Manually Setting Your Screen Resolution

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
n54
MVP

Manually Setting Your Screen Resolution

Post by n54 »

wanted to make a "tips & tricks" topic about solutions to problems that doesn't have to do with playing. configuration issues basically i guess.

the problem:
recently i set the resolution to 1600x1200 in the game and my monitor blacked out with a "Out of range" message, dont know how it is for others but on my system that screen doesn't go away until i terminate the program, and if i start armagetron again the setting is still there, so...

the solution:
open the user.cfg file and find these lines:
ARMAGETRON_LAST_WINDOWSIZE 9
ARMAGETRON_WINDOWSIZE 9
ARMAGETRON_LAST_SCREENMODE 9
ARMAGETRON_SCREENMODE 9

here you can change the screensize "manaually", the following are the values and corresponding screen sizes:
9 = 1600x1200
8 = 1280x1024
7 = 1280x854
6 = 1024x768
5 = 800x600
4 = 640x480
3 = 512x384
2 = 400x300
1 = 320x240
0 = 320x200

just edit and save the file and you're back to normal :mrgreen:
RUDEBOY!
Match Winner

Post by RUDEBOY! »

if youre really having problems with predicting where the bikes are and your computer is semi fast then you can turn prediction on and it will generate the image of the bike at the end of the lagometer, it makes cutoffs and escapes a bit easier but it does cause some slowdown and choppyness, just put predict_objects 1 into the console change 1 to 0 to turn it off
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

incidentally, i played 320x200 for about a week recently and it was quite playable. in some ways even advantageous, altho i'm not sure i could articulate how at this moment...

a setting i like is to draw the arena wall in the lowest resolution so that it becomes pixellated. that way it seems easier to tell how close you are to it, because the sharp pixels stand out better than the normal shaded but blurry look.

another thing is drawing the floor as 'just grid' which draws only grid in your immediate vicinity. it is somewhat helpful for telling objects that are near vs. objects that are far. objects that are far will have no grid drawn under them.

these things also may help FPS a bit and the config files i posted in the 'angry nest of wasps' thread contain all the FPS tweaks that i could turn on at once while still having a very playable game.
RUDEBOY!
Match Winner

Post by RUDEBOY! »

i usually play just grid, it doesnt increase fps or anything but it does cut down on glare