Server windows closed, so can't close server.

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
Moofie
Core Dumper

Server windows closed, so can't close server.

Post by Moofie »

I am hosting a server at my parents friends house, on his servers, so i am accessing it through PuTTy. It is running Ubuntu Server. My problem is, i testing it, i had servers up and running, and i can't close it, since i closed the windows. I don't know enough unix commands to bring it back up and close it, but if i try and open a new server it starts at port 4537, since the others are in use. So i can't access it at all. Any ideas on how to get the windows back up/close all servers kind of things?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Server windows closed, so can't close server.

Post by Z-Man »

'killall' is your friend there. As the name implies, it can kill all instances of a given program. Definitely do
killall armagetronad-dedicated
and if that does not suffice, find out which script is restarting the server (depends on how you installed the server and how you are running it) and kill that, too.
Moofie
Core Dumper

Post by Moofie »

Sweet, thanks. Another question, i can't get my settings_custom running. In windows i used sinclude settings_custom.cfg.txt to load, but it will not now. i also have a file with my settings, not named settings_custom.cfg, but i thought i renamed it. does it have to be in a specific folder to load, even with sinclude?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You need to drop the .txt in the include/sinclude line, unless you put your settings in a weird place, that should work.
Moofie
Core Dumper

Post by Moofie »

well ive tried it both ways.and i don't even know where the file in, since i'm using Ubuntu server and accessing through putty,i had to download from the web.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

How, exactly, have you installed the server and how are you running it?
Moofie
Core Dumper

Post by Moofie »

i installed it using 0install, and running it by using 0launch
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Ah, good man! Assuming you're using the default or stable feed, put settings_custom.cfg into the directory ~/.armagetronad-dedicated/config/. The ~/.armagetronad-dedicated directory should already exist (if not, you're not using the default or stable feed, and a similarly named directory like ~/.armagetronad-alpha-dedicated or ~/.armagetronad-styct-dedicated should exist; use that then), the config directory needs to be made using the 'mkdir' command.
So:

Code: Select all

cd ~/.armagetronad-dedicated
mkdir config
mv <previous location of settings_custom.cfg> config/settings_custom.cfg
0launch -c 'http://simamo.de/0install/armagetronad-dedicated.xml'
Should do the trick. All further config files of yours can go into the same directory.
Moofie
Core Dumper

Post by Moofie »

it works! i also had the styct version. thanks for the help!
Moofie
Core Dumper

Post by Moofie »

another thing on a side note, any way you would recommend transferring files (cfg files) over to it? for my settings i posted it on 4shared then used wget to download it, then renamed to correct. but i can't use ftp programs.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

IIRC, putty includes an implementation of scp (Secure CoPy) called pscp. If it's not included, it can be obtained. It uses the ssh protocol to send files, so basically whenever ssh (putty) works, scp (pscp) works too. I never used it on Windows, so the rest is up to you to find out; on Linux, I would use the command line like this:

Code: Select all

pscp <config file> <username>@<servername>:~/.armagetronad-styct-dedicated/config/
You should be able to salvage at least the target name (<username>@<servername>:~/.armagetronad-styct-dedicated/config) from that to whatever you need to be doing.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Also, Winscp is an excellent program for this. Winscp also integrates with putty. I have my WinSCP setup to automatically launch putty when I connect to a server. WinSCP then passes the username/password to putty, so if you save your password in WinSCP, you don't have to enter the username/password.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm