What happened to music?

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

What happened to music?

Post by ConVicT »

First off, I want to make it clear that I don't hate new music just because I'm older 'now' (I'm only 24) and my taste in music hasn't changed much. I like to think that I progress with the music (I have since I liked music).
1) I've always been slightly choosy in what "gets me up for it".
2) I need good lyrics in order to "get me up for it"
3) Some people won't get this one, but: If I'm listening to a track and I'm high (just weed), I will start to analyze the lyrics of a song, and doing so makes around 60% of songs start to sound cheesy, not make sense, and/or sound completely crap, which only makes me want to ask the artist wtf he was thinking when he wrote it

I just deleted all of my suggested music from 'youtube suggestions' and I found a few songs that are really annoying, and I mean ANNOYING
Please, someone tell me, please: Why does this have fifty six and a half million views.

I know it's because of who it is, but this is why music is becoming crap; artists only have to make a name for themselves and then just make crap and it will be lapped up!
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Re: What happened to music?

Post by ConVicT »

FYI; "gets me up for it" means that it just generally, as music should; releases those "let's do it" endorphins. :D

Edit: Reading my second quote back; I claim the medical term "Let's do it-endorphins".
Can't 'ave Nike stealing that one.
Just imagine the advert for the energy drink. Buy Are you sick of new music and how shit it is? Drink Nike energy drink with added "Let's do it-endorphins; you will be doing it all night!
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

JUST DO IT
Attachments
just do it.gif
just do it.gif (2.09 MiB) Viewed 4205 times
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Convict wrote:Are you sick of new music and how shit it is?
Yes.
Playing since December 2006
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:Please, someone tell me, please: Why does this have fifty six and a half million views.
It has 56+ million views because people like you post links and say OMG WTF LISTEN TO THIS CRAP (and naturally, the page hits roll in). That said, I skimmed through the track and it didn't offend me, though I would not voluntarily listen to it again.

You know what happened to music? It got awesome. I'm an old man (mid 40's now, wow!) and historically people my age are supposed to hate new music, but I can't because there is too much awesome stuff to listen to. I was just talking about this to a friend last weekend when he commented "I thought you would be more curious about new music." He said this because I'm not into his favorite new music and thought I didn't like new music at all. However, the real problem is I am up to my eardrums in awesome new sounds. Think about it. At any time of day I can start streaming music from one of countless different services, literally covering every known genre. It's pretty much impossible to hear only bad music. If this happens to you, then you are spending too much time having "personal suggestions" sent to you by algorithms instead of actively looking for new sounds.

Here is a smooth rnb/hip-hop mix,
Some girl metal,
and some Deep House.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

sinewav wrote:It has 56+ million views because people like you post links and say OMG WTF LISTEN TO THIS CRAP
Hahahahaha :D
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

A little while ago I read a really cool comment on Reddit that said exactly what I think on this topic but I can't find it right now... I have a hard time explaining myself on this, I don't know why but I'll give it a try.

Basically, people have been complaining about the current state of music since forever. I bet you a million dollars when Beatles came out, they recieved just as much negative feedback as Justin Bieber after he dropped "Baby". So if you're successful you're bound to have haters.
Another good example that I saw today - Not everybody from Elvis era loved him.

Prediction for future (like 2050?): Old grandpa sees his grandchildren listening to some new hot artist at the time. He turns off their speakers via voice command and starts giving them a lecture. "Oh children, what are you listening to nowadays? My God, the times have changed. How can you listen to this crap? Man, I remember back in my days we had Young Thugs, Nicki Minajs, Drakes.. Oh, those were the days when music had actual meaning." The kids just roll their eyes and tell him to **** off.

I used to be a hardcore "golden era" 90s hip hop fan. I was the guy that posted "If 2Pac was alive, Lil Wayne would be working at McDonalds"-type comments on every one of his videos on YouTube. When I heard songs like 'Hard In The Paint' and 'Blowin Money Fast' I tried really hard not to like it. I kept saying the lyrics are wack and telling myself I don't want to listen to this... I'm ashamed I used to be so close-minded about music. There's a time and place for everything. If you're at a club partying with your friends you don't wanna listen to Tech N9ne rap about our society and problems of it, trying to figure out the deeper meaning behind his lyrics. You want to wild out on some ignorant stuff like Chief Keef lol. The lyrics are pretty much garbage but who cares??? It's repetitive but catchy. Just relax and enjoy yourself.

If this video has so many million views then you know they're doing something right. They know what the people want to hear and they deliver. Cudos to them for being successful!

TL;DR Every generation has complained about the generation before them.
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Ah, it's always nice to come on to the armagetron forums and see what drunken me from the night before has been up to.
Magi wrote:JUST DO IT
Yeah, it's not "Let's do it" at all is it :lol:

I've read everything that you all have said and I agree with you.
I think what I meant by this last night was... Let my try an analogy:
If someone were to make the worst pair of jeans imaginable that nobody in their right mind would wear, and the head of Levi's were to say "well, we haven't brought anything new out lately, so, wack that label on there anyway", the jeans would still fly off the shelf just because they're Levi's.

So the same goes for the song I linked to. I don't think most people would listen to it, but they do because it's Calvin Harris.

Then again, maybe my taste in music has changed a lot in the past 2-3 years. I've started preferring music from the 70's-90's. I dunno, it just seems to have more substance.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:So the same goes for the song I linked to. I don't think most people would listen to it, but they do because it's Calvin Harris.
All this really says is that you have a more critical ear than the average person. Many people enjoy music in a social context. They really don't care about the artist or melody, but they heard the song while out having a good time with their friends and hearing it again gives them a good feeling. There is nothing wrong with that. Music enjoyment is a fairly subjective experience. What's true about popular music is also true about human psychology, and that doesn't change a whole lot.

Here is a personal anecdote about music and social context (I posted this here previously):

"I remember being somewhat forced to listen to a lot of crappy bands when I was younger just because all my friends liked them. Here is one example: Sometime in the mid to late 90's a couple friends dragged me against my will to a L.A. Guns concert. I never owned a L.A. Guns record, but I'll be damned if I didn't know the words to every song. Musical osmosis."

I still don't own an L.A. Guns record and never plan to. I didn't like them then and I don't like them now. Yet, if I hear one of their songs I'll get a good feeling because of the good times I had with that music in the background and I'll be able to sing along with every song.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

L.A. Guns > Weezer, Eminem and Shaggy xD
kite
Average Program

Post by kite »

Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

One major problem for me is dynamic range compression. It's everywhere. Remasters of old music are fatiguing to say the least. New music doesn't offer a choice. Along with that come other effects that are often used with abandon. Music doesn't need straight-up autotune to sound so artificial it's hard to connect with.

Sometimes I'll run across something older and keep listening to it. I might not even like the genre. The rare freshness of unadulterated sound is why I stick with it.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

ConVicT wrote: Please, someone tell me, please: http://0x4A7D158A. Why does this have fifty six and a half million views
Possibly because people like you keep linking it?