZONE_MIN_ROUND_TIME.
Maybe it's because I've always rented my servers and it's the way it was set up before I got it.
Camo Yoshi

Post by Camo Yoshi »

sinewav wrote:I can't reproduce the bug, can you tell us what version of the game you are running and what operating system? Are you entering the settings manually into the console or are you editing one of the configuration files?

I would suggest adding the file autoexec.cfg to you home/armagetron/var folder with the following settings:

LIMIT_ROUNDS 9999
LIMIT_SCORE 9999
LIMIT_TIME 180    # 3 hours in minutes.
Also keep in mind there is a difference between LIMIT_TIME and SP_LIMIT_TIME. Settings with the prefix SP_ are for single player mode and the ones without the prefix are multi-player. Take a look at a list of common commands on the wiki if you haven't done so yet.

Let us know if this helps.
Sorry for not mentioning earlier, server running 0.2.8.3.2 on Win8.1 x64.

I adjusted both SP_ and non-SP_ just for consistency; in both cases it would not accept the value 9999 and would set back to 10. I didn't try entering via the console, I only edited the autoexec.cfg file.

Thanks for all the posts; if you guys would like me to keep playing with this to see if it's a bug I'd be happy to do so. I can post a copy of my config if desired. :)

Also apologies for not checking back here; I've been crazy busy recently. :P

-Camo
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Thanks for posting the version of that, it will help. I am currently using Windows 8 x64 and I just quickly did that setting check with autoexec.cfg. It allowed my settings to change the setting value to 9999. So I don't really understand why in your case it doesn't work unless a bug has been exploited by mistake in your version.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Hmmm... Maybe a mismatch between the program directory and the home folder?

Can you go ahead and .zip up .cfg files and attach them here for us to look at? This is curious.
Camo Yoshi

Post by Camo Yoshi »

sinewav wrote:Hmmm... Maybe a mismatch between the program directory and the home folder?

Can you go ahead and .zip up .cfg files and attach them here for us to look at? This is curious.
Ok, here they are: http://ftp.floorchan.org/users/camoyoshi/config.zip (62KB)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I can't see why it doesn't work. My suggestion is to kill autoexec.cfg completely, then put ONLY the settings you want to change into settings_custom.cfg

SP_SCORE_WIN 1
SP_LIMIT_SCORE 100000
SP_LIMIT_ROUNDS 999
SP_LIMIT_TIME   900
SCORE_WIN 1
LIMIT_SCORE 100000
LIMIT_ROUNDS 999
LIMIT_TIME   900
Double check that you are only making changes in one place, either the program folder or your home folder.
Camo Yoshi

Post by Camo Yoshi »

sinewav wrote:I can't see why it doesn't work. My suggestion is to kill autoexec.cfg completely, then put ONLY the settings you want to change into settings_custom.cfg

SP_SCORE_WIN 1
SP_LIMIT_SCORE 100000
SP_LIMIT_ROUNDS 999
SP_LIMIT_TIME   900
SCORE_WIN 1
LIMIT_SCORE 100000
LIMIT_ROUNDS 999
LIMIT_TIME   900
Double check that you are only making changes in one place, either the program folder or your home folder.
Ok, I'll scrap autoexec.cfg and move the contents to settings_custom.cfg. I am only editing the text files in the Program Files folder.

EDIT: After doing the above, it seems to accept values about 999; I also set the value manually via the console as well and it took. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Well if your satisfied with 999 then so be it, good work! :)

Although I know it may be stupid to continue this but I'm just posting of my proof of it working for me. So it just interested me that higher values than 999 don't work :/
Test 1 - Changing Values.
Test 1 - Changing Values.
Test 2 - Playing 2 rounds.
Test 2 - Playing 2 rounds.