Armagetron Discord

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Ratchet
Match Winner

Re: Armagetron Discord

Post by Ratchet »

Z-Man wrote:Now that sounds quite useful. Is it possible to automate this registration in our installer? Because I'm afraid that if manual steps are involved, barely anybody is going to do that.
I can't give you a definitive answer. I'll try and find that out.

What I can say is that many games are done automatically. So, one of two things:
1) Yes, there is a way to automatically register the game with the system in some way that discord recognizes it
2) Discord has a pre-populated list of games to look for

Either way, it should be possible to get ArmagetronAd done automatically. I would say they may use auto-detecting for games and perhaps the reason tron doesn't come up is because it's called SDL_app. When I went to add tron to the list, that's what it showed up as when it was running on my computer. Of note, you can add pretty much anything to the list. You can make it say "Playing Google Chrome."

EDIT: https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us ... ection-101

That's the link I used to manually add my game into the list. Re-reading it, it seems like there may be a verified list of games. Perhaps it is submission based, and you need to only tell them the name of your executable (armagetronad.exe) and what you would like the game to be called. I will look more into it.
Last edited by Ratchet on Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Double post. Apparently I'm blind. Looking at the Games Detection 101 link, steps 4 & 5 appear to be how to get your game added to the list. Step 5 is concluded with "Once you have the cmdLine and exePath texts copied, wrap 'em up, find your carrier pigeon and shoot them over to us, along with what the proper name for the game should be, at [email protected], or leave them in a comment down below!"

My theory is that they want the information to put the game in their database
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Keep up the good work!
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Anyone already done it? Or should I?
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

I've emailed them. I'll keep you guys updated

Edit: The discord support personnel told me that is correct. He said just send him the information and he'll get it added. I've done so.

By tomorrow, Armagetron Advanced should be included within the directory of recognized games and work automatically.

Game overlay
There is also a built-in game overlay that works flawlessly with certain games. They're currently working on development to ensure smooth performance on every game. I tried it for tron and it's a little bit buggy but it's going to be an awesome feature once they get the kinks worked out. Essentially, you enable the overlay for the game and you just click a set of hotkeys and it pops up. From the little popup, you can select which voice channel you are in. Currently you can't do anything with chat rooms but I would imagine that will become a future feature for the overlay
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Ratchet wrote:By tomorrow, Armagetron Advanced should be included within the directory of recognized games and work automatically.
Goody, thanks!
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

This topic is literally giving me cancer and I need everyone to chime in for the chemo funding because you owe me. I didn't read anything past the <thread title and jumped to conclusions thereafter> because I'd like to live a little longer, thanks. Discord isn't just a web client, it's software you can download but you can also run it in a browser which I doubt many people do. I've had it for months now and MANY gaming communities for popular games have big communities on there(think Overwatch, World of Warcraft, Counter-Strike: GO). It's basically IRC with voice channels, you can use text only or join a voice lobby. Honestly, you people are so old and washed up and unwilling to try new things that it's no wonder this game died.
Last edited by Z-Man on Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed!
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

^ if that's the "Fixed!" version, what was the original?!

P.S., if the subject matter of her post remains the same, I agree with it. you guys should definitely consider using it more heavily. I'm sad that I don't have the drive for this game like I used to or else I'd be helping get everyone on it :/
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Ratchet wrote:^ if that's the "Fixed!" version, what was the original?!
Replace the <> bits with "the first page".
Ratchet wrote:P.S., if the subject matter of her post remains the same, I agree with it. you guys should definitely consider using it more heavily. I'm sad that I don't have the drive for this game like I used to or else I'd be helping get everyone on it :/
Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. I already feel like I'm neglecting the communication platforms we have. Like, post a bug on Launchpad and watch me ignore it to death. PMs here that require me to do something before I can respond essentially get responded to when the next Ladle requires me to sit on my PC anyway. Opening up another channel would do no good in practice. So while I acknowledge that it could be a good thing (reservations about it being a closed platform pushed aside), I'm not super motivated to do anything myself.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Ratchet wrote:I'm sad that I don't have the drive for this game like I used to...
I think it's a sentiment felt by most everyone for different reasons. Personally I would love to play Arma every day but life has become too busy for all games, not just Arma. These days, the extent of my gaming is restricted to playing Pixel Dungeon on my phone while taking a crap in the restroom at work.
johnny.nbk.
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by johnny.nbk. »

A bit late but here's the most active Armagetron discord Channel with pickup bot
https://discordapp.com/invite/pserC3m

https://tinyurl.com/armagetronnoobs

and here's another one
https://discordapp.com/invite/y4YBFfz
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

bebad wrote:A bit late but here's the most active Armagetron discord Channel with pickup bot
https://discordapp.com/invite/pserC3m

https://tinyurl.com/armagetronnoobs

and here's another one
https://discordapp.com/invite/y4YBFfz
I'm pretty sure this thread was the reason for the creation of the discord on the bottom link on your post.
This post in particular: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 89#p298289
Als Used Cars

Post by Als Used Cars »

Hi-
I ran into some old friends recently and was invited to join the Discord AA group. Because im not that current, I didnt know Discord was a group voice chat server. So I didn't get a chance to thank them politely (anyway) and explain that I'm deaf. Wishing you guys all the best :)
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Als Used Cars wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:32 pm Hi-
I ran into some old friends recently and was invited to join the Discord AA group. Because im not that current, I didnt know Discord was a group voice chat server. So I didn't get a chance to thank them politely (anyway) and explain that I'm deaf. Wishing you guys all the best :)
Discord provides both text and voice chat options. Generally, almost all chat is in text chat, but there are a few times where they hop in voice chat.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

I still think I had a damn good idea.