Mobile Server Browser

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Mobile Server Browser

Post by Light »

I have begun learning how to create Android applications, and decided that a good, small test project could be to create a server browser. I know it has been done before, but it appears that Guru3's browser no longer updates. You can view active servers, hide and show empty servers, and view detail such as who is in the server, the IP, port, etc. It uses my browser feed, so it is updated every minute. There is a button to pull a new list from inside the app as well.

If you guys would like it check it out, it's available in the play store. I'll link it below.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... verbrowser
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Mobile Server Browser

Post by sinewav »

Very cool, man. Congrats on Android development. I spent about two months trying to make an app and gave up because Android is too confusing. I even tried reading the 700+ page Android Studio 2.3 Development Essentials, but only a little over one year after publication Android Studio had changed so much I couldn't follow it. I think I'll go the Cordova route next since that platform has matured quite a bit.
Light

Post by Light »

Luckily I'm comfortable enough with Java that things fell into place pretty well. I will admit that I tried to figure it out before and didn't do so well, but I will probably need to create an app for my job so I pretty much have no choice but to learn it. Now I just get to make little useless projects to get more comfortable with it.
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

You mean you did not try the Kotlin approach (I'm looking into that)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

kyle wrote:You mean you did not try the Kotlin approach (I'm looking into that)
HUH. Interesting. Thanks for pointing me to that. Although, I'm not sure learning a language that's an abstraction of another language is really helpful unless you know the first language?

My biggest problems learning Android were the following:
  • I've only written two small Java apps, years ago, and every time I need to work in Java it's like learning all over again.
  • I'm not a strong user of OOP. I tend to pick projects where basically the whole thing is one big class.
  • Weak experience with MVC.
  • Android seems to have it's own lexicon and I had a hard time getting used to it.
I will say though that the several weeks I played around with Android development helped me a lot as a programmer and now think about my project structures and resource handling in a different way.
Light

Post by Light »

kyle wrote:You mean you did not try the Kotlin approach (I'm looking into that)
I haven't even looked into it. I purposely avoided it while I learn some basics of Android to avoid too many new things coming at me at once. I will probably check it out as I get a little more comfortable with everything, but it's hard to imagine I would take something completely new over Java.
Light

Post by Light »

The version of this linked in the original post is no longer going to be updated. I've recreated this from scratch and made it a lot cleaner code wise as I've learned a lot recently while creating applications for work. It also got a slightly updated UI, new color theme, and the ability to search for players and servers.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... verbrowser
Light

Post by Light »

Updated today to give it colored text for server names and URIs. :D