Windows Vista Server Troubles, Please Help

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
Limitless

Windows Vista Server Troubles, Please Help

Post by Limitless »

Hi guys I am looking to setup a server on my Windows Vista computer (Dell XPS Studio 16 not sure if this helps) but I can only get it to appear on the Master List sometimes and when I do it will not let me connect to it. However it is always available under LAN. I am not sure what I am doing wrong since i port forwarded port 4534 and 4535 (because when it does appear on the Master Server list it always shows port 4535 after my IP) and I typed TALK_TO_MASTER 1. Also I do not fully understand how to setup authentication and admin privileges on a server. I am not very good with technology but I would like to have a server that I can experiment on, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Some things that may help are:
My firewall is MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials)
Im on Windows Vista 2007
My IP is 68.56.250.118
My version of the game client and dedicated are both 0.2.8.3.1

Thank You in advance for any help given.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Windows Vista Server Troubles, Please Help

Post by Z-Man »

Is the server running all the time? I can't reach it right now, but the masters don't see a problem. They're not the quickest to notice when a server goes down, sadly. Anyway, if it wasn't up when I tested: the masters say the server and port forward are OK. That you can't see it yourself sometimes is normal. Just connect via LAN.

For authentication, you may be fine just adding

Code: Select all

GLOBAL_ID 1
TRUST_LAN 1
USER_LEVEL Limitless@forums 1
to your configuration and you should be good.
Limitless

Post by Limitless »

I had taken it down because I thought it wasnt working but Im going to put it back up right now. Also in order to setup a password do i just to ADMIN_PASS Password and then login to Limitless@forums with my regular password?
Limitless

Post by Limitless »

Oh and also where would i be able to find the config for my server?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Limitless wrote:Also in order to setup a password do i just to ADMIN_PASS Password
Well, I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but no, ADMIN_PASS is outdated and doesn't exist any more. Use the sniplet I gave you and use your forum password. Say "/login Limitless@forums" when on the server to trigger the login.
The configuration is in the config subdirectory of where you installed the server, usually C:\Program Files\Armagetron Advanced Dedicated\?

Nope, still no luck joining your server. If it was up all the time, recheck your firewall and router configuration.
Limitless

Post by Limitless »

Hmmn it's been up this whole time and my firewall and router checked out fine. I'm really just not sure what is wrong but no matter how i attempt to connect to it it keeps saying its unable to connect other than in LAN mode which doesnt seem to be putting it onto the Master List when i hit TALK_TO_MASTER 1 .
Limitless

Post by Limitless »

Alright I got some good news and some bad news:

Good News:
I was able to get on to the master list and I set up the Authentication (Thanks Z-man)

Bad News:
Everyone that I have asked to connect to my server is saying that it is not on the master list, which makes no sense because I can connect through an Internet Game on the Master List :P
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

See this post: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 85#p253085
Whether you can connect or others can connect are separate questions, unfortunately that means that you being able to connect is no progress at all :(
If your server was up all the time, your router or firewall setup still is not right. Sorry, can't help much there.
Limitless

Post by Limitless »

Hmmn alright do you know anything I could do to fix these firewall "problems"?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Nope, sorry. There are a million routers and I'm not familiar with the Windows stuff.
Limitless

Post by Limitless »

Alright well thank you very much for your help!
If i get it working I'll be sure to make a post here with my solution just in case someone else has a similar problem.