Suggestion: real-time IP info for admins

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
zoidberg
On Lightcycle Grid

Suggestion: real-time IP info for admins

Post by zoidberg »

the subject says it all :)
Just a tiny suggestion for future server versions and stuff. It would be nice for an admin to be able to see player IP addy's in-game so we can take care of consistent trouble-makers who keep changing names.

This could be problematic if someone gets that admin pass or if there's a disgruntled admin. But it could save the time of digging through logs...

-Zoid
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

You can already.

What version's your dedicated?
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

If you're server is running a recent version, you can see each player's IP in the /players menu if you're authenticated and have the correct access level.
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

Is there any reason IPs don't get sent to logged in players on a non-armathentication server?
There's no place like ::1
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

I guess I'll be more specific:

If the server is running 0.2.8.2.1 (which a lot are) then you won't see the IPs even if you're logged in.
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

You'll see the IP if you kick/ban somone, though. Not sure if that helps, just thought I'd mention it.
There's no place like ::1
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

DDMJ wrote:I guess I'll be more specific:

If the server is running 0.2.8.2.1 (which a lot are) then you won't see the IPs even if you're logged in.
You can with a script, /me looks at epsy for confirmation though
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

yeah we did that before /players had IPs displayed, you basically have to watch for connect/disconnect messages and get (and store) IPs from them
zoidberg
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by zoidberg »

nice.
You guys thought of everything :)
We must be running the old version w/o IP's in player list - I'm just a mod/admin helping out so I'm not privy to logs and such, but I'm one in a team of helpers so it would be nice for us to be able to see it realtime so we can identify those troublemakers who make our IP watch-lists.

Our glorious leader actually did make a script that pulls IP's out of the logs, but it's not real-time and we gotta ftp/telnet to the server to get it, which is fine for now until we get around to updating all the servers, it at least provides us mod's the ability to see IP's of players before we kick if need be, or to track our troublemakers.

thanks for the info guys-n-gals.