New download record

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

New download record

Post by Z-Man »

In March, SF counted 39,658 of total downloads. That's more than AA's previous best of December 2005 (29,541), and even more than Classic Armagetron's Miracle Month July 2003 when it was mentioned on Penny Arcade, which gave 39,003 downloads.

Having three different "currently best" versions available during March certainly helped :) But anyway, grats team!

Two other stats trivia things: Classic Armagetron's downloads are now finally down to zero. I don't know whether they're really zero or just given as zero because I hid the packages from SF (they're still available over the old webpage), though.

And our most popular platform for the 0.2.8.1 release is the Mac. 3,088 downloads vs. 2,739 Windows downloads vs. 965 Linux downloads (Source not counted).
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Heres the breakdown for the entire month:

March 2006

FreeBSD (0.2.7.1) -> 517
Linux -> 4,346
OS X -> 16,042
Source -> 1,864
Windows -> 16,306 -> Top download
Winlibs -> 583
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

we were mentioned on penny arcade :o , cool. do you think the march increase is due to new features or the news article on the front page of
sourcforge? any other possible explanations?

-off topic howd you manage to post during the april fools joke? even tho i managed too as well
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Your_mom wrote:we were mentioned on penny arcade :o , cool. do you think the march increase is due to new features or the news article on the front page of
sourcforge? any other possible explanations?
I updated the Apple listing. That's were most the Mac downloads are referred from, probably.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Your_mom wrote:we were mentioned on penny arcade :o , cool.
Back in 2003, yes :)
Your_mom wrote:do you think the march increase is due to new features or the news article on the front page of sourcforge?
The mac explosion played a large part (we probably were listed on a popular mac software site, only Tank and the server referrer data logs can shed some light on this), and the loyal fanbase getting 0.2.8.0-rc4, 0.2.8.0 and 0.2.8.1.
Your_mom wrote:-off topic howd you manage to post during the april fools joke?
Not everything is fooled, I had a deep link to the general Armagetron forum as a bookmark.
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

40k downloads...?
where are the players???????

?

?

and
um...
?
hold the line
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

2020 wrote:where are the players???????
As with all free games, I guess 50% of the people who download it forget to give it a try, and of the rest, 90% put it away again after some minutes. We should try to work on the noob appeal with this single player stuff to give them some basic, entertaining training before they're pushed into the harsh online world.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

And, ya know, some people simply might not like it. (I know, crazy talk. :wink: ) Or can't believe there aren't weapons, ramps, and flying cycles (except in nemo's server) (and I hope never will be) (back to back parenthetical comments; interesting) (wait, that's four now) (uh oh, going overboard).

Hey, single player? http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... 3649#43649 :D
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

Perhaps we should work out a simple Survey / Feedback page ?

Like :

How did you find out about Armagetron?
What's Armagetron's biggest problem to you?
How could it be improved?

The questions really would have to be fine tuned to something we can analyse in less than 10min. Some long term players will be heared on the forums, so we have some kind of feedback there. We don't get feedback from the kids/casual players. Anonymous of course, but we would get some kind of feedback... (single IP should permanently banned after one vote ;))

Perhaps we should advertise Armagetron more as a competition game without violence ? (for kids) But this also results in the problem that the chat message might be offending (not suited for kids).
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

congrats guys...