Blast from the past

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Blast from the past

Post by Lucifer »

So, I was looking around my hard drive trying to find my old aiplayers.cfg, and stumbled across the classic moviepack I made that has the pre-0.2.7.1 stuff (It might be pre-0.2.8.0, I don't remember, but it's the old stuff). If you played 0.2.7.0 or anything older, you played this default look at some point.

Here's some pics: (It's from 0.4 running the moviepack)
title.jpg
2015-02-24_23-28-24.png
2015-02-24_23-30-25.png
2015-02-24_23-30-28.png
2015-02-24_23-30-32.png
PS If anybody has a copy of my old aiplayers.cfg, I'd appreciate if you sent it to me.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Durf
Match Winner

Re: Blast from the past

Post by Durf »

Ummm, why is there a hexagon minimap when you're inside a square? (LOL)

Anyway, is the file you're looking for some custom file? (custom edited, not available from any installation)
Or would we have it with some old installation of Armagetron? (because that I might have)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

You don't have it, sorry. I stopped using my custom aiplayers file long before you found thisgame.

aiplayers.cfg is a file that ships with the game. IIt's in the config directory and stores ai names and values that modify their behavior. Since it comes with the game, upgrading overwrites it, so if you don't keep a backup of your changes, you lose them.

- Iron Maiden
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

I have an old comp's HDD from when I played tron years ago (this would be around a decade's time, you don't know when I "found" tron).
If you wanted me to take a look, I can - if you insist that I don't have it, then I must not have it.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

You don'thave it. If i shared it, it would have been privately. Misery (who is currently in the hospita) is the likeliest person to have it, followed by PPhytotron.

- Iron Maiden
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

Durf wrote:Anyway, is the file you're looking for some custom file? (custom edited, not available from any installation)
Or would we have it with some old installation of Armagetron? (because that I might have)
then this..
Lucifer wrote:aiplayers.cfg is a file that ships with the game.
and this..
Lucifer wrote:If i shared it, it would have been privately
I mean, at least you answered the question; but please try to actually read what was said and answer that to we don't have to go through another 2-3 posts to reach the same conclusion.

Thanks for answering more specifically.

Sidenote: you can use http://durf.tk/ai to create a new aiplayers.cfg file for yourself.
Side-sidenote: if you want values over 10, you'll have to edit the file manually, otherwise use the GUI available.
Even if you don't get the original file, that tool should be able to aid you in your quest to get what you once had (at the very least, it's better than working in a text-editor).
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

mis is in the hospital? ****, what for?

also, durf, you are but a kid compared to us.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

/dev/null wrote:mis is in the hospital? ****, what for?

also, durf, you are but a kid compared to us.
He didn't say. :(

- Iron Maiden
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

still a ******* bummer.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

also, I see you seeing.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Maybe it's just me, but there haven't been new moviepacks in ages. :| New players, step up and create something.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Erm, all those textures (the Borg cube walls, the curve cycle walls, the green grid floor) were the default textures pre-0.2.8. (Remember, we went through that whole messy user submission and voting process to decide new textures for 0.2.8?) I'm fairly certain Z-Man made the arena walls, not sure about the cycle walls. The only thing I don't recognize off-hand is the lightning title screen. I don't think that was ever included by default, though I could be mistaken.

There definitely needs to be a refresh of the default textures pack with 0.4. I never liked the ones included with 0.2.8. (Why are you featuring pi in a square arena? And what's with the heavy metal cycle walls?) This time around, I wouldn't even bother going through the kind of mess we did last time. Just hand it over to sinewav. Let him come up with a few (he already has several really nice ones), and go with one. Maybe poll them, but really, just pick one nice.

I'm not sure if I have your old AI config. I'll have to go digging in my old Mac stuff. I'll check later.

Oh, but that reminds me: the names! That's the other thing that was unrecognizable about the BiH you put up. I remember one that was named like SuicidalTendenc or such, with the end of the name cut off because it was too long, heh. Can't remember the others off-hand.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Aw, I liked the 0.2.8 textures! Haha. The walls are very... cozy. What changed from 0.2.8 to 0.4 to make the grid lines thicker? Reverse that!

Also, because I've whined almost everywhere else I'm sure -- the 0.4 sounds are scary and dreadful!

I'd be willing to participate in a vote to decide new textures though :)
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Phytotron wrote:I'm not sure if I have your old AI config. I'll have to go digging in my old Mac stuff. I'll check later.

Oh, but that reminds me: the names! That's the other thing that was unrecognizable about the BiH you put up. I remember one that was named like SuicidalTendenc or such, with the end of the name cut off because it was too long, heh. Can't remember the others off-hand.
Found them! Creation date December, 2005. This one says that one name was actually "Suicidal_Thoughts." But the other names don't look familiar from back in the day. I dunno. Anyway, PM'ed.