Post your smartcam settings here

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Monkey
Match Winner

Post your smartcam settings here

Post by Monkey »

Post your smartcam settings here. I think it would also be useful to state which version of Armagetron you are using and include your glance settings too (please state if you are using custom glances or smartcam glances as well).

@Mods
Would it be useful to put this information on the wiki too or would that not be appropriate seeing as some people may have altered the advanced settings, which is unsupported?

For reference, I have listed the smartcam settings, including their default values and meanings (in 0.2.8 at least):

Standard settings:
CAMERA_SMART_START_X 10 # smart camera start position
CAMERA_SMART_START_Y 30 # ( relative to cycle )
CAMERA_SMART_START_Z 2

Advanced settings (CHANGING THESE IS UNSUPPORTED SO DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK):
CAMERA_SMART_DISTANCE 4.0 # typical distance the camera keeps from the cycle
CAMERA_SMART_HEIGHT 2.0 # typical height in speed units
CAMERA_SMART_TURN_GRINDING 5.0 # Amount of turning from grinding walls
CAMERA_SMART_MIN_DISTANCE 10.0 # minimal distance of the camera to the cycle in .3 meters
CAMERA_SMART_HEIGHT_EXTRA .5 # extra factor for height. Either this or the previous setting is redundant :)
CAMERA_SMART_HEIGHT_TURNING .5 # influence of turning on camera height
CAMERA_SMART_HEIGHT_GRINDING 0.0 # influence of grinding on camera height. In 0.2.7.1, this was set to 2, causing the camera to tilt down too far.
CAMERA_SMART_HEIGHT_OBSTACLE 1.0 # influence of obstacles in front of the cycle
# these settings determine the focal point calculation
CAMERA_SMART_CENTER_POS_SMOOTH 6.0 # speed of cycle position smoothing
CAMERA_SMART_CENTER_DIR_SMOOTH 3.0 # speed of cycle direction smoothing
CAMERA_SMART_CENTER_LOOKAHEAD .5 # amount of lookahead on top of smoothing, relative to speed
CAMERA_SMART_CENTER_MAX_LOOKAHEAD 5 # maximal amount of lookahead on top of smoothing
# now come the really obscure settings
CAMERA_SMART_AVOID_FRONT 10.0 # factor moving the camera to the side if it is in front of the cycle
CAMERA_SMART_AVOID_FRONT2 0.1 # another factor moving the camera to the side if it is in front of the cycle
CAMERA_SMART_CYCLESPEED 20.0 # typical cycle speed
CAMERA_SMART_DISTANCESCALE .2 # distance scale measured relative to cycle speed
CAMERA_SMART_MIN_DISTANCESCALE 5.0 # minimal distance scale in meters
Playing since December 2006
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: Post your smartcam settings here

Post by Phytotron »

I've always used Smart Cam, and I've never changed the default settings. I've messed with them a bit, but never found any that made enough of a difference, or a desired difference, to make them permanent. (Mainly, I would have liked to reduce how shallow/flat the inclination gets and how far it pulls back at higher speeds and in open areas. But I couldn't find a way to do that reliably.)

I've used Smart Cam back to 0.2.6. I've never used a client newer than 0.2.8.x.

I've used custom glances since not long after they were introduced, and of course tailored them to compliment the Smart Cam. Here are the settings I have 'on file':

Code: Select all

CAMERA_GLANCE_BACK    12        # how much the camera is moved back
CAMERA_GLANCE_RISE    10        # the height of the camera above the cycle
CAMERA_GLANCE_BACK_FROMSPEED 0 	# how much the camera is moved back for every m/s speed
CAMERA_GLANCE_RISE_FROMSPEED 0 	# the height of the camera above the cycle for every m/s speed
CAMERA_GLANCE_PITCH   -.7      	# inclination of the camera
These were most suited to small- to medium-sized arenas with moderate speeds, and ideal for Shrunkland. Bigger arenas and higher speeds would usually require increasing _RISE and _BACK temporarily because of course the speed, in particular, also caused the Smart Cam to pull out further (the thing I tried unsuccessfully to reduce). If I didn't increase them then there would be really abrupt, almost buggy-ish, transitions to and from Smart Cam and the glances.

The cool thing about using custom glances with the Smart Cam together is that you can use the glances to sort of control the Smart Cam, reorienting it and whatnot.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

LOL Smartcam. More like Stupidcam. I'll have to look at the settings above, but any camera that allows your cycle to leave your field of view is a bad camera. And if you have to constantly glance to "reset" the field of view, then that is another indicator of a bad implementation.
Attachments
At one point I could only see my trail and not the cycle. Why? So stupid...
At one point I could only see my trail and not the cycle. Why? So stupid...
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

The wiki has a page for camera settings here. Since there's no special page for smartcam in any way, we could just add the smartcam's commands and your settings for them there. I might just do that later.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

@vov
Isn't that page actually called "Custom_Camera" though? Shouldn't we (and by we I mean you :P ) create a new page called "Smart_Camera" or whatever?
Playing since December 2006