Why we use fake names

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Why we use fake names

Post by Lucifer »

Ok, this is fun. So I've come back from a long hiatus, first time I've ever really done the long hiatus thing. The reasons are purely technical, and entirely irrelevant. As of writing, I'm breathlessly waiting for a new cable modem that will give me complete control over my internet connection and allow me to run an arma server.

In 2008, I asked people in the project to take over the wiki and my master server. Now it's 2014, and I'm thinking I can probably take those assets back and run them myself. But I want (as much as you want) some demonstration that I'm going to be reliable enough to do that.

Irrelevant.

I've compiled HEAD on my laptop. I tried to do it for the dedicated server on my mythbuntu computer. There are issues there.

So I go and play. I'm hoping that on any server I play, name recognition will attract players. People be like "Hey it's Lucifer, let's go play with him!".

And that worked to some extent. It got players, I had some fun, and hopefully they did too. At the very least, as far as celebrities in this community go, I had a lot of people asking if I was *that* Lucifer. So, 15 minutes of fame, blah blah blah.

Then I found the reason why we've always played under fake names.

I was playing in a sumo game, and someone confronted me with their own problems with the game. Why haven't we fixed it? Why haven't we updated the game? Why haven't we put out all this work to make the game better for him/her?

And my answer was something like "well, I've got four kids to feed, I work six days a week".

That wasn't good enough.

"Ok, Z-man has a kid with a genetic anomaly that requires a certain amount of attention, and Tank Program is finishing college."

That wasn't good enough.

"Look, I've got to put food on the table."

That wasn't good enough.

Truth is: Nothing's good enough.

Bottom line: If you want to see the game "updated" or the graphics improved, YOU DO THE WORK. As for the Evil Triumvirate, we've all had shit going on that requires a significant amount of time. At some time in the past, each of us had time and motivation to work on the game. At some time in the future, each of us may have time and motivation to work on the game. But RIGHT NOW, we don't have that. You want your problems fixed right now, you write the code.

We're not the only developers. It's an open source project. Step up. We'll support anybody who steps up. Even Lizmatic. If the code is solid, we'll take it.

In the mean time, can we play a few casual rounds? Do we have to use aliases in order to do so?

Maybe, sometimes, we just wanna play.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Re: Why we use fake names

Post by Jonathan »

Somehow people think that if they got something for free, they're entitled to more of it. All while they are indebted.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

It's probably just due to the fact that when we ask this sort of question on here, we get answers from irrelevant players, and it's quite rare to get the chance of directly asking a "celebrity".

But, no, you shouldn't have to use an alt just so's you don't get pestered.
This happens to a lot of server owners too, but they seem to enjoy it.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Let's be clear about one thing: I'm the kind of attention whore that loves it.

I've been accused of it, and it's ******* true. I'm THAT person.

But sometimes I really do just want to play.

BTW, Leonardo DiCaprio is 40 today. I'll be 40 in 7 days.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Lucifer wrote:Let's be clear about one thing: I'm the kind of attention whore that loves it.

I've been accused of it, and it's ******* true. I'm THAT person.
keep doin you, sis
bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Post by bilbo baggins »

ahhh the "Famous" lucifer, welcome back, gg gl hf, i was a mere noob when you were around before, i still am....

your post is completely relevant, and if i knew anything about coding i would have put myself forward, unfortunately i'm the type of person who struggles to save a word document and such.

hobbit out :D
saragei
Core Dumper

Post by saragei »

Lucifer wrote:Why haven't we fixed it? Why haven't we updated the game? Why haven't we put out all this work to make the game better for him/her?
The game is perfect for me just the way it is.
Lucifer wrote:Maybe, sometimes, we just wanna play.
/me just wants to play

Thanks for doing a perfect job! And keep coming back to (just) play.
Never trust a species that grins all the time. It’s up to something. —Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
Warum sage ich überhaupt was? Das ist, als würde man seinem Navi widersprechen —Bernd das Brot, Kika-Lounge
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

ConVicT wrote:This happens to a lot of server owners too, but they seem to enjoy it.
Yes and it is annoying a times. I've been ranked a lot higher at CTWF under an alias than under my normal name, but I don't like to have to go by another name just to not have to hear about x and y. I have gotten pretty good at just ignoring people even when they ask 5 or 6 times :P
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

It was fun playing with you Lucifer and as for those people that were hassling you, just tell them to **** off. Remember, aliases suck :)
Playing since December 2006
DrunkDuck
Average Program

Post by DrunkDuck »

Monkey wrote:Remember, aliases suck :)
True
- Bad Sneakers -
bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Post by bilbo baggins »

if people want help/advice, the forums are at there disposal, all they have to do is message you
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Lucifer, im going to ******* eat you.

Nuff said.

As for why nothing is fixed, the current devs are ******* idiots. It shows too. They wont even merge patches made by better people than them. There has been a patch to make tron work with sdl2 (only a decade old system) they still havnt bothered to merge or even review.

They previously told me it was too much work to port it to that, this guy did it with just a few configuration changes and some slight header editing. Almost the exact same excuses (and solutions) they used to not port it to 64bit till we did it for them.

Look at the sty patches, they are ancient, and still havnt mainlined them.

If they didnt have the master servers, this would have been better by being forked a long time ago.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

SO GOOD, SO GOOD, SO GOOD/ You smell like gneral jam.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

On a more serious note, the current devs have done nothing for years, regardless of outside help, and frankly its a bit disappointing.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

/dev/null wrote:On a more serious note, the current devs have done nothing for years, regardless of outside help, and frankly its a bit disappointing.
It's open source. If you don't like how they're doing things, you're free to do it however you'd like. Hosting a master server isn't that hard. You can get a fork going and get everything set how you'd like it. Ain't OS wonderful?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's the truth. If you do well, I'm sure you'll see some activity. It's not like you need a ton of bandwidth or anything. Users will host servers as always, and a master don't seem to take a ton.

On the other hand, the way others have done it seems to make more sense to me. Stay a part of the current community and make server / client changes that players here can use. In the case of Lover, some things may require a client change, but at least with the new client you have the option to play with current servers or the new.

Up to you. (: I suck at C++, so ... I'll be on the consumer side of things here. I'd of course be willing to try out something new though if someone did create something. Just, nobody seems to wanna put that kind of effort into it. I've never seen things go past complaining, except for those that don't complain and just do it.