Hi.

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
PatoARG

Hi.

Post by PatoARG »

Hello guys, i never heard about this game, but, i have an old cd, aprox 2006 - 2007 or before, and i just wanted to know how old this version is, the game says that the version is 0.2.8.2.1, i am going to wait, i am really interested in how old is this cd.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Hi.

Post by syllabear »

Hello, welcome back!

I don't think armagetron ever came on a CD, so I guess you saved it there yourself?

You can check which version of armagetron it is by clicking "About" in the main menu after loading up the game
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

PatoARG wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:00 am Hello guys, i never heard about this game, but, i have an old cd, aprox 2006 - 2007 or before, and i just wanted to know how old this version is, the game says that the version is 0.2.8.2.1, i am going to wait, i am really interested in how old is this cd.
According to news archive, 0.2.8.2.1 was released on the 5th of August 2006

syllabear wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:38 pm You can check which version of armagetron it is by clicking "About" in the main menu after loading up the game
Heh, 0.2.8.2.1 is a bit old for that
Screenshot from 2020-10-09 15-18-18.png
And, I don't recommend it, but it will still work in most modern servers. The frame-rate seems to struggle more and it's a bit glitchy sometimes. Not to mention security.
Screenshot from 2020-10-09 15-22-52.png
unrelated, I think it picked up my name from a time when I was trying an even older client. Meh
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

syllabear wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:38 pm I don't think armagetron ever came on a CD, so I guess you saved it there yourself?
I know it has been on a German magazine's cover CD (a share/freeware collection) a couple of times. I know because somehow, their policies required me to sign a permission for them. Oh, and a Japanese magazine, too. They even sent me a copy! And I still have it! That was 2003, apparently.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Z-Man wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:51 pmThey even sent me a copy! And I still have it!
Z-Man, why have you not created the definitive "History of Armagetron" page on the wiki? This is good stuff!
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Many German players, including myself, found the game through those magazines. :-) (I didn't buy one myself but we had to analyze it in class. I actually remember that the issue came with The Patrician 3 game and some sci-fi-airplane shooter.)
RoterBaron1337
Core Dumper

Post by RoterBaron1337 »

I got into the game from those magazines :D. started playing local with bots, and later looked through the browser (could barely read english at that time) and managed to even communicate how to double bind and that got me so excited that i stayed a tiny bit longer
Kappa
Pre
Average Program

Post by Pre »

RoterBaron1337 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:44 am I got into the game from those magazines :D. started playing local with bots, and later looked through the browser (could barely read english at that time) and managed to even communicate how to double bind and that got me so excited that i stayed a tiny bit longer
similar story for me. a friend of mine got the game from those magazines, and when we had enough of wc3 at a lan-party he introduced us to this game. we couldn't really get it to work but it stayed on my computer for a while, until i decided to try it out of boredom, discovered the online mode and got hooked instantly :)