CTF / Sty Help

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
SolaR
Average Program

CTF / Sty Help

Post by SolaR »

Hello,
I currently went to; http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php?title=Sty
And configured everything that needs to be right, but I landed in a dark hole, hoping to get out of. :lol:

The instructions for; Building and installing arn't very clear for me. I went to FreeBSD and want to download it? I guess the newest one and it has gaven me several files to open up with an ftp:// folder.

Could someone reply on how to build and install in a much newb friendly advice?

Like on how to batch those patched files and run the dedicated server? Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance, ARMAGETRON ADVANCE.
Solar
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Where did ftp come from? I don't even see ftp in those directions.
SolaR
Average Program

Post by SolaR »

When I wanted to download FreeBSD it directed me into FTP files that I could drag onto my computer then save to a floppy? disk?

Anyways, I am confused when the instructions mention FreeBSD.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

FreeBSD is an operating system, the same way Linux, Windows, and OS X are. You wouldn't need anything to do with FreeBSD unless you are running FreeBSD...
SolaR
Average Program

Post by SolaR »

I can't remember if I am running FreeBSD or not. :o :lol:
But I am using Windows XP. This is like a 6 year old computer as well.
zoidberg
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by zoidberg »

hehe, so windows XP is your operating system.
FreeBSD is a unix based system, to install it you'd have to basically reformat your entire hard drive and, well, that would be the "hard" way of doing what you want to do.
FreeBSD and many other unix style OS's are available for download, and some of the installation applications will ftp the files to your computer, but it takes FOREVER if you don't have a solid fast internet connection - even then it takes a few hours.

anyway, more to the point, so you're trying to setup the styball patch or you need help with setting up the dedicated server? The server is easy enough, it's usually available as an executable so no compiling involved.

The styball patch is a different story. I'm not sure if you can get a the server program all setup with the patch, maybe you can because you're running XP and the software world seems to prefer windows.
I have a mac, so what I would do is: get the dedicated server source code from sourceforge or whatever; get the styball patch; apply it according to the instructions that should be include in the patch files; then install Xcode and compile the source yourself. I know at least one Mac user who has done this successfully. I haven't had time to try it myself.

If you don't understand anything I've said, then you have some learning to do :). Unless someone is willing to go into more detail, but I don't think there's a lot to elaborate on...

Hope that helps..
-Z
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

zoidberg wrote:the software world seems to prefer windows.
Not the Open Source Software World you're currently visiting. Shoo! Go away! :)

But seriously, we don't supply compiled sty binaries for any operating system. You'll need to grab the source (via bzr is the easiest way), get yourself a development system (there's a whole wiki page on that) and compile it.
ivantis
Round Winner

Post by ivantis »

Solar: i see, maybe you are confused. in the tutorial for building a sty server on the wiki, c10ud i think wrote it, and he runs FreeBSD, so he put in parts about it.
SolaR
Average Program

Post by SolaR »

See, I never have ran an unix based system and had no idea what FreeBSD meant.

So All I need to do is to batch it once I am doing with the files?
Okay Dokie. Ill keep you updated. Right now, I am heading to bed, working this very fine next day :P
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Z-Man wrote:
zoidberg wrote:the software world seems to prefer windows.
Not the Open Source Software World you're currently visiting. Shoo! Go away! :)
Amen, brother, amen.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden