Growing our presence on twitch.tv

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Growing our presence on twitch.tv

Post by Titanoboa »

Here are some thoughts about our twitch presence and how we can grow it. Feel free to chip in with ideas. In the end it is up to sylla.

1. Syllabear is doing a fantastic job commentating events. While the main goal maybe isn't to attract outside viewers, the way to work towards that very much overlaps with the way to improve our own viewing experience.

2. Let's make sylla a twitch Affiliate. It would be incredibly easy for us to get him to Affiliate status if we made a concerted effort. Once a stream meets the criteria it is automatically invited to the Affiliate Program and you don't lose your status by going back below the requirements - only by breaking ToS.

The criteria:
  • At least 500 total minutes (8.3 hours) broadcast in the last 30 days
  • At least 7 unique broadcast days in the last 30 days
  • An average of 3 concurrent viewers or more over the last 30 days
  • At least 50 Followers
3. Let's make his streams more of a hangout spot. We currently get 5-15 viewers during events (most of you watch parts of the stream afterwards, understandably, since you're all playing in the event). There's little chat activity at the moment, but that can easily change very quickly. Drop in and chat a bit between matches, and join the stream when you've been knocked out. If you don't play in the tourneys, consider dropping by! Follow syllabear on twitch to get notified when he goes live.

4. Subscription earnings can go to the community. While amazon snatches part of the money (and I don't know about tax), twitch subs could be a way to raise some money towards better servers etc. If we hit 15 subs we'll also unlock a second custom emote slot (affiliates get 1 channel emote at 0 subs). I'm just presuming Sylla has no interest in keeping the $$ for himself ;)

5. The video interface can be further improved. a) The corner cam has some dead space at the moment, so it could be zoomed-in ingame or cropped in OBS so it takes up a little less central space, and the floor & rim wall could be made darker. Chat and FPS can be disabled.
b) A perma-scoreboard with transparent background could be added - simply set up a third client with everything black and an ingame cam that never shows any cycles, then Chroma Key out the black the same way people with greenscreens get rid of their green.
c) maybe some simple stream overlay graphics, such as a discrete bar across the top showing recent followers, donations and subs with an arma theme? The less in-your-face the better imo, but it certainly would improve your average viewer's first impression of the stream.

I'm bringing it up here rather than directly to sylla because I can't help with the transparency thing or stream overlay any further, maybe you guys can?

6. The more viewers we get during events, the more likely it is for random people to find us. The more activity we get in chat, the more likely it is for them to stick around. Even if we only stream a couple times a month, once we reach a certain viewer count we will get noticed to some degree.
Perhaps a more official-sounding channel name would be beneficial, but I don't know how important that is.

All in all, I think the main focus should remain our own viewing experience, but a welcome by-product would be to potentially bring in other viewers. Also, it's obviously sylla's own stream and everything's up to him in the end, I'm bringing this up here simply because I'd like to see what you guys think about all this.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Growing our presence on twitch.tv

Post by sinewav »

Sounds good, I'll do what I can to help. My connection is crap right now so I probably won't be playing much, though I do like to spec pickups and hang in vc, so that activity could easily be something I do on Twitch.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

Everyone has been very supportive and I appreciate all the kind words! I am glad people enjoy the streams/VODs.

I am always open to suggestions and very grateful for any contributions (e.g. sinewavs awesome art for the youtube channel or Titanoboa's movie pack and voluntary moderation of the twitch channel). Please let me know anything you want me to try and I will either look into it or include it! Today was a proof of concept for screen-in-screen. One of the clients crashed twice, I need to find out why. Also I am getting a second monitor this week which will help with switching cameras/players/screens etc. I have a few ideas for improvements like using chromakey for the score etc. and will look into it when I get time.

The money can of course go to server hosting or anything similar
Attachments
Untitled.png
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

I'm thinking that if people are up for it, you could get on to stream a pickup game or some casual sumo while enough people are on, and as long as 4+ people open the stream you'll hit the 7 unique days with a 3+ viewer average in no time.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Titanoboa wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:42 pmIf you don't play in the tourneys, consider dropping by! Follow syllabear on twitch to get notified when he goes live.
That's an easy thing to do for everyone! Maybe I'll mess up my recordings less if I follow along on the stream :)