Flood Protection bans-Multiple querty messages

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
Paladin
Average Program

Flood Protection bans-Multiple querty messages

Post by Paladin »

I received the message "Flood protection bans (insert I.P) for sending multiple querty messages with one packet." while administrating in a server. I ran a wiki search, but came across nothing that covered it. Uploaded is the image minus the I.Ps that came with it. I have no idea what it is and was hoping for some clarification.
Attachments
flood protection.jpg
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Flood Protection bans-Multiple querty messages

Post by Z-Man »

That happens when an overly eager player is spamming 'P' on your server in the browser. No need to worry. The flood protection is there because the server's answer to a ping is much larger than the client's request, making ping spam a potential attack avenue for DOS attacks.
Edit: wait, what commands were you issuing? FULLSCREEN_MESSAGE had the bug of falsely triggering those spam protections a while back, it was fixed in 0.2.8.3.
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

I used the fullscreen_message once just before that appeared. The server appears to be running .2.8.3 and I am running the .2.8.3_beta3 I believe. The I.Ps that appeared were two different values, one in the 149.*.*.* and the other in the 69.*.*.* if that helps any.

Thanks for the explanation on that aspect of the flood protection Z-Man. Much appreciated.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Could you double check the server version? The flood protection after a fullscreen message is a false positive and should be fixed in 0.2.8.3. If it isn't, back to the drawing board for me.
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

According to IRC and the master server list it is running .2.8.3 Unix dedicated. I sent a PM off to the owner though to see if there was anything more exact that I could get for you. I will also, when the server empties for a bit, see if I can replicate it.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Oh, right, checking again, the fix for that was deemed too dangerous to include in 0.2.8.3.x.
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

Fair enough. Thanks Z-Man.