Something to think about.

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Monkey
Match Winner
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am
Location: England, UK

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Monkey »

Lucifer wrote:I'm actually on board with the global moderation thing, completely and unconditionally. You and other players like you have managed to convince me. So, see, I'm not *that* stubborn. :)
Great to hear and I never thought you were *that* stubborn. :wink:
Playing since December 2006

|Phantom~Rider|
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:20 pm
Location: Washington, D.C.

Re: Something to think about.

Post by |Phantom~Rider| »

What if on the ban list, all changes made by someone are pending until a part of the group approves the change. This could easily serve as a checks and balances type deal, allowing the choice to add or remove someone from a list to be part of the consensus. This would also do aside the issue of what if someone has a different IP, allowing a change to not be immediate and rushed, but rather thought out and rash

TaZ
Round Winner
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:46 pm

Re: Something to think about.

Post by TaZ »

Monkey wrote:One of the reasons the game is dying, or is at least very quiet nowadays, is due to the assholes. It's not the only reason but it's definitely a reason. Also, why should I remove myself when I'm not the problem? You just don't get it Light. In your view, we should keep the assholes because they are the backbone of what is left of our gaming community. Well, sorry, but you're wrong.
All games eventually die. Some of you are just stuck in the past.

User avatar
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1656
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Light »

TaZ wrote:All games eventually die. Some of you are just stuck in the past.
On my spare time I've been playing some hardcore bonk.io. :P I don't know why I currently choose it when I have Deus Ex, GW2, and a few others installed that I need to run through. There is something to simple games .. Games can last a while in the state we're in, but eventually it'll probably die.

Monkey
Match Winner
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am
Location: England, UK

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Monkey »

Taz wrote:All games eventually die. Some of you are just stuck in the past.
Wise words Taz, so I take it we won't be seeing you here or on the grids any more, right?
Playing since December 2006

TaZ
Round Winner
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:46 pm

Re: Something to think about.

Post by TaZ »

Light wrote:
TaZ wrote:All games eventually die. Some of you are just stuck in the past.
On my spare time I've been playing some hardcore bonk.io. :P I don't know why I currently choose it when I have Deus Ex, GW2, and a few others installed that I need to run through. There is something to simple games .. Games can last a while in the state we're in, but eventually it'll probably die.
It's a simple get in get out game. People just keep beating a dead horse like the durf situation that's been discussed 9999 times.

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6204
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Something to think about.

Post by sinewav »

Light wrote:I don't know why I currently choose it when I have Deus Ex, GW2, and a few others installed that I need to run through.
Heh, I never play games on my PC anymore. I've fallen into a situation where I spend about four hours a day commuting to work by bus, so that's where I play games, on my phone, and it's pretty much been Pixel Dungeon for the past year. Simple graphics, but not necessarily a simple game. Having better graphics on a Roguelike does almost nothing to enhance the enjoyment, the gameplay is what counts.

Lightcycle games still have a future. It's only a matter of time before someone writes an AI that plays as good as the best people. When that happens I'll be there to meet the challenge.

S0lutai
Average Program
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:53 pm

Re: Something to think about.

Post by S0lutai »

In my honest opinion, trolls (or assholes, if you want to call them so) didn't ruin this game (look at games like league of legends or counter strike, they're full of dickheads and still manage to retain a somewhat big player base), trolls are like crime, there will always be at least 1. The problem is that we as players give them too much importance, people eventually leave and that's a fact. No game retains it's players forever, sooner or later trolls will be gone, might be replaced by new ones or not but they will go, all of us will be done with this game eventually, it is just something we cannot stop, how many years has this game been out? +10 right? All games have a lifespan, we just gotta be realistic, if I go play multiplayer on some 2005 game what are the odds I find people to play with? What made people stop playing halo 1? Its either a better game came out (say halo 2 :D) or servers simply got shut down, right now as I am writing this post I feel like I'm visiting someone's grave seriously, you get back to the game just because of the nostalgia, but in the end, this is just like a loss, some take the time to accept it is gone, some accept it immediately, and some simply refuse to move on, that's how it'll always work.
Image
A tragedy is commonplace but in the end they go away.

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 4163
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Word »

I'd argue there's a difference between normal multiplayer games and Armagetron. If you're tired of Halo, there are lots of other franchises with almost the same gameplay. Armagetron is something quite unique though, even if we consider that there are multiple tron-inspired video games out there.

Monkey
Match Winner
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am
Location: England, UK

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Monkey »

Solutai wrote:all of us will be done with this game eventually, it is just something we cannot stop
Speak for yourself; I won't be done with this game eventually.

Also, you can't compare this kind of open source game with paid-for games. Arma is under constant development (ok, so it's slowed down for a bit but still the point remains) where as Halo and many other paid-for games aren't. They have a limited lifespan because their developers want to keep making money.
Solutai wrote:you get back to the game just because of the nostalgia
I keep playing the game because of its awesome gameplay, not because of the nostalgia.
Solutai wrote:as I am writing this post I feel like I'm visiting someone's grave
So, Solutai, I take it we won't be seeing you on here or on the grids any more, right?
Playing since December 2006

User avatar
Lucifer
Project Developer & Local Moonshiner
Posts: 8610
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:32 pm
Location: Republic of Texas
Contact:

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Lucifer »

I was actually talking to my mother-in-law the other night about this whole Player Police thing, and I found myself explaining armathentication to her. She's a programmer, works for the state, and we often talk about programming topics (I've even had her read my code and identify the problem, and she did it).

I had to contrast Armagetron with commercial games, on the subject of authentication. I pointed out that we, as a project, don't have the resources to provide authentication servers, so we created a distributed system that provides the same service, but puts the resource load on individuals. We also don't control all servers (right now, we control exactly 0 servers). In the process of creating our authentication protocol, we created something that's unique in the gaming world, something where people can authenticate on a server, with an authority, and the game server never has to deal with the user/password part of the process. Sure, it's a bit more complicated than what the commercial games offer, but I think we created a system that's more effective.

Because we're resource limited.

Commercial games provide the servers on which you play, and the good ones provide a way for players to run their own servers in addition to the commercial servers. They may even charge a premium to give access to the player-made servers. They also provide the authentication servers, and there's no other way. The company running the game decides you're an asshole, you're out of the game. Can't even see a server on the server list.

We offer freedom. We guarantee freedom (even this Player Police thing we're talking about in other threads is opt-in). In addition to a unique gameplay you don't get anywhere else, we also offer a level of respect and dignity to players and server admins that no commercial game has ever offered.

Can this community grow? I believe it can. We can have another renaissance. Do we need to update all the visual effects to make it happen? Based on the number of people I've seen get addicted to Candy Crush, I'm going to go with "no". Are there things we can do to enable that growth? Yes.
Image

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden

S0lutai
Average Program
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:53 pm

Re: Something to think about.

Post by S0lutai »

Monkey wrote:
Solutai wrote:all of us will be done with this game eventually, it is just something we cannot stop
Speak for yourself; I won't be done with this game eventually.

Also, you can't compare this kind of open source game with paid-for games. Arma is under constant development (ok, so it's slowed down for a bit but still the point remains) where as Halo and many other paid-for games aren't. They have a limited lifespan because their developers want to keep making money.
What? No one ever mentioned Money/Paid, I think you are missing the whole point right there. But I guess I'll just repeat it: No one mentioned money. If developers had more time to dedícate to this game I'm like 100% sure this game would be more awesome than it already is, but wait... time?? What is that?
Monkey wrote:
Solutai wrote:you get back to the game just because of the nostalgia
I keep playing the game because of its awesome gameplay, not because of the nostalgia.
Let's not forget who makes gameplay enjoyable, I'd hate playing fortress with bots.
Monkey wrote:
Solutai wrote:as I am writing this post I feel like I'm visiting someone's grave
So, Solutai, I take it we won't be seeing you on here or on the grids any more, right?
I'll stay in the shadows for now, but we always come back, I guess you agree with me in this, Monkey? :D

Also damn I wish this was meant to be bait, lol.
Image
A tragedy is commonplace but in the end they go away.

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6204
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Something to think about.

Post by sinewav »

S0lutai wrote:
Monkey wrote:
Solutai wrote:you get back to the game just because of the nostalgia
I keep playing the game because of its awesome gameplay, not because of the nostalgia.
Let's not forget who makes gameplay enjoyable, I'd hate playing fortress with bots.
While I do miss playing Fortress and other team games, I still enjoy playing Arma locally and will continue to do so for years to come. People talk about a "dead" game, but let's remember that this game is a lot of different things to a lot of people — and for some Arma is just as alive as ever. Lightcycle games existed for about twenty years before Armagetron. The the last decade of gaming here has been great. Even with all the technology available there is still no better game than Arma in this specific genre.

Let's also remember that not every games "dies." A great example is my other favorite game, Descent. A few years ago the source was picked up and ported, opening up a whole new generation of players to the game. Descent came out in 1995 and people are still playing it every night. And how many people are still playing goddamn Mario Brothers? Shit the "multi-player" is just your friend playing Luigi on controller two...

Monkey
Match Winner
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am
Location: England, UK

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Monkey »

Solutai wrote:all of us will be done with this game eventually, it is just something we cannot stop
Solutai wrote:I'll stay in the shadows for now, but we always come back
Two contradictory statements there, so which is it, are you going to come back or not? :?
Playing since December 2006

User avatar
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1656
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Light »

Monkey wrote:
Solutai wrote:all of us will be done with this game eventually, it is just something we cannot stop
Solutai wrote:I'll stay in the shadows for now, but we always come back
Two contradictory statements there, so which is it, are you going to come back or not? :?
Not to take sides, but he did also say about coming back for nostalgia purposes. I guess he could be done, and at some future point begin again.

Post Reply