How do i host a server with multiple maps

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
SLINGSH[]T

How do i host a server with multiple maps

Post by SLINGSH[]T »

Im trying to host a server, And I want to know how to host a server with The Map changing per round. You Know, the thing that happens in most fortress servers?
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: How do i host a server with multiple maps

Post by Light »

Make a map rotation script. Do you have a server set up with scripts supported?

I should also note that I think +ap has this feature built in, unless it's just for racing setups, I don't know.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

Or search the wiki

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

SLINGSH[]T

Post by SLINGSH[]T »

Light wrote:Make a map rotation script. Do you have a server set up with scripts supported?

I should also note that I think +ap has this feature built in, unless it's just for racing setups, I don't know.
How do i do that? I'm not very good at making scripts since im new.
Light

Post by Light »

SLINGSH[]T wrote:
Light wrote:Make a map rotation script. Do you have a server set up with scripts supported?

How do i do that? I'm not very good at making scripts since im new.
You can make scripts in just about any language you're familiar with. The most popular around here seems to be PHP, which is what I'm personally good at, but you should be able to do it with C++, perl, just about anything with i/o.

There's also multiple ways to use them. But, now it's built into the server, so you can do it without use of an external script, using SPAWN_SCRIPT, RESPAWN_SCRIPT, KILL_SCRIPT, & LIST_SCRIPTS.

There should be examples around in the programming section, or the wiki. Map rotation scripts already exist, so I don't feel I should bother offering to write one.
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

you could use a newer verion of a sty+ct server and use commands

Code: Select all

MAP_ROTATION_CLEAR #clear out any pervious maps from rotation
MAP_ROTATION_MODE #0: keeps provided order
#1: shuffles (but for each round, all maps will be played before being shuffled again)
#2: if there's only 1 round provided (like in 1st example), it played all maps in provided order then it shuffles (within a match)
#if there's more than 1 round first loop, rounds are played in order than if pick a round number randomly and pick a map randomly too

MAP_ROTATION_ADD <map_file> <round number>#add a mapfile with an optional round
Light

Post by Light »

kyle wrote:you could use a newer verion of a sty+ct server and use commands
:O I didn't know it was built into the sty+ct server now.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Ya, the MAP_ROTATION feature is available globally in +ap code. Why do people keep thinking it's mainly for the racing feature? :/ Anyway here's how the commands work: http://vertrex.tk/wiki/index.php?title= ... N_Settings
Light wrote:
:O I didn't know it was built into the sty+ct server now.
LOL! I already knew they had implemented it but really I didn't bother to implement it since mine works nicely :)

Code: Select all

MAP_ROTATION_CLEAR #clear out any pervious maps from rotation
MAP_ROTATION_MODE #0: keeps provided order
#1: shuffles (but for each round, all maps will be played before being shuffled again)
#2: if there's only 1 round provided (like in 1st example), it played all maps in provided order then it shuffles (within a match)
#if there's more than 1 round first loop, rounds are played in order than if pick a round number randomly and pick a map randomly too

MAP_ROTATION_ADD <map_file> <round number>#add a mapfile with an optional round
OH! So that's how it works. Funny, I had no idea how it worked till you pointed it out :P Maybe I could try something like that out once I get more time on my hands :)
kyle

Post by kyle »

LOVER$BOY wrote:OH! So that's how it works. Funny, I had no idea how it worked till you pointed it out :P Maybe I could try something like that out once I get more time on my hands :)
ya, it is only documented in a private forum on ct's site :P

It also RINCLUDE's configureation files, based on the mapname/location It must has same path/filename with te exception of the extention wich should be cfg instead of xml (donno how to really say it any better than that) map-0.2.0.aamap.xml will load map-0.2.0.aamap.cfg
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

kyle wrote:
LOVER$BOY wrote:OH! So that's how it works. Funny, I had no idea how it worked till you pointed it out :P Maybe I could try something like that out once I get more time on my hands :)
ya, it is only documented in a private forum on ct's site :P

It also RINCLUDE's configureation files, based on the mapname/location It must has same path/filename with te exception of the extention wich should be cfg instead of xml (donno how to really say it any better than that) map-0.2.0.aamap.xml will load map-0.2.0.aamap.cfg
Cool although at first I thought that was a bit funny :)

I'm a bit busy to try anything out with the code right now but I hope to test something like that in the future (I already planned for it anyway). :)
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

So are there a lot more commands than are actually here http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php/Console_Commands?
kyle

Post by kyle »

ya those commands are a little outdated
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

ConVicT wrote:So are there a lot more commands than are actually here http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php/Console_Commands?
Oh sure... a LOT!

The +ap commands themselves have a total of these: http://vertrex.tk/wiki/index.php?title=List_of_Commands

Which reminds me, I haven't updated those commands with the latst yet. Even the sty+ct need updating :P
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Oh, cheers for that, i will probably have a lot more server ideas when i have a chance to go through these.

TRON BOOM IS'A BREWING! :D
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

ConVicT wrote:Oh, cheers for that, i will probably have a lot more server ideas when i have a chance to go through these.

TRON BOOM IS'A BREWING! :D
No problem. With the idea of round selection for _ROTATION, I'm already implementing it in +ap in my own way. I'm sure it will work just fine once done ;)