Just in case you think it's no big deal

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Just in case you think it's no big deal

Post by /dev/null »

Lucifer wrote: There. No code changes made.
Good, stop ******* with the rubber assholes.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I don't know why you're all so shocked or perplexed. I've been talking about this garbage for years. The trolling, the sexism/misogyny, and even the individual who happens to be the focus of this thread. I banned Pressure from my servers at least 5 years ago, and folks like nara and sinewav were like "lol what for?" Sigh.

Yes, Gaming/Internet Culture is a steaming pile of toxic waste, full of regressive, reactionary, anti-intellectual, nihilistic, misogynistic, sociopathic dregs. And something needs to be done about it.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Welcome back, seems like you can already pat yourself on the back for being ahead of the time. :)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I'm just mad /dev/null beat me to the page break.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

As long as he's perma-banned that isn't likely to happen ever again, if that's giving you comfort.
nara
Core Dumper

Post by nara »

Phytotron wrote:I don't know why you're all so shocked or perplexed. I've been talking about this garbage for years. The trolling, the sexism/misogyny, and even the individual who happens to be the focus of this thread. I banned Pressure from my servers at least 5 years ago, and folks like nara and sinewav were like "lol what for?" Sigh.

Yes, Gaming/Internet Culture is a steaming pile of toxic waste, full of regressive, reactionary, anti-intellectual, nihilistic, misogynistic, sociopathic dregs. And something needs to be done about it.
If any other server owners would ban Pressure from their servers, it would be much appreciated. He continues to enter servers under alias and deliberately spew sexist insults to me, in public or in PM. For example, Mud Puddle would be a great place to start, where this originated and where he continued a few days ago.

Phytotron, you saw how people reacted to my thread. The majority of people don't think it's a big deal that people are deliberately attacking others. Server owners for the most part haven't done anything to increase moderation. The mentality that "something needs to be done about it" needs to be shared by the community, and for the most part it's not.

Hopefully I've changed some in 5 years :wink: Also, love your avatar! I assume you made it.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

nara wrote:
Phytotron wrote:I don't know why you're all so shocked or perplexed. I've been talking about this garbage for years. The trolling, the sexism/misogyny, and even the individual who happens to be the focus of this thread. I banned Pressure from my servers at least 5 years ago, and folks like nara and sinewav were like "lol what for?" Sigh.

If any other server owners would ban Pressure from their servers, it would be much appreciated. He continues to enter servers under alias and deliberately spew sexist insults to me, in public or in PM. For example, Mud Puddle would be a great place to start, where this originated and where he continued a few days ago.

Phytotron, you saw how people reacted to my thread. The majority of people don't think it's a big deal that people are deliberately attacking others. Server owners for the most part haven't done anything to increase moderation. The mentality that "something needs to be done about it" needs to be shared by the community, and for the most part it's not.

Hopefully I've changed some in 5 years :wink: Also, love your avatar! I assume you made it.
The press IP list has been growing over in sideboob...
nara
Core Dumper

Post by nara »

aP|Nelg wrote: The press IP list has been growing over in sideboob...
Thanks.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

nara wrote:For example, Mud Puddle would be a great place to start, where this originated and where he continued a few days ago.
That server has always had wacko moderation.
Yeah, honestly, I think this community is probably over. Like I said in the other thread, this should have been nipped in the bud years ago. In a community as inevitably small as this one, if you let that toxicity spread and takeover, I don't think there's any recovery.

I had an extensive argument with Z-Man over this back then, and he just has a really different philosophy on this kind of behavior and how to deal with it. I mean, I don't like being right here—if I just didn't give a shit I would have remained away from the game the first time I left and not fought so vociferously against these people and their ways when I came back—but I do feel like it's a case of "told you so." Everything we're dealing with now is a direct result of a failure to act back then.

Also, love your avatar! I assume you made it.
Um, insofar that I cropped a screenshot and resized it to fit the forum requirements...sure, I made it! It's from an oldish game called Omikron: The Nomad Soul, a game with conflicting reception from "mediocre and clunky" to "one of the greats," known as much for its ambition and unrealized, in fact literally unfinished, potential. It was made by David Cage and Eidos, who were behind a couple more recent games you might've heard of: Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls.

And it's also known for being that neat game David Bowie was involved with. He had some input into the production and story, appeared as two different characters, and he and Reeves Gabrels also created the soundtrack—some of which went on to be on the Hours... album. (I think the style of music found on Outside and Earthling would have been more fitting to the aesthetic of the game, but hey.) You can find videos of in-game performances of these songs on youtube. You can also find a video of the section from which the character in my avatar appears, but I would advise avoiding it if you think you might ever have any interest in playing the game—it's a rather spoiler-heavy moment.

Square Enix were actually giving away free copies of the game in memorium following Bowie's death. That supposedly expired on January 22nd, although the page still says free; could always try. Or you could wait until one of GOG's season sales and get it for just a couple bucks, and it'll be all set up to run on modern Windows (plus inclusion of other features like the soundtrack and concept art)—I'm not sure if that's the case with the Square Enix or Steam versions.
Attachments
Boz rendering full.jpg