Ladle Season

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Snxpflash
Average Program

Ladle Season

Post by Snxpflash »

Iv been thinking a lot about what this community could use to rebuild some interest in Ladle and it might not be what youd expect. Im a huge sports fan, love Soccer, Football, Nascar etc. One thing they all have in common; an Off-season. Its important for them to have some time to rebuild and reorganize. Why are we any different? Sure, ladle is once a month however i feel as though a 2 to 3 month break (8-9 ladles per season) would change the complexity of how we look at ladle. In the past we have had points systems etc however i feel like they were too complicated possibly? I propose a Ladle season where you get points based on how far you make it through the brackets, this gives incentive and makes it more fun. We are pushing 90 ladles and tbh the current system is becoming so redundant, all but like 2 teams had 1st round bye last ladle. If we are going such few teams, we'd might as well make it as interesting as possible. Thoughts?
Nanu Nanu
Core Dumper

Re: Ladle Season

Post by Nanu Nanu »

Don't we already have a similar system in place? I know Ladle is every month, but as far as Bowl goes, there's a few off-season ladles. The Bowl already does give points for progressing, and it's not a complicated point system at all.
(Ladle Wins + Round Wins) • (Match Wins / Match Total) It doesn't ridiculously weigh Ladle wins, and gives you points even for match wins, not just rounds.

For some ideas about potential changes, maybe look at this thread. http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 60&t=23674
Prema wrote:The second match starts, a new beginning,
Nanu and Prema, Sui and Ninja,
versus those same old hoes grinning.
Snxpflash
Average Program

Post by Snxpflash »

Idk man, who keeps track of this stuff? I feel like its currently viewed as insignificant. The only interest currently is on who wins ladle, nobody cares about anything else. We should have at least a 2-3 month off season where we can fill the 8-12 weeks with exapnsion. Build emphasis on who winns the 1st ladle of the season, make the last ladle actually mean something when we have a few teams close in points etc. We can make this much more entertaining than it is. I promise you if we had an off season a lot of change would happen that otherwise would just stall out.
Nanu Nanu
Core Dumper

Post by Nanu Nanu »

I know I'm still talking about Bowl, but I kinda feel like you are too (not 100% sure). There is an off season for Bowl. You can still score well in a season without winning any ladles. Last Bowl the last ladle in the season did matter (if KS stayed together), nobody was sure whether the last spot would go to Rogue or Unknown.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Snxpflash wrote:Idk man, who keeps track of this stuff? I feel like its currently viewed as insignificant.
I ran the Bowl, when there was interest in it.
Snxpflash wrote:We should have at least a 2-3 month off season where we can fill the 8-12 weeks with exapnsion....make the last ladle actually mean something when we have a few teams close in points etc.
This is exactly what Bowl had. The points were close for a few of the better teams, but for the most part differences were stark. Perhaps we can change the scoring, but the questions is, how to make the score honestly reflect performance?
Snxpflash wrote:We can make this much more entertaining than it is. I promise you if we had an off season a lot of change would happen that otherwise would just stall out.
Feel free to improve upon the current system. The community was heavily involved in its construction with many people contributing excellent ideas. In the end, only a few people are actually serious enough to play this game at all so the Bowl never provided the community wide stimulation we hoped for.

Of course, new ideas are always welcome. I think the Bowl was super fun and I put dozens of hours into it. Start by learning what we did, then give us something we haven't tried yet.

The problem isn't the tournaments, it is the growth of the community (or lack of), in size and maturity.

I feel another one of my Tron Times articles coming on... >_<
Snxpflash
Average Program

Post by Snxpflash »

Again, do away with tournamants for 3 months. Let all existing clans/teams formulate a strategy for the season opening. Allow new teams to come together during the off season. Make every ladle a mandatory points ranking and force all teams to fill out an entry for the full upcoming season. Open teams will be allowed to play however no points will be scored to them regardless of their turnout. Lets generate interest in not clan hopping and stick with 1 team. All trades and scouting must be done in the off season. You may only join a new team during the open season if your current team dropped you (if you leave your team after agreeing to play with them during the open season you will not be allowed to be added to another teams roster. Excluding an open team).
Nanu Nanu
Core Dumper

Post by Nanu Nanu »

Snxpflash wrote:Again, do away with tournamants for 3 months. Let all existing clans/teams formulate a strategy for the season opening. Allow new teams to come together during the off season. Make every ladle a mandatory points ranking and force all teams to fill out an entry for the full upcoming season. Open teams will be allowed to play however no points will be scored to them regardless of their turnout. Lets generate interest in not clan hopping and stick with 1 team. All trades and scouting must be done in the off season. You may only join a new team during the open season if your current team dropped you (if you leave your team after agreeing to play with them during the open season you will not be allowed to be added to another teams roster. Excluding an open team).
I feel like only allowing players that stick with the same team to play only limits Ladle's player base. What if an open team decides they want to keep playing together, kinda like Sh? Do you still not allow them to be scored? It just doesn't seem very fair or reasonable. Also, I don't think it's a good idea to tell players they can't play ladles just because they switched teams.

EDIT: I might forget about this game if there's no tournaments for three months. They keep me interested, and I don't think I'm the only one.
bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Post by bilbo baggins »

its an idea that has already been done with sines bowl and it was a great addition in the first 2, i remember phoenix fighting for the 8th spot in the last season ladle and not getting it :/ but the desire and drive was there, then it being reduced to a 4 team bowl which was good to watch for me and im sure good to participate in for the guys playing it.

i would be more open to a league style system where every few weeks 1 scheduled match takes place between 2 teams in the league over a "season" of however long it takes, each team plays each other twice one match in eu one in us. Kind of like what concord tried to do with the sumo league a while back, i dont think this would work however due to players not being motivated and showing up etc etc. Plus i dont have the time or expertise to implement a system like this. If you feel this is more what you are looking for based on your sporting inspiration thump by all means try this, you would need community consensus before anything is implemented and i feel your idea's are a bit extreme and elitist and would only reduce the player base as nanu has said

keep discussing...