Quality Assurance Team

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

nemostultae wrote:The 10.2.8 one is untested, so it should not be added to SF until someone ensures it works.
I've been meaning to suggest this since this topic was created, but I kept forgetting, but now I've been reminded. Methinks you guys should actively try to find someone who uses Mac OS 10.2.8 ("Jaguar") to be on this QA team. As far as I know, the 10.2.8 build of AA amounts to a bit of a guess, since there's no one on the development team who actually runs that version. I'll leave it to nemo to clarify and specify if need be.

Point is, ever since it was realised that a separate build has to be made for this version of the Mac OS, it seems I've kind of defaulted to being the guy who verifies that it works (at least as far as what's reported on the forums). Needless to say, I'm not exactly the best person for this job—far from it—since I'm not a geek. It would be good if you found someone more qualified who could actually verify that the 10.2.8 build works just the same as other builds, don't you think?
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

Phytotron: From my point of view, you qualify ;)

1) You found this topic
2) You posted
3) You're actively using Armagetron Ad under 10.2.8
4) You know where to complain about issues

(Having critical position about newer features of the program (e.g. maps and other new stuff) is a plus because it adds another point of view to the QA)

Probably all map and feature happy people will upgrade their Mac OS X 10.2.8 right away. Do we have/need someone to test Mac OS X 10.3 ?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

bump? Did the QA team form? Who's on it? I'm counting so far:

Gnorty
Belenus (by virtue of his posting here and then jumping on the 0.3.0_alpha :) )
Phytotron

Self_Destructo seems to have left us indefinitely, so I guess he can't be on the QA team anymore.

Now's a good time for anybody reporting bugs in the 0.3.0_alpha thread to consider signing up. :) I think everyone that downloaded it immediately, found bugs/issues/stuff and reported it qualifies. :)

I'm asking because I deifnitely want a second alpha for 0.3.0 and I'd like to have the QA team look at it in a bit more formal fashion and tell me I can release 0.3.0 off it, I don't really want to release 0.3.0 without them saying I can. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

Lucifer wrote:Belenus (by virtue of his posting here and then jumping on the 0.3.0_alpha :) )
I always try out the newest stuff out of curiosity and personal interest and have been beta tester for various MMORPGs before although I am a way to nice player sometimes and just don't try to combine a sword and an apple in a forge to get my a dagger if you know what I mean.. =)

If you consider my in, I would certainly advice that the 0.3 as it is now isn't as good as 0.2.8.2 except for ONE single thing and thats the HUD map.

For more see the 0.3 thread.
- bel
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

um...
remember i am a front-end mac user...
i need to be told where the newest build is
and then i shall happily playtest

who is meant to be in charge of the SQAT?
they could then pass this info on to me personally...

or have i got it all wrong?
hold the line
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

How did I get drafted? I've already given reason why I don't think I should be part of this: I just don't know enough to qualify. (And incidentally, 2020, if I don't, you certainly don't, though I'm sure your intentions are appreciated.) Plus, ugh, the responsibility.

Don't you think that you should have someone who can run both Mac OS 10.2.8 as well as 10.3+, so the two game versions can be compared, someone who actually knows something about code? It's possible that I've already found a way in which they may differ (still unresolved).

Eh.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Being able to code would help (you could be able to report the actual problem, and not just its symptoms), but why would you need to code to see if there are (unacceptable) problems?

Edit: might be less developer-friendly, of course, but what if you find a problem nobody else finds? You don't have to be in the QA for that though. Maybe I'm just arguing with myself, about what-ifs.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Right. Your stick and skip problem is one example of a probably system specific problem, and Your_Mom's crash may have been another problem of this kind (although I think it was resolved to be a font rendering error). The willingness to report such problems, work together with developers to get down to the cause of them, try different things, maybe different test builds, the ability to tell when the problem is gone, and good judgement about which problems are critical enough to hold back a release are the things expected from SQUAT members. I don't see you lacking in one bit here.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

bump.

Any interested Mac users can now get super-up-to-date builds on aabeta. Just select the 0.3 branch. These builds are automagically uploaded, being run by the buildbot (see also: [aaforums:we have a buildbot]).
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

I think I'd use the latest build often if that "Map Load Failure" in some Sumo maps was fixed. :)
Canada
Average Program

Re: Quality Assurance Team

Post by Canada »

[quote="z-man"] a thirty seconds recording would be perfect.
quote]

fraps works perfect for that, because the demo gives you 30 seconds. the demo is free, i'll give you a download link.
the only problem, is it seems to lower fps a drastic amount, though probably it wouldnt give a good enough fps to play well with, its good enough to reproduce a bug.

download here: http://www.fraps.com/download.php
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I probably (old thread, weak memory) meant DEBUG recording, not screen recording, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Created a team for this over on launchpad.

https://launchpad.net/~armagetronad-squat

Zombie score:
z-man: 1
Lucifer: 2

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
K-Yo
Round Winner

Post by K-Yo »

I can for sure report bugs and ideas I hear in Armagetron. If you need more help with your SQUAT, I can be there (Vista bugs ftw!) but I don't code much (no basis in C/C++ but I know a bit of CamL and how programming works).
Maybe I can be useful informing squat ppl about some bugs/errors/desires...
K-Yo