Why we use fake names

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: Why we use fake names

Post by Phytotron »

Jonathan wrote:Somehow people think that if they got something for free, they're entitled to more of it. All while they are indebted.
And if they did pay for it, they believe they're entitled to harass, dox, ddos, and issue death threats against developers over even the most trivial of disagreements with a game's development. Gaming Culture has gone batshit insane in recent years.

EDIT: Page break, sucka!
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Light wrote:
/dev/null wrote:On a more serious note, the current devs have done nothing for years, regardless of outside help, and frankly its a bit disappointing.
It's open source. If you don't like how they're doing things, you're free to do it however you'd like. Hosting a master server isn't that hard. You can get a fork going and get everything set how you'd like it. Ain't OS wonderful?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's the truth. If you do well, I'm sure you'll see some activity. It's not like you need a ton of bandwidth or anything. Users will host servers as always, and a master don't seem to take a ton.

On the other hand, the way others have done it seems to make more sense to me. Stay a part of the current community and make server / client changes that players here can use. In the case of Lover, some things may require a client change, but at least with the new client you have the option to play with current servers or the new.

Up to you. (: I suck at C++, so ... I'll be on the consumer side of things here. I'd of course be willing to try out something new though if someone did create something. Just, nobody seems to wanna put that kind of effort into it. I've never seen things go past complaining, except for those that don't complain and just do it.

I agree, im just easily pissed off anymore. Guess im nostalgic for when tron was an active community.

Back on topic, I change my name a lot so I dont have to listen to people cry about closers all the time. Its particularly irritating since I only close on servers where it is allowed. If I change my name, it at least takes them a few rounds to figure out who I am and start whining again. A lot of players anymore say you arent any good if you grind, while getting thier own grinds destroyed by those who can.

Open play can be fun, and has its place, but its place isnt "******* Everywhere," and I wish more players would realize that.

I've been trying to get more people to play puddle and shrunk, but it seems a vast majority of players just arent interested in that style of gameplay anymore.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I now have instant chats to deal with open players :twisted:
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Please stop saying "anymore" out of context, it's so irritating lol
Are puddle and shrunk the type of servers that have 50 rubber and very slow speeds?
If so, it's no wonder nobody joins you.
To me, they type of servers are for learning how things work and configuring keys for the first time, they're otherwise useless.
What skill is involved except drive into a wall longer than the opponent did?

I guess you could say that about most game-types, but at least they have reaction time on their side, and really, that is the main skill of the game to me.

I'm not kidding here, but if I'm right on the game mode you mean, I have literally drank half of my coffee before I even reached a player's trap.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Please stop using "they" out of context. It's irritating when the flow of your reading is interrupted. Ain't it annoying when people bitch about how you talk or mistypes you make when it has nothing to do with the conversation and you've been understood perfectly?

Also, different people like different things. There were also things like the super slow nano server that people enjoyed. Just because I wasn't one of them don't mean I'll worry about what other people like. You'd be amazed at what types of servers get active once people realize they're there. Shunkland and Mud Puddle were both very popular servers. I assume if they were promoted a little better (people seeing it active), that it would likely get some players again.

Even being a loose player, I agree with you dev. When people bitch about how you trap in HR, or that you poked the wall to kill someone in sumo, it's pretty dumb. It's part of the gameplay there. If you don't use it, then you're not playing to the best of your ability. Funny when they're usually also the people who avoid loose servers where it's not permitted and can play with other people who are interested in playing the way they do.

On your last note, don't give up. Just play in there till people join you. You'll probably need to grow a little player base of randoms / new people, but there's nothing wrong with that. Just have patience.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

ConVicT wrote:Please stop saying "anymore" out of context, it's so irritating lol
Are puddle and shrunk the type of servers that have 50 rubber and very slow speeds?
If so, it's no wonder nobody joins you.
To me, they type of servers are for learning how things work and configuring keys for the first time, they're otherwise useless.
What skill is involved except drive into a wall longer than the opponent did?

I guess you could say that about most game-types, but at least they have reaction time on their side, and really, that is the main skill of the game to me.

I'm not kidding here, but if I'm right on the game mode you mean, I have literally drank half of my coffee before I even reached a player's trap.
They arent open servers, so shut right the **** up crybaby. This is exactly what im talking about. I was trying to be ******* decent about it, but you wanted to go full retard, so lets ride it. Ive been shitstomping your kind since longer than you knew this was a game. You would be wise to sit down, shut up, and learn something.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

/dev/null wrote:Ive been shitstomping your kind since longer than you knew this was a game.
Truth.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

/dev/null wrote:
They arent open servers, so shut right the **** up crybaby...
You would be wise to sit down, shut up, and learn something.
I never said they were open servers, I was just pointing out that the game-type is hell'a boring If you don't actually suck at the game.
Why do you assume I was standing?
I've had this argument countless times in-game, I really don't think you could say anything on the subject that I haven't already read umpteen times.

Just get back on topic, before things get taken far too seriously as per usual.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Puddle has 5 rubber, shrunk has 1. Back to the pit with you. Its pretty obvious you dont play either of them.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

sinewav wrote:
/dev/null wrote:Ive been shitstomping your kind since longer than you knew this was a game.
Truth.
@/dev/null: That was before you went to jail for incest/statutory rape. (Touch my nerve, I'll touch yours. You know me that well)

On that same subject, anybody remember Iceman?

50 rubber is a whole lot like working the simulators at driver's ed. The real world has a rubber more like 3-5.

In any case, I've got a new server up. Pretty sure it won't get popular this time, considering it's competition, but I don't care. I want my own server, and I'll play on it every now and then.

And no, it's not a WorldOfHate server. Those servers were always nothing but bullshit.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Lucifer wrote:On that same subject, anybody remember Iceman?
Yes, in a hostorical sense! He left before I started, but I did play with him once after he had a surge of naostalgia acouple years later. Iceman's contributions remain in an archive hosted by Arma.UK and, naturally, is still listed on Arma's main site because that thing is lucky to get one update per year.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Yeah, people said Iceman went to jail for some reason, I forgot the reason that was circulating at the time. I, too, rediscovered the game shortly after he disappeared.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Lucifer wrote:
sinewav wrote:
Truth.
@/dev/null: That was before you went to jail for incest/statutory rape. (Touch my nerve, I'll touch yours. You know me that well)

On that same subject, anybody remember Iceman?

50 rubber is a whole lot like working the simulators at driver's ed. The real world has a rubber more like 3-5.

In any case, I've got a new server up. Pretty sure it won't get popular this time, considering it's competition, but I don't care. I want my own server, and I'll play on it every now and then.

And no, it's not a WorldOfHate server. Those servers were always nothing but bullshit.

How the **** did I touch your nerve? are you an open player now? What a ******* noobie.

Its cute of you to act like I care anymore though. I got over that long ago. I did my time AND got my ass.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

/dev/null wrote:Lucifer, im going to ******* eat you.

Nuff said.

As for why nothing is fixed, the current devs are ******* idiots. It shows too. They wont even merge patches made by better people than them. There has been a patch to make tron work with sdl2 (only a decade old system) they still havnt bothered to merge or even review.

They previously told me it was too much work to port it to that, this guy did it with just a few configuration changes and some slight header editing. Almost the exact same excuses (and solutions) they used to not port it to 64bit till we did it for them.

Look at the sty patches, they are ancient, and still havnt mainlined them.

If they didnt have the master servers, this would have been better by being forked a long time ago.
Think this is the post that riled him up?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

ConVicT wrote:Are puddle and shrunk the type of servers that have 50 rubber and very slow speeds?
As usual, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Shrunkland is 1 rubber. And while some perceive it as "slow" because of the base speed, in actual fact, relative to the arena size, it could be described as "fast." And while it's accessible to newbies, it's also incredibly competitive among those who know what they're doing. Crutching on button mashing won't win for you there.

Moreover, at one time, for about a year, it was one of the most popular and constantly populated servers in the game. And I mean literally 24/7 you could find at least a few people in there. (It later was victim of a hostile takeover by open, etc." players for a little while, but that is now explicitly forbidden.)

Mud Puddle is what I would consider high rubber, but most of you new kids would still consider it low rubber. I don't like it. It is too easy to crutch on multibinds, and walls are too short.

I'm quite confident I could still destroy you on either server, as could most veteran players. Single binding. And I haven't played regularly in at least a couple years.