Setting up a ladle server

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
theo
Round Winner

Re: Ladle 74

Post by theo »

sinewav wrote:you need Z-threading. Not having it is kind of a bummer, but not a deal breaker.
Ah I see.

Here is what I get when I compile it :

Code: Select all

checking for zthread-config... no
checking for ZTHREAD - version >= 2.3.2... no
*** The zthread-config script installed by ZThread could not be found
*** If ZThread was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the ZTHREAD_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to zthread-config
Despite the fact that zthread is installed:

# dpkg -l | grep -i zthread
ii  libzthread-2.3-2:amd64             2.3.2-7                       amd64        Object-oriented synchronization library for C++
ii  libzthread-dev                     2.3.2-7                       amd64        Object-oriented synchronization library for C++
Well debian files do not have a bin/zthread-config anywhere:
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/amd64 ... v/filelist
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/amd64 ... 2/filelist
http://packages.debian.org/search?suite ... ead-config

So I tried (and failed) to compile zthread by myself, but it doesn't seems easy. The last stable release is buggy (even though it was released in 2005).

I'll try to compile it later with Debian's patches. Or find another way to make it work.

sinewav wrote:We have talked about server homogeneity before but never enforced it because we are usually just thankful to have servers to play on. You should only be using the latest stable dedicated. Anything +sty, etc is generally frowned upon.
I would also rather use the "vanilla" flavor. We agree on that point.

But, as I stated in my first post, I can't use the atest stable release (l2.8.3.2). Unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't support global id or user level.

So I'm using the latest 0.2.8 snapshot which turns out to be 0.2.9_alpha_r1417
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

Ok, I managed to get it compiled with zthread (youpee). To compile zthread you just need to fix the autotools installers and compile it with

CXXFLAGS=-fpermissive ./configure --prefix=/blah
Also I added the ladle servers to dhl's ladle master server (generalconsumption.org:4533). Right now, only my servers and CT's LIV are listed. Does anybody still uses subculture anymore?
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Yeah. With ZThread, you have to modify one of the file's space regex on newer versions. If you have problems with it or want to try and do it quicker on the different servers, assuming you're running a Debian distro such as Debian or Ubuntu, you could try out my script:

http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php/ ... e_Easy_Way

Using different server versions don't really make a big difference for fortress, though it would kind of make sense to use all the same as Sine suggested, just not very realistic with donated servers. I just use sty+ct for all servers, including ones I donate for any tournaments. That script will install sty+ct's latest release. You can modify that though if you wanted to change it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that 0.2.8 servers support GIDs. Maybe you could give 0.4 servers a try if you're interested, but pretty sure you need sty+ct for things like CTF and whatnot that have flags, balls, etc. That's why I go with it, just so I can include them all. Also hosting different types constantly.
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

Light wrote:Yeah. With ZThread, you have to modify one of the file's space regex on newer versions.
Yup. Or use Debian's patches.

As it is gentoo specific, that part is simply removed.

Yet it's weird that such an obvious mistake can be in the configure script for all these years. As if nobody except Debian compiled it since the release. On the other hand there is not really a bug tracker or anything. Well w/e.
Light wrote: If you have problems with it or want to try and do it quicker on the different servers, assuming you're running a Debian distro such as Debian or Ubuntu, you could try out my script:

http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php/ ... e_Easy_Way
I got it working now, so I'm fine. But I'll still take a look to compare notes.
Light wrote:Also, I'm pretty sure that 0.2.8 servers support GIDs.
Maybe you're right. All I can tell is that when using 0.2.8.3, I had errors in the logs and couldn't authenticate. With the same config and 0.2.9_alpha_r1417 it worked.
Light wrote:Maybe you could give 0.4 servers a try if you're interested
Nah I'd rather use a stable release if it's possible. I would use Debian version if it wasn't 0.2.8.3.
Light wrote:but pretty sure you need sty+ct for things like CTF and whatnot that have flags, balls, etc.
As far as I remember, sty (from your_mom, if i'm not mistaken) is for moving zones (flags, balls, moving dz, etc.). As for CT I'm not sure. Maybe zombies (moving dz with aim)? Or could it me something that allow rounds rotation like in ctwf? idk.

Also you should consider adding your server to the ladle subculture :)
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Let me say i have not read much of this topic, however i wanted to post to correct this.
theo wrote:
Light wrote:but pretty sure you need sty+ct for things like CTF and whatnot that have flags, balls, etc.
As far as I remember, sty (from your_mom, if i'm not mistaken) is for moving zones (flags, balls, moving dz, etc.). As for CT I'm not sure. Maybe zombies (moving dz with aim)? Or could it me something that allow rounds rotation like in ctwf? idk.
first off sty was not from your_mom, but was from groundpig. Sty contains CTF, styball and shooting. sty+ct adds to sty with moving zones via spawning zones, a better ladderlog, delayed commands, rubber zones (using a ct DTD), King of the hill zones, and some other stuff that i cannot think of right now. oh ya and we have teleportation.

EDIT: read this
theo wrote:Compiled it with the following options:

./configure --enable-dedicated --prefix=/opt/arma/servers/ladle --disable-useradd --disable-etc --disable-initscripts --enable-automakedefaults
The problem is with 0.2.8 ot 0.2.9 authentication is not enabled by default you needed to --enable-armathencation (i think this is the right flag) either that or --enable -authentication, I think the latter is client based though. refer to ./configure --help though.
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

sinewav wrote:
theo wrote:...only syre complained
His connection is usually terrible, so no worries there.
I actually find Syre's complaints as one of the most reliable sources to determine the quality of a server. If he complains about it being crappy, the server will tend to be quite stable.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

Hey kylie.
kyle wrote:first off sty was not from your_mom, but was from groundpig.
You're right.

I've been mistaken cause back when I used to set up servers the last time (years ago), I used Your_mom's map, with a name like ctfsty.

My bad.
kyle wrote:The problem is with 0.2.8 ot 0.2.9 authentication is not enabled by default you needed to --enable-armathencation (i think this is the right flag) either that or --enable -authentication, I think the latter is client based though. refer to ./configure --help though.
Nice.

Both options are the same.

I compiled a 0.2.8 with this option, and it indeed works.

I'm worried about this though :

[0] Command ACCESS_LEVEL_SHOUT unknown.
[0] 
[0] No matches were found that contained #.
[0] Command DEFAULT_SHOUT_SPECTATOR unknown.
[0] 
I didn't have this messages with 0.2.9_alpha_r1417.

If I understand correctly, any messages, even from spectators will be public. I didn't find any configure option this time.

I suppose that wouldn't be good for a ladle server and I should switch back to 0.2.9_alpha_r1417.

On a side note, I had a problem with the installation. Languages weren't copied to the proper dir. I had to copy it myself from the source dir to the $PREFIX/share/games/armagetronad-dedicated-0.2.8.3.2/. Should I fill a bug?

Light, in your script, to check if a user exists you do :

if [[ ! -d "/home/${USER}" ]]; then
I'd advise to do something like

if (! getent passwd ${USER} &>/dev/null); then
I would allow the script to handle missing homes or non-standard homes.

Also

sed -i 's/\[:space:\]/[[:space:]]/g' configure
is shorter and more efficient than

CONFIG=$(cat configure | sed 's/\[:space:\]/[[:space:]]/g')
echo "${CONFIG}" > configure
theo
Round Winner

Re: Setting up a ladle server

Post by theo »

Ok, so I set up 0.2.9_alpha_r1417 servers (with shout capabilities) compiled with zthread. I think they look pretty much alright.

I'm adding them to the ladle wiki.