Why we use fake names

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Locked
[Censored]
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:30 am

Re: Why we use fake names

Post by [Censored] »

@Lucifer: Well, I just saw this post. If you're talking about *that* conversation, in *that* server, I'll elaborate further. This was a while ago and something forgettable, but you wrote a topic about it, so whatever.
Why haven't we fixed it? Why haven't we updated the game? Why haven't we put out all this work to make the game better for him/her?
Right off the bat you're misquoting (mis-paraphrasing?-I'll explain below) here. I wasn't asking about any of that... On a late night, we were in .dbd|Sumo Dive, a server that's lately become notorious for it's terrible server lag, but unfortunately still popular as there aren't many great US sumobar alternatives.

So I mention this server lag to you, to get your opinion as a dev and a player on what to do about it and maybe figure out why the lag is particularly bad on dbd's server. I don't use these forums as often as it seems you do, so it appeared as good a time as any.

To which you answer [paraphrasing], you 'had no idea' what lag I was referring to and said something snobbish about me not being able to handle lag in general, etc.

So right then I realize to continue the conversation topic, I'd have to establish that dbd sumo dive had server lag, (which is already a nonissue, since it repeatedly freezes and 8 players die at the same time), and since you kept ignoring that line I repeated about the 8 simultaneous deaths, I didn't feel like trying to explain the server lag further. This led to the next topic, about a different kind of lag:

In that, a number of servers lag ( i.e freeze/jump) when players enter or leave the server, or when a player authenticates. It could be a coincidence or it could be a real lag-causing issue, but your response to this was to start explaining your absence from the game ( divorce, work, etc), as if it was directed at solely you, and not a general question. Except, no, I wasn't specifically inquiring about you (or the devs, for that matter) "Why didn't you fix this yet?" like you implied in your faux-dialogue.
"Ok, Z-man has a kid with a genetic anomaly that requires a certain amount of attention, and Tank Program is finishing college."

That wasn't good enough.
True, you did then start mentioning z-man's circumstances.... which I was already aware of. But, again, along with Tank being busy (which also wasn't unknown), it didn't really apply to our conversation about lag. Which is why I didn't even bother responding to those comments, when you typed it in-game. So, no, I never said, not even paraphrasing, "it [the dev's collective effort towards the game] wasn't good enough" you just put those words there. Four times. I'm not even sure how you jumped to that conclusion.


So to reiterate, no, I wasn't accusingly asking "Why haven't you fixed __ ?" etc., I was wondering what was causing the very specific, horrendous lag that apparently you knew nothing about. That wasn't a fault on you, though, just a characteristic of self. Except you somehow construed the question as complaining about the dev's inaction as a whole or somehow "wanting updates," and posted your heartbreaking struggle on a forum where there definitely won't be a circlejerk.... Wanting updates? Really? That's got to be a joke-- if anything, some updates after 0.2.8.3 made it worse (e.g. who needs a minimap you cant turn off? takes up valuable screen space and not every gametype has uses for it. and an independent custom_glance was removed? why?) But I digress...

Back on point:
That wasn't good enough.

Truth is: Nothing's good enough.

It's not that the reasons provided "weren't good enough" (which interestingly enough, I never said or even implied - contrary to what you wrote I said - since I never responded to your reasons), it's that no explanation was needed since it wasn't an accusation of inaction concerning the game's lag problems, but discussing them.

Persecution complex much? You jumped straight to the defensive on a general question about lag and what could be done about it, but if that wasn't enough, you even wrote a post about it to make yourself feel better and get your pats on the back.

That says more about you and how you see yourself than you think. The "truth is" it's not me who thinks "nothing is good enough" like you wrote multiple times-- it's you.


P.S.

<snip>

In conclusion, do keep that poor taste of a name, so I know it's you. I'll use lube next time.
Last edited by Z-Man on Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Family forums.

User avatar
Lucifer
Project Developer & Local Moonshiner
Posts: 8610
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:32 pm
Location: Republic of Texas
Contact:

Re: Why we use fake names

Post by Lucifer »

Wow. I just...wow.

In my first post in this thread, i said there were several conversations. I'm quite curious why you interpreted it as THAT conversation.

I'm also curious why you're leaving out key parts of the conversation. Like the part where i was cracking old school jokes, the part where i said i had no idea why the lag was there, etc.

Finally, I'm curious if you've read the wiki article i wrote 8 years ago when i was sick of talking about lag in-game, when i just wanted to play.
Image

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden

User avatar
takburger
Match Winner
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Why we use fake names

Post by takburger »

What's funny is that I don't lag in dbd yet my connection goes under the atlantic ocean
Image

User avatar
ppotter
Match Winner
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:45 am

Re: Why we use fake names

Post by ppotter »

I've never noticed any particular lag in there either. Obviously it's impacted somewhat when it's got 8 players, but that tends to be the same in any sumo server. Never noticed any lag when a player enters/leaves/authenticates either.

[Censored]
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:30 am

Re: Why we use fake names

Post by [Censored] »

@Lucifer:
In my first post in this thread, i said there were several conversations. I'm quite curious why you interpreted it as THAT conversation.
If we're talking about the same forgettable nonevent in the same server, no that's incorrect. There were 3 people in the server including us two, and which leaves 1 player who didn't say much. I wouldn't even say there was one conversation, let alone several, since I stopped responding to your tangents.
I'm also curious why you're leaving out key parts of the conversation. Like the part where i was cracking old school jokes, the part where i said i had no idea why the lag was there, etc.
I left out zero jokes, and no, you didn't say you didn't know "why" the lag was there, you said there was no lag at all. Besides, leaving out that you supposedly were making jokes is somehow "leaving out a key part"? You're grasping at imaginary straws here.
Finally, I'm curious if you've read the wiki article i wrote 8 years ago when i was sick of talking about lag in-game, when i just wanted to play.
At least now you're getting to the crux of the point: Again, no one was asking you (or the devs) why you haven't "updated the game" like you incorrectly claimed I said in your first post. And I can only assume you're bringing up an old article irrelevant to this point, to try to detract from the fact that the persecution you wrote about in your first post to get your internet pats was fictional.

For future reference: Don't project your insecurities on other people, and don't twist our conversation, specifically my words, into a fable of dev persecution, to get off on forum. It's sad.

@ Z-man: I will abide. I guess his crassness will go unrequited.

@Tak, @ Pot: Let's leave the expert opinions of US servers, to US players

Besides this whole topic is a joke. I can't say for certain what his motives were for writing his fictional dialogue, but looking at his first post, and seeing what he changed in the story compared to what really happened, it looks like he got the circlejerk he wanted. Like I mentioned above, this entire topic is more sad than pathetic.

User avatar
Lucifer
Project Developer & Local Moonshiner
Posts: 8610
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:32 pm
Location: Republic of Texas
Contact:

Re: Why we use fake names

Post by Lucifer »

I'm still amazed. This is similar to my step-daughter's biological father commenting on her status update to complain that he hasn't been talking to her. It's not like he can't message her or anything. The irony is just...well...
[Censored] wrote:@Lucifer:
In my first post in this thread, i said there were several conversations. I'm quite curious why you interpreted it as THAT conversation.
If we're talking about the same forgettable nonevent in the same server, no that's incorrect. There were 3 people in the server including us two, and which leaves 1 player who didn't say much. I wouldn't even say there was one conversation, let alone several, since I stopped responding to your tangents.
And the games I played on other servers over the course of a week didn't possibly include anybody else? To be honest, the conversation with you was light by comparison. The abuse I got in other games was...well, enough that I considered leaving again, this time by choice.
I'm also curious why you're leaving out key parts of the conversation. Like the part where i was cracking old school jokes, the part where i said i had no idea why the lag was there, etc.
I left out zero jokes, and no, you didn't say you didn't know "why" the lag was there, you said there was no lag at all. Besides, leaving out that you supposedly were making jokes is somehow "leaving out a key part"? You're grasping at imaginary straws here.
You left out my repeated references to my old server, Breakfast in Hell, where we'd get regular lag bombs and joked that it was my email server receiving email (ran on the same machine). Also, you're leaving out my repeated references to the old jokes about lag. Hell, I came right out and said something like (paraphrased) "I can't believe someone with an 85 ping is calling lag when getting core dumped by a 200 ping". Again, old joke. So a lot of what I was saying to you was me blowing you off, and you continually nagging me to have this "conversation".

As I said in the beginning post, sometimes we just want to play the game.

To be honest, when talking to you, I thought you were just wanting to hang out and chat while playing. But your posts here show me that you are, in fact, one of the harassers. And here you are, trying to claim that I owe you a few minutes' worth of conversation.

I do not. Understand that.
Finally, I'm curious if you've read the wiki article i wrote 8 years ago when i was sick of talking about lag in-game, when i just wanted to play.
At least now you're getting to the crux of the point: Again, no one was asking you (or the devs) why you haven't "updated the game" like you incorrectly claimed I said in your first post. And I can only assume you're bringing up an old article irrelevant to this point, to try to detract from the fact that the persecution you wrote about in your first post to get your internet pats was fictional.
Not in the conversation I was having with you. You are correct about that. You are, however, incorrect that no-one was asking me (or the devs) why we haven't "updated the game". In fact, I believe there's a comment from /dev/null on exactly that subject in this thread or in one that was around when I created this one. That would be the "Armagetron isn't dead, and here's how we can get more people!" or whatever it is. Paraphrased, as you like to say.
For future reference: Don't project your insecurities on other people, and don't twist our conversation, specifically my words, into a fable of dev persecution, to get off on forum. It's sad.
For future reference, when you get all defensive about one conversation and completely fail to consider that I could have easily had 10 conversations with completely different people on completely different servers, and YOU accuse ME of some sort of complex, perhaps you should reach behind your shoulders and pull as hard as you can.

If you do it right, the popping sound you hear will be your head coming out of your ass.

Since you're obviously now worked up into a fit of anger and likely smashing your keyboard (hopefully), this is a good place to point out how I aggregated a number of conversations for which you weren't present as a way to start this thread, and you took it all personally and accused me of some kind of persecution complex because of a dumb conversation with you that I only half paid attention to because I didn't feel like talking at all. Naturally, you don't see that you were, in fact harassing me. You probably didn't see you were harassing the last woman you catcalled, or whistled at, or whatever dumb thing you did.
@ Z-man: I will abide. I guess his crassness will go unrequited.
Don't worry, if Z-man thought I was being too "crass", I'd have a PM from him. Or he'd have posted here. We have our own language, he can post here and admonish me and you wouldn't even see it. Kind of awesome, when you think about it.
Besides this whole topic is a joke. I can't say for certain what his motives were for writing his fictional dialogue, but looking at his first post, and seeing what he changed in the story compared to what really happened, it looks like he got the circlejerk he wanted. Like I mentioned above, this entire topic is more sad than pathetic.
My motives were twofold:

1. I'd like to be able to play under my original name and not get harassed. Others responded to say they had similar problems. This is a real problem, and I was bringing it up (as I am wont to do). I didn't expect anything to come from it. So, as you say, the circle jerk happened as I expected it to. (Maybe you should try being in a real circle jerk. I hear it's quite an erotic experience)

2. To remind everyone who wants to demand updates to the game that they can step up any time. In fact, Z-man, Tank, and I have publicly stated that anyone who comes along and shows they can do our jobs, wants to do it, and will continue in our own spirit (at least for a little while) can get the keys to the project from us. We're not shy, and we know the situation, even as it changes. Except when we don't, which is even more reason for someone to at least fork the game. (Hint: When developers are asking for replacements and/or a quality fork, you should probably try to provide that)
Image

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Why we use fake names

Post by sinewav »

Lucifer wrote:Since you're obviously now worked up into a fit of anger and likely smashing your keyboard...
INB4 cool-guy "I'm not mad, I'm just saying..." type comment. Seriously Lucifer, why are you bothering with this dumbass?

You can't get much more trollish than registering a [FAKE NAME] to post in a thread about aliases.

And to everyone else, if you see Lucifer in a server and feel so overwhelmed and star-stuck that you need to talk to him, try a topic other than Armagetron. He know lots of interesting stuff, much more interesting than this game.

User avatar
Lucifer
Project Developer & Local Moonshiner
Posts: 8610
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:32 pm
Location: Republic of Texas
Contact:

Re: Why we use fake names

Post by Lucifer »

sinewav wrote:
Lucifer wrote:Since you're obviously now worked up into a fit of anger and likely smashing your keyboard...
INB4 cool-guy "I'm not mad, I'm just saying..." type comment. Seriously Lucifer, why are you bothering with this dumbass?
Because I feel like my responses to him are useful for people to read? Maybe I haven't had a good internet fight in awhile (Luke-jr doesn't count anymore, he's more frustrating than fun these days)?
And to everyone else, if you see Lucifer in a server and feel so overwhelmed and star-stuck that you need to talk to him, try a topic other than Armagetron. He know lots of interesting stuff, much more interesting than this game.
Yeah, ask me about juggling, or how to draw stupid-looking stick figures. I'm good at both of those. ;)
Image

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden

User avatar
takburger
Match Winner
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Why we use fake names

Post by takburger »

[Censored] wrote: @Tak, @ Pot: Let's leave the expert opinions of US servers, to US players
coz if euros don't lag in us servers, us people should all lag, it makes sense !!!!!!!

i was just pointing out dbd sumo is best us server for me as I often have lower ping than many us people. Guess is not server but your internet.
Image

User avatar
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:28 pm
Location: Chicago-ish

Re: Why we use fake names

Post by /dev/null »

And here I was trying to be the piece of shit whipping boy. What the hell fuckfaces, take the easy kill.

Also, how do you get censored? That is incredible to me. Did he delete his account or something?

It also makes me giggle that speaking truth makes some of you froth into a denial rage. You do realize you are saying I didnt do any of the shit im loling about? You jackasses are basically trying to say im innocent, when im saying im definately not. It doesnt matter what I say regardless, having something to hate is a lot of fun. It blows my mind that you would try to avoid it.

User avatar
takburger
Match Winner
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Why we use fake names

Post by takburger »

no he just named his account like this.
Image

User avatar
ppotter
Match Winner
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:45 am

Re: Why we use fake names

Post by ppotter »

[Censored] wrote: @Tak, @ Pot: Let's leave the expert opinions of US servers, to US players
Server lag is often exacerbated by having a higher ping, the fact remains that dBd is one of the more stable sumo servers I've played on recently, NA or EU.

User avatar
Ratchet
Match Winner
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:55 am
Contact:

Re: Why we use fake names

Post by Ratchet »

ppotter wrote:
[Censored] wrote: @Tak, @ Pot: Let's leave the expert opinions of US servers, to US players
Server lag is often exacerbated by having a higher ping, the fact remains that dBd is one of the more stable sumo servers I've played on recently, NA or EU.
For one:
Let's leave the expert opinions of US servers, to US players

Haha. That doesn't even make sense.


Anyways:
I'm not trying to contribute to either side of this argument (I don't even know what it's about in entirety) but I think a lot of US players (non-biased ones, even) can admit that dBd|Sumo is one of the worst US servers there is. I, too, usually resort to playing in Empha's Sumo rather than any US server because of our shitty options. I'm mid-USA and Empha's is still a much, much better server for me.

dBd|Sumo has a very consistent "lag-out" every other round or so. It's very odd.
Image
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Why we use fake names

Post by sinewav »

Guess what? It's not the server, it is your connection. Over and over again I have to point out that Armagetron can run on almost anything. Did you see the server in the master list that is running on a solar-powered raspberry Pi? 99% of Lag problems are routing, all outside of your control and sometimes outside of your IPS's control too.

User avatar
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Posts: 5041
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.
Contact:

Re: Why we use fake names

Post by Phytotron »

Lucifer's got mail.

Locked