Getting old players back

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
delinquent
Match Winner

Getting old players back

Post by delinquent »

I've been shooting off a few messages to players I can find here and there, letting them know that we're getting back into Tron and pointing them to the new discord. I've shouted a few so far, with not a lot of effect, but I thought it might be the right time to look at sending out some emails from the forum. I vaguely remember that being possible through phpBB. It's a bit of a big ask, though, to send out a mass mailer to every single registered user, so I thought it might be prudent to drop usernames here instead, so that if a forum moderator chooses to do so they'll have a list of users to collate. In the interest of avoiding becoming a nuisance, it might also be a good idea to jot down who has already been contacted, too, so I'll start here:

Already contacted
Epsy (/u03b5)
Syre
Mya (MrsKsr)
16 (*16)
Nagi

Suggest contacting
Druuna
Venijn
Plee
Looser
Modis
KB93
sH
MusicMeg21
Apa
Ourobouros

I'll keep updating this as I remember people.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Getting old players back

Post by syllabear »

this idea was actually floated a few weeks ago in the discord (not sure which channel), but the long and short is that privacy laws prevent people's forum email addresses from being used for this sort of thing
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I know how to reach Venijn and that he's still reading the forums every now and then, but he probably doesn't have a lot of time right now, same for most of the others, I'm guessing. I've also seen Ouro a few months ago - given that I play super-rarely myself, that was a nice surprise. I appreciate the effort you put into this though. Good luck reviving phoenix, hehe. Theoretically I *could* contact some pRu/Ww/ID members but I think they're all quite busy. Some of them just married or have kids or founded their own company and now have to deal with the pandemic. I think it's better if they come back on their own when we are all through this shit.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

syllabear wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:10 pm this idea was actually floated a few weeks ago in the discord (not sure which channel), but the long and short is that privacy laws prevent people's forum email addresses from being used for this sort of thing
I'm not sure that's entirely correct. This is technically a service update, hence we are permitted to contact known community participants via given contact information.

However, there's an easy way around this: A forum administrator sends the users a PM here, on the forum. Since the PM comes from an administrator, an automatic email notification is usually sent which is already entirely opt-out within forum settings, separately from other forum users. That, specifically, is permissible under GDPR, Data Protection, and most other privacy laws.
PatoARG

Post by PatoARG »

Hi, i just wanted to ask, how old is the version 0.2.8.2.1, i tryed to do a post but seems that doesnt uploaded, i found that version in a old cd, never heard about the game but i am interested
Nagi
Core Dumper

Post by Nagi »

guys, I'm sorry to inform you, but Venijn, former leader of Phoenix, and one I could truly call a close friend of mine beyond the gird has passed away early this year.

please respect his memory. will never forget you brother.
Peter
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I'm heartbroken.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Nagi wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:00 pmVenijn, former leader of Phoenix, and one I could truly call a close friend of mine beyond the gird has passed away early this year.
So sad! Phoenix was such a great team with so many nice players. My condolences. :cry:
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

****, really? I miss that guy, he was as decent as they come. How is his family holding up?
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

This is really sad news, he was one of the good ones :(
Playing since December 2006
Elysium
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Elysium »

I'm so sorry to hear that ven has passed. I hope his friends and family are well and he remains in their thoughts. Highly disappointed. He was a great dude and part of the reason why I enjoyed playing so much.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Darn.