Should We Rebuild the Wiki?

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Should We Rebuild the Wiki?

Post by Light »

With all of the problems the wiki is having, I have set up a quick alternative using MediaWiki. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to start rebuilding? You can literally copy and paste the pages over, and we would need to rebuild the templates as well. I have tested with one of my pages to see how it comes out.

http://wiki.lightron.org/index.php?titl ... e_Easy_Way

If it's not obvious from the above link, I have set it up at the following URL:

http://wiki.lightron.org

I hope this is not overstepping, but if we could have tournaments and everything going again, it would be nice. This is at least one less reason to avoid it. Let me know your thoughts?
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Should We Rebuild the Wiki?

Post by compguygene »

This is me begging for you to make this happen. With the very little spare time that I have, I have tried to do this on a much smaller scale, because it is what we need. I am now pursuing the IT certs that I need to get a job in IT. Back in the day, I was a CNE in versions 3 and 4 of Novell Netware. So, I have very little free time to do what I want to with Armagetron. So, just to re-iterate, this is me begging you to do this. 3 other people and me would like to run several tournaments to bring back traffic to the game. So, I can guarantee that if you do this, it will immediately be used.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Light

Post by Light »

compguygene wrote:This is me begging for you to make this happen. With the very little spare time that I have, I have tried to do this on a much smaller scale, because it is what we need. I am now pursuing the IT certs that I need to get a job in IT. Back in the day, I was a CNE in versions 3 and 4 of Novell Netware. So, I have very little free time to do what I want to with Armagetron. So, just to re-iterate, this is me begging you to do this. 3 other people and me would like to run several tournaments to bring back traffic to the game. So, I can guarantee that if you do this, it will immediately be used.
Well, you are definitely free to sign up and use it. We can easily copy any templates or pages we need to continue with anything you had started. Even if we don't use it as a replacement, I will probably keep it available.

I guess my tough part of the question is, are we okay with a replacement for the Arma wiki that is going to cause it to become outdated? If it becomes used in place of the old, then going back will be a little rough if they decide to update it. On the other hand, if they're not going to fix it, then we may as well go for it.
Light

Post by Light »

As a note, anyone who would like to use the wiki and make changes can do so by making an account at the following URL. I will keep this wiki up as long as it's useful to people.

http://wiki.lightron.org/index.php?titl ... =Main+Page
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I'd be 100% OK with you just taking over the Wiki. I could give you a database dump and the media files no problem. That is, if anyone objects to their username/password/email getting transferred, I could scrub the user database and we'd be left with the content. At least, I assume that's how it would work... we've done a transfer before, from Tank to me, and nobody complained then.
Light

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:I'd be 100% OK with you just taking over the Wiki. I could give you a database dump and the media files no problem. That is, if anyone objects to their username/password/email getting transferred, I could scrub the user database and we'd be left with the content. At least, I assume that's how it would work... we've done a transfer before, from Tank to me, and nobody complained then.
That would be awesome. I made a script that pretty much stole all of the pages and templates, but I'm sure many were missed and it doesn't keep everyone's users. If you just did a mysqldump of the whole database, I could definitely work with that.

Assuming you're alright to go ahead with this, we'll just need a way to transfer it all.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Z-Man wrote:That is, if anyone objects to their username/password/email getting transferred, I could scrub the user database and we'd be left with the content.
No objections here, I use unique passwords for everything.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

For what it's worth, I think Light taking over the wiki would be a good thing, including him having access to my username and password. I doubt any of the sensible people here would mind him taking it over.
Playing since December 2006
Light

Post by Light »

Not that anyone was complaining, but your passwords on the arma wiki are hashed with sha512. This means that I would have to (very, very slowly .. potentially many years) brute force your password. It cannot simply be read.

The benefit is that we will retain all usernames, nobody can "steal" each others names, your logins will continue to work, and the history of everyone's edits will remain. Then, of course, is any personal settings you may have applied to your account, such as the way dates and times are displayed.
Light

Post by Light »

I would like to update you guys, and potentially ask Z-Man (or possibly Tank) for one more thing. The wiki is set up and working, and you can get to it at the following URL.

http://wiki.lightron.org

I have also set up my haproxy to allow "wiki.armagetronad.org" as well. If either Z-Man or Tank would like to set a CNAME record for that subdomain, you can point it to "lightron.org" and nobody should even realize something has changed.

I did add my favicon because you didn't use one, but other than that, everything is exactly as you have sent it. I will likely make more changes in the near future, but I just wanted to get this first step done.

Also, sorry if this took a bit. I had family in for Thanksgiving and I wasn't about to be off working on this stuff.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Bah, no worries. Compared to the years of it being broken and months being knowingly broken, what are one or two days? :)

I redirected wiki.armagetronad.org to wiki.lightron.org, you probably want to tell your setup about that now to keep the address line intact.

The old wiki content is on oldwiki.armagetronad.org for the time being. There haven't been any changes since the database dump, it seems, so all should be good. Thanks a ton, Light!
Light

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:I redirected wiki.armagetronad.org to wiki.lightron.org, you probably want to tell your setup about that now to keep the address line intact.
I removed the redirect that was enforcing the domain, so both wiki.armagetronad.org and wiki.lightron.org can both be used, giving us a fallback in case anything happens to the armagetronad.org domain.

Thanks for helping get this going and not making us find a way to clone it through the site.
bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Post by bilbo baggins »

Light you are a hero <3

as well as all the other devs and people who are far too clever for there own good....
Light

Post by Light »

Of course, I inherited a bit of the issues that existed when hosted elsewhere. I have upgraded the wiki files and database and stuck a mobile-friendly theme on there. I am going to make this more Tron themed later on, but I wanted to start with a mobile friendly theme and probably get the theme closer to my Lightron site.

Hopefully a bit of the issues that existed are now gone. Some more info is in the support thread linked below.

https://lightron.org/Forums/4/19
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Which mobile-friendly theme did you use?

Also, you can get the wiki theme that I made for the new(er) mediawiki from launchpad:

Code: Select all

bzr branch lp:~armagetronad-web/armagetronad/themes
I *think* it's mobile friendly, but I don't remember. I was hard-core drinking when I worked on it. I know the theme works and looks good. There's two in there, one that upgrades it to 0.4's look, and the armaunified theme. There's also a mediawiki config file that does the setup for you. Just #include it into your regular mediawiki config file, near the end, iirc.

If you try it and it's not mobile friendly, can you give screenshots for the broken stuff? I'm back, and sober, and working on this stuff again (working on davecms right now so we can move the main website to it and basically use bzr and launchpad to update the site). I want to get ArmaUnified working everywhere (including the forums) before worrying about 0.4 again.

If you find that the wiki themes are ready to be used, can you setup a cronjob or something that automatically updates the themes when the bzr repo on launchpad gets updated? That way, I (and the rest of the web development team) can make tweaks/fixes without needing you to do anything (that's the long-term vision for all of our websites).

Edit: For reference, I went into rehab on November 18, 2018, so I was in rehab when this happened. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden