The decline of team servers

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Your_mom
Match Winner

The decline of team servers

Post by Your_mom »

I drop in every now and then for a quick game. Recently i've had a bit of time to get back on the grid a bit more. I noticed the once full ctf and half full fort servers are empty whenever i decide to play. Team gameplay/servers seem to be largely empty. There seems to be a small surge around the start of the month for the ladle where i see slightly larger amounts of players in fort servers. ie 4v4.

I cant remember when the last 8 v 8 fort game I played or even a 3 v 3 ctf game. The servers i always see with players are high rubber(not my cup of tea) and sumo (which is fun, but i never see team sumo servers utilized{if they still exist}) [*note: Is there any last team standing servers up? There's obviously no demand for it, just curious.]

I suspect a lack of new players and decline of older players as the main culprit. Who wants to play 2v1 fort for long? When there's more players team mode servers fill up substantially quicker.

Just wanted to point out the obvious. And just kind of nostalgia over when Fort servers and subsequently ctf servers were practically always full.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Re: The decline of team servers

Post by ConVicT »

lol, man, if I wanna play fort, I have to be a nighthawk :D (1-3 in the morning GMT)
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Your_mom is correct about this issue. I'm hoping that when version 0.4 is officially released, Lucifer's idea about having official servers will be encorporated into it. This should, IMO, help to keep some new players in the game. Currently, if you download this game for the first time and view the master server browser, you have to choose between high rubber, fast track and possibly sumo; the first two being, IMO, complete nonsense and the the last one being too difficult for new players.
Playing since December 2006
[goy]

Post by [goy] »

Hello all. Well, I am new with fort and sumo, been playing ys and fc alot since 2009 (had a 5 year brake in between). Thanks to all the fort players for tips - Monkey, Maverick, Hoax.. And I will disregard obvious tk- ing me, and insults by some players. I guess thats part of the game.
P.s are there any guides on splits amd what each position can do for example? I have been watching ladle videos on yt, that helps alot.

Anyway good to be back!
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

http://www.zomgholers.wordpress.com (Archive of Concord's PlayFortress blog). Just search for attack/defense/sweep etc.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Heya goy, glad to see you made it here :)
Playing since December 2006
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Welcome goy. There is also a small archive of articles at fortvault. We are now past the days of intricate team strategy. Most players just try to perform the duties of their position as best they can. Feel free to ask about any position and we will do our best to describe the best practice.