Multiple Arenas?

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Revan
Core Dumper

Multiple Arenas?

Post by Revan »

Heh, I don't know if this is a good idea or not but I was wondering if it's possible to make like 4 little arenas.

In other words you have something like this-

So you would have 4 separate arenas all with a maximum of maybe 2 -4 people in each. If there are not enough people in the server it is replaced with bots. :P

I don't know much at all about doing stuff like this so I hope you guys could find a way to do it.

Thanks! :P
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

That's basically one of the suggestions Lucifer made for the Sumo map. Easily possible, but you have to find an unconventional way to end the round. A growing deathzone should be enough.
Revan
Core Dumper

Post by Revan »

Cool, I'd say it would be awesome to have something like that. But how would you make it so the deathzone appears AFTER only 1 person in each arena is killed?
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You don't. You give them one minute to sort things out. If they don't eliminate each other before the zone appears, they'll do so as soon as they try to squeeze into the last safe corner :twisted:
Revan
Core Dumper

Post by Revan »

So one big winzone?

Is it possible for me to have 4 winzones? :twisted: :twisted:
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

It is, but what's not possible is to have them appear based on actions in the area you want to affect it. Presumably you'd want for each quadrant in your drawing, the winzone appears some factor after there's no exciting activity (a cycle dying), and you'd want that to be independent of all the other quadrants. It's that last part, the independence, that you don't have. And I don't know that we'll even be able to claim "BUG" and squeeze that into 0.2.8, seems like it would be a lot more involved with the current code, and philippe's world model should open up the possibility later on anyway.

So what you're looking at is that you can make the map just fine and isolate all the players, but you're going to wind up with 4 players just driving around by themselves with their enemies dispatched. What do you do? The game won't end the round automatically, so you need those guys to end it themselves, and suicide is the only option right now. That's a perfectly good option, but what happens when you have two players that wnt to camp? Or they don't want to give up points to their now-dead opponents? Or they just plain won't suicide (maybe you've unbalanced your score so that it's better for them to wait until each person dies)?

You could make a death zone appear and take care of the problem. You can have it appear at a set time if you wnt, which is what z-man suggested. You could also make it come up some time after there's been no interesting ctivity (cycle deaths), which would allow all the players plenty of time to fight. The problem with that last part is that if you set this time too low, it'll appear while there's still fighting going on. If you set it too long, then players will be camping until it appears.

z-man's solution was to make a winzone in the middle of the arena and to have all players far enough from it that the odd man out couldn't get there quickly enough to end the round (and I'm not sure it actually ends the round).

An alternate solution is to go ahead and connect the quadrants through small corridors, so that after a person is done fighting he can go ahead and hunt the rest. Then each round is split into two parts, first the part where everyone has to fight their immediate enemy, and second the part where they all go fight.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden