Lightron Resource Now Able To Be Navigated

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: resource.armagetronad.net is down

Post by Light »

Tank Program wrote:I just now noticed that there's no up directory button. The only way to go up is to use back, which I think could occiasionally be problematic given that navigation appears to be done by (post!) form. There are also these broken image icons for me, which I've just realized are for previewing. The outer icon shapes don't even appear when I use chromium, although I still see the broken images. Some mod_rewrite rules to take http://resource.armagetronad.net/resour ... n/regular/ to a valid directory listing would be cool too. Still a nice browser, I'm just pointing out some things I notice/offering suggestions. :)
I'll hit on a few of them points. First being the images. That was brought up in another post by Nelg and it's fixed now. I didn't think about it from the view of a subdomain without owning the domain. I just put a full link to it to fix.

The back button. I never really thought using back would be an issue. Even with using POST. I guess an up button wouldn't hurt.

Oh, that last one. It wouldn't even take any extra rewrite rules. I'm just a forgetful bastard. I did it right as I posted this. :)
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Re: Lightron Resource Now Able To Be Navigated

Post by Tank Program »

The case for the up button would be say you were linked to http://resource.armagetronad.net/resour ... s/polygon/ and wanted to explore, but now that you can edit the URI directly it's not a huge issue. The icons do all work.

Clicking on the preview icon (which isn't immediately obvious what it is, maybe add a title="Preview" for hovering?), the preview shadow box pops up, but has scroll bars, with a some PHP warning underneath. Fixing, or at least suppressing the warning would probably keep the scroll bars away, but you could use a overflow: hidden or maybe some extra padding to help keep that from happening. I like how it's transparent!

Keep up the good work.
Attachments
Scroll bars in the shadow box!
Scroll bars in the shadow box!
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Any way I can see the XML source instead of viewing a picture?Edit: Figured it out

PS. Your resource is missing a few things... I dont see some maps that are in rxtron.com/aa/resource/ that I think were on the old resource.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Ooo, here's a super-cool idea. How about the default link of a resource from a browser open a syntax highlighted version of the XML? This would make it really convenient to look at resources at a glance, particularly things that aren't maps. You could do this with a bit of User-Agent header checking magic or since you're navigating by database anyway through that. If you did show a syntax highlighted version, you'd also need to add an additional link to download in plain text. highlight_string(); seems like a useful starting point.

Also, just had the idea that instead of adding an up button, you could click on the folder name in the little black bar at the top to navigate to a parent directory. A hover would be useful to let the user know this was possible. Hovers (or tooltip texts via title="blah") for the icons in general would be good as it's not necessarily obvious what you can and can't click on since (at least for me) the mouse doesn't change.

Just tossing out some more random ideas. :)
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

aP|Nelg wrote:Any way I can see the XML source instead of viewing a picture?Edit: Figured it out

PS. Your resource is missing a few things... I dont see some maps that are in rxtron.com/aa/resource/ that I think were on the old resource.
My script doesn't crawl the resources for files. What it does is attempts to locate them on other servers upon request if I'm missing them, then caches them and then would be able to be navigated to. When it was made, it didn't have a way to navigate it. It was just for personal use and the clients would request a file and would download it, and nobody would suspect it was missing in the first place. I don't plan on "fixing" that.

Example: If there's a file at "rxtron.com/aa/resource/test/file.xml" then you can use that URL like "resource.armagetronad.net/resource/test/file.xml" and it will be downloaded by the server and instantly available to you as if it already existed. You will then see it in the browser as well.
Tank Program wrote:Clicking on the preview icon (which isn't immediately obvious what it is, maybe add a title="Preview" for hovering?), the preview shadow box pops up, but has scroll bars, with a some PHP warning underneath. Fixing, or at least suppressing the warning would probably keep the scroll bars away, but you could use a overflow: hidden or maybe some extra padding to help keep that from happening. I like how it's transparent!
I noticed that as well. I need to check the script and figure out what's wrong in some maps and not others. I just haven't really had much time to sit around and go through it. I'll probably just suppress the warnings for now.

As for making it more obvious, I thought of that before but I wanna think of a nice way to do it. Maybe even sub-icons (is that a word, a thing? it is now) so you'd have a choice to preview, download, etc. Also, I think rather than make plain text download a special thing, I'd make syntax highlighted a special thing so there wouldn't be a need to check user agents or anything. I never even checked what yuns set the user agent of the client as. lol

I never thought it would have been used as the official repo. Now that it's gone that far, I'll try to improve it a bit. It's not just a personal little tool anymore. :P