map uploading

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
DawZ
On Lightcycle Grid

map uploading

Post by DawZ »

lol, i feel so stupid that i don't know this; i bet that there was already a topic for this once but i couldn't find it. i make tons of racing maps and stuff on durf's AAmap maker. but how do i actually put it on a server. i know the code map_file, but what exactly do i put in there? what steps do i take? i know this is probably so easy. :lol:
DawZ
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Re: map uploading

Post by LOVER$BOY »

@Light
Aren't you forgetting about something?

@DawZ
You can either choose to host the maps yourself in online resources or ask someone to upload your map so you can play it in a server. I myself host maps for users to use in servers though recently I made it so only registered users are allowed to upload maps.

Now did you set the following attributes in <Resource ...> correctly?

Code: Select all

author
name
version
category
After that you basically need to put them in their rightful folders. This is how the it works:

{author}/{category}/{name}-{version}.aamap.xml
Basically

{author} -> is a folder
{category} -> is a or many folders. You can have many folders in there with "/" separating each folder.
Using that gives you what you need to put into your MAP_FILE command.

If you want me, Light or anyone else to host your map, just ask away. :)
If you want to immediately upload your map then I'll provide my service: http://vertrex.8ing.com/aa/

Afterwards don't forget to update your below settings :)

RESOURCE_REPOSITORY_CLIENT
RESOURCE_REPOSITORY_SERVER
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

lol Not forgotten. There's just enough posts and I'm pretty sure it's on the wiki as well, I didn't feel the need to go through it.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

The wiki is a big place to search for the information needed. Whereas here it could've been done in minutes.

Anyway I think you forgot that wiki link you refereed to is broken or no longer available. Luke-jr doesn't seem to receive or care much for the game anymore. No response from him in over 3-4 years. Which is why epsy decided to make the main resource repository functional again.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

LOVER$BOY wrote:Anyway I think you forgot that wiki link you refereed to is broken or no longer available. Luke-jr doesn't seem to receive or care much for the game anymore. No response from him in over 3-4 years. Which is why epsy decided to make the main resource repository functional again.
Ah. I've never used it, so I wasn't actually aware. I've always just hosted my own, since it seems to be easier for me.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Light wrote:Ah. I've never used it, so I wasn't actually aware. I've always just hosted my own, since it seems to be easier for me.
Ya, I know what you mean. It's precisely why most of us server managers/owners/hosters use our own resource repository for maps :)
Core Dumper

Post by *16 »

LOVER$BOY wrote:The wiki is a big place to search for the information needed. Whereas here it could've been done in minutes.

Anyway I think you forgot that wiki link you refereed to is broken or no longer available. Luke-jr doesn't seem to receive or care much for the game anymore. No response from him in over 3-4 years. Which is why epsy decided to make the main resource repository functional again.
Is it actually functional again? I don't seem to find the main resource repository working? Or I have the old one, which Luke-Jr hosted.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

LOVER$BOY wrote: Luke-jr doesn't seem to receive or care much for the game anymore. No response from him in over 3-4 years. .
I got a Lightfoot server about 4 years ago, stopped paying for it, told him I didn't want it any more, and it's still up!
You'd think if he doesn't care about the game, he'd stop hosting servers you're supposed to pay for, for free lol.
Not as good as my current one, so I still don't use it.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

ConVicT wrote:
LOVER$BOY wrote: Luke-jr doesn't seem to receive or care much for the game anymore. No response from him in over 3-4 years. .
I got a Lightfoot server about 4 years ago, stopped paying for it, told him I didn't want it any more, and it's still up!
You'd think if he doesn't care about the game, he'd stop hosting servers you're supposed to pay for, for free lol.
Not as good as my current one, so I still don't use it.
No, I meant about the map hosting side of things.