Player Police 2.5: Policies and procedures

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Player Police 2.5: Policies and procedures

Post by Lucifer »

Monkey wrote: I am one of those players. I developed some basic Arma skills by playing local games, then, as soon as I tried multiplayer/online play, I fell in love with fortress instantly. All other servers I tried, except for sumo, I didn't really like. The fortress server environments back then were friendlier than now, however, I still got kicked several times (by FoFo would you believe :P). I'm quite a tough cookie though, so I continued to come back and play and learnt the ropes.
I actually wanted to cite you, because of a vague memory of you posting about this, but the memory was too vague. :) 2020 was the same, though, and in spite of the fun people made of his vision, the Ladle changed the game for the better.
I'm going to be controversial here and say that I do. I believe that high rubber servers (including fast track servers) and servers where you must play "loose/open" are detrimental to our user base. At the moment, these kind of servers dominate the game. I believe that many people, who try this game out, enter these kind of servers and what they experience there turns them off this game forever. I can certainly state that had this been the case when I started playing, I too would have thought a lot less of this game and I might even never have come back. I should add that I class Yellow Submarine as a server that should never be made official, despite it being not quite as bad as some of the others. I still believe it's settings are just wrong (rubber too high and cycle delay too low). I'm sure I'll get some abuse for saying this :P.
I wouldn't oppose having that as a rule, either. However, the reason I'm not directly opposed to high rubber servers providing an official server is precisely because they are popular. MicroBusCity, for all that they tended to produce smegheads, also produced numerous high quality players, ultimately leading to the forming of the Wild West clan, and in spite of all of their drama, I believe they were good for the game, overall.

But I will still always vote against a high rubber server being made official because I don't want that to be a player's first experience with the game. The servers that generated the most high quality players, without question, were Goshdarn (and GoshDarnish in 0.2.6), the Breakfast servers, and the early fortress servers. When I say high quality players, I'm not talking about their skills in the game, either. I'm talking about their manners, ability to take criticism, and overall their contributions to making a fun and safe environment for other players. Other servers turned out high quality players as well, but the foundation of the community was set back in the Goshdarn days, and servers that ran on the same philosophy as Goshdarn are always the most successful servers. So, naturally, I'll tend to vote in favor of servers that are built on that philosophy (fun, fair play, and competitive, and maybe a bit difficult).

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Lucifer wrote:I will still always vote against a high rubber server being made official because I don't want that to be a player's first experience with the game.
This is exactly how I feel too and it's not like those kind of servers aren't allowed to exist.
Playing since December 2006
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Monkey, I think this is the most agreement you and I have ever had. Here's a hat tip. ;)

- Iron Maiden
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

I agree with Monkey on this one. Being a mostly loose DF player, it may seem odd from me, but my introduction to this game is my reasoning for it. I first joined HR games and it made absolutely no sense to me when I expected a Tron game. People were running into walls, not dying, going in between other walls with such a small gap you couldn't see it .. It was definitely not what I wanted in a Tron game.

Of course, since then I play with more binds than anyone should ever need on servers that pride on cycle control and run with unwritten rules. Though I will probably always like these the best, I find a more "classic Tron" server enjoyable as well, and what I would expect to see when coming to this game.

I would vote for a low to non-existent rubber server with single binds. I can understand wanting the more popular game types to shine in official servers, but I don't think that's what people come here for, and they surely don't start playing with 4+ binds per direction ready to quad bind people in HR and whatnot. I think official servers should mimic a more classic version of Tron and let the hacked up versions be private servers. This seems to be a common (and successful) strategy of many games. It lets you get used to the game a bit before regular Tron physics become meaningless.

This is actually something I haven't even put thought into until now.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Light wrote:This is actually something I haven't even put thought into until now.
I'm quite entertained by this. :)

Um, this isn't where we're talking about what the official servers will be like (I think I have to create a thread for that), but I'll be honest, I think we need five types of official servers:

* LMS Breakfast-style
* LMS Teams Breakfast-style
* Fortress (because it *is* quite popular, and still provides the "I expect a Tron game to behave like this" criteria while showing how we're not just a Tron clone)
* LMS Breakfast-in-Hell-style
* LMS Shrunkland-style

If I were going to set it up, those are the servers I'd be looking for. They're all the servers that generated the most new players for this game, and they meet your criteria of finding a game that is Tron-like, even if it has a few differences (I can't watch the light cycle sequence in the movie anymore because of this game, heh).

Edit: Honorable mentions include:

* Lobster
* Goshdarn
* /dev/null's server, Master of Hate? Miser of Hate? I don't remember what it was called.
* There were several Tiger Network servers that were quite fun, but they mostly stuck to default configs.

Not an edit: But in this thread, we're speculating. We need a new thread to talk about official servers.

- Iron Maiden
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

@Lucifer
Sounds good. :)
I think we should also include sumo and/or team sumo servers. Sumo has the same physics as fort and most people that like fort like sumo too. Many people even come/came from sumo to fort. Also, sumo has less required knowledge to play than fort, even though it's harder than fort in some ways.
Playing since December 2006