How to ban a dynamic ip?

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
QUARG
Round Winner

How to ban a dynamic ip?

Post by QUARG »

I have an unpleasant player that has a ip that seems to change after i ban him. I would like to perma ban him from ID servers.
Any suggestions?
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

At most you can figure out the address range he's in and block everything in that range.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
QUARG
Round Winner

Post by QUARG »

Yes but wont this also penalize all players in that range?
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Yes, but what else could you do?
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
m¡st
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by m¡st »

you could make him feel very unwelcome at your server everytime you see him
"Drat!"
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Yeah, you have to do what mist suggests. The best way to do that, near as I can tell, is if you just start banning players that don't vote to kick him whenever he appears. :) At least, fortress showed us that if you kick people right away a lot, they quit coming back...

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

Lucifer wrote:At least, fortress showed us that if you kick people right away a lot, they quit coming back...
That'll explain why there's so few new players trickling into the fortress game.
"Kick! TKer! Noob Non Grinder!" <-- an instant chat among many, reserved for any new players on the grid.
DurkaDurkaLand ftw!
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

but too few have this one:

*** NEW PEOPLE ***
At the start of each round we all join the MIDDLE PLAYER to form ONE line. This is called "GRINDING".

:/
QUARG
Round Winner

Post by QUARG »

What is the logic used to compile wrtlprfnt's global player stats? Is it based on ip?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Luke's global player stats are based on player names, which of course is pretty useless for banning. Unless you enforce authentication and whitelist only armathorities you trust (there's a special BAN_USER command for that). Which will probably affect more innocent people than an IP range ban.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

my global player stats only work on player names. It just uses a (quite braindead) method to guess if two nicks are similar enough to be the same.
There's no place like ::1
zoidberg
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by zoidberg »

maybe a little much, bit wild west servers had some pretty nasty players too, admin impersonators and such, causing a big ruckus. Anyway, whoever it was also kept rotating IP and I always thought it might be cool to have some sort of ID tag embedded in the game itself.. Sure, the user just has to reinstall, but now they have to rotate their IP _AND_ reinstall...
That might make it not worth whatever pleasure these people get out of being jerks... Then again, it might not :)
Some people are quite determined...
-Z
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

Is it possible to turn off dynamic I.P.s then? I know of one person, an Australian player, that has their I.P change just a little each time they come online. The whole re-installing thing would most likely drive them away from tron then.

Does the person use the same name everytime? Is it possible to set up the server so that it automatically bans a person with said name every time they enter the server?

Best of luck with making him leave.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

zoidberg wrote:Some people are quite determined...
Yes, and, this being an open source game, they'll also quickly find a way to generate a new ID without a reinstall. It would just be something that slows them down, with no other additional use.

Paladin: the ID would just be something to ban people by; you would not be required to get a new ID every time your IP changes.
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

Oh I see. Thanks for the clarification Z-man.