Something to think about.

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
User avatar
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1659
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Light »

Monkey wrote:
Light wrote:If you ban someone, they can pop up a new account through one of the tons of proxies available,
I believe that now, on these forums, the first X number of posts from new accounts have to be approved by a moderator. That should keep most clowns at bay.
Most of his posts tend to be real though, so they would likely be let right through.
Monkey wrote:
Light wrote:I would also say he got what he deserved, or maybe a bit more. I would normally expect a warning or maybe like a week ban for something like that
Are you for real man? He told Z-Man, amongst other things, that he should kill himself. Yes, let's give him a warning; just a slap on the wrist will do. Maybe we should have a whip round and buy him some counselling while we're at it; poor swaggy must have had a tough life.
If that's nearly the worst thing you encounter in a game, then I'd say you should feel lucky. And before you come back with it, there's a difference between approving of what someone does, and not being triggered into a war for a ban over it.

If saying something "unacceptable" were to get people banned from this game, we'd probably be cutting our already low population in half again.

Monkey
Match Winner
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am
Location: England, UK

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Monkey »

Light wrote:If that's nearly the worst thing you encounter in a game, then I'd say you should feel lucky.
Oh I do feel lucky Light, I also turn my other buttcheek once the first one's taken a decent enough beating.
Light wrote:If saying something "unacceptable" were to get people banned from this game, we'd probably be cutting our already low population in half again.
So what you're saying is that we should let the assholes do and say pretty much what the hell they want because we don't want to reduce the number of people in this game. Good one Light.
Last edited by Monkey on Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing since December 2006

User avatar
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1659
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Light »

Monkey wrote:So what you're saying is that we should let the assholes do and say pretty much what the hell they want because we don't want to reduce the number of people in this game. Good one Light.
If it's worth killing the game to remove people you don't like, what's the point of removing them rather than yourself? There's a whole 9 people online right now. Ladle's could barely run when they did because only like two teams could be made. Reducing the number of people playing this game right now is worse than having people you dislike playing it.

Monkey
Match Winner
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am
Location: England, UK

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Monkey »

One of the reasons the game is dying, or is at least very quiet nowadays, is due to the assholes. It's not the only reason but it's definitely a reason. Also, why should I remove myself when I'm not the problem? You just don't get it Light. In your view, we should keep the assholes because they are the backbone of what is left of our gaming community. Well, sorry, but you're wrong.
Playing since December 2006

User avatar
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1659
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Light »

Monkey wrote:One of the reasons the game is dying, or is at least very quiet nowadays, is due to the assholes. It's not the only reason but it's definitely a reason. Also, why should I remove myself when I'm not the problem? You just don't get it Light. In your view, we should keep the assholes because they are the backbone of what is left of our gaming community. Well, sorry, but you're wrong.
But it seems like from your opinion it's worth making it a game played by like 2 people rather than having some people you dislike. There's also worse than Swag is just about every game, so I'm doubting that's a big reason.

User avatar
aP|Nelg
Match Winner
Posts: 586
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Something to think about.

Post by aP|Nelg »

Light wrote:
Monkey wrote:One of the reasons the game is dying, or is at least very quiet nowadays, is due to the assholes. It's not the only reason but it's definitely a reason. Also, why should I remove myself when I'm not the problem? You just don't get it Light. In your view, we should keep the assholes because they are the backbone of what is left of our gaming community. Well, sorry, but you're wrong.
But it seems like from your opinion it's worth making it a game played by like 2 people rather than having some people you dislike. There's also worse than Swag is just about every game, so I'm doubting that's a big reason.
Besides, swag is banned from a lot of the popular armagetron servers...

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6300
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Something to think about.

Post by sinewav »

Monkey wrote:One of the reasons the game is dying, or is at least very quiet nowadays, is due to the assholes.
This is also a big one for me. I rarely have time to play, but when I do, those times are quickly ruined by some of the garbage talk in the game. The petty attention-whoring and name-calling has always been there, but I have no tolerance for it anymore because I don't have an hour of free time per day for games.
Light wrote:But it seems like from your opinion it's worth making it a game played by like 2 people rather than having some people you dislike. There's also worse than Swag is just about every game, so I'm doubting that's a big reason.
I would always, always choose a game with few people rather than play with people I don't like. I personally think the community isn't hard enough on troublemakers. And saying there are worse offenders in other games doesn't justify tolerance of bad behavior here.

User avatar
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1659
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Light »

sinewav wrote:I would always, always choose a game with few people rather than play with people I don't like. I personally think the community isn't hard enough on troublemakers. And saying there are worse offenders in other games doesn't justify tolerance of bad behavior here.
I was never claiming it was justified. Just that it tends to be a common thing, and I don't think we're getting away from it any time soon. I'd also obviously disagree with your first point, but that's just going to be a differing of opinions, and there's not much past that worth stating.

Monkey
Match Winner
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am
Location: England, UK

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Monkey »

What sine said sums up how I feel too.

Anyway, it's clear that Light and I are not going to agree on the asshole issue so...
Playing since December 2006

User avatar
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1659
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Light »

Monkey wrote:Anyway, it's clear that Light and I are not going to agree on the asshole issue so...
And there's nothing wrong with that. If we agreed on everything, then talking would be pointless. :P

User avatar
Z-Man
God & Project Admin
Posts: 11365
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Z-Man »

Completely unrelated question: How certain are we that SWAG and Rookie/amaso/[Anonymous] are different persons? Like, have we seen them casually chat with each other in a game server, with each identity confirmed?

User avatar
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1659
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:Completely unrelated question: How certain are we that SWAG and Rookie/amaso/[Anonymous] are different persons? Like, have we seen them casually chat with each other in a game server, with each identity confirmed?
My assumption has always been that Rookie, Swag, and Amaso are 3 people, though I could be wrong. I'm quite confident that Rookie and Swag are different people though based on how they play. Also, Swag seems better at Loose DF than Rookie, and Rookie seems to be more CTF, and both HR. Idk Amaso .. always assumed it was a Swag wanna-be.

Of course, these are somewhat guesses, though I've been around them quite a bit in the past. And almost forgot about the Anonymous one, which I've always thought was a clone of one of their other accounts.

Monkey
Match Winner
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am
Location: England, UK

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Monkey »

I always thought that rookie and swag were different people but all other aliases belong to one of these two. Could be wrong though.
Playing since December 2006

User avatar
Z-Man
God & Project Admin
Posts: 11365
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Z-Man »

Right, I continue to think they're two separate people then. The non-reason I asked was that they both used one single IP; I had already found it on a list of open proxies, and of course they'd both be using those.

User avatar
Ratchet
Match Winner
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:55 am
Contact:

Re: Something to think about.

Post by Ratchet »

Light wrote:If it's worth killing the game to remove people you don't like, what's the point of removing them rather than yourself? There's a whole 9 people online right now.
Ironically, that's why this thread was started. According to OP, the direct result of removing someone we didn't like.
Image
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean

Post Reply