unfair pickup ban

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
blondie
Core Dumper

Re: unfair pickup ban

Post by blondie »

if you read the transcript posted in the op, you would know I already did both these things before creating the topic.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

blondie: You were banned for being disrespectful to your fellow players by spending a good amount of time chatting while others were waiting for him to fight in a round's final 1v1, your entire chat in-game being sarcasm(which would be OK save for it coming in excessive amounts), then lying about it to other players and me in #armagetron.pickup and #armagetron.pickup.ops.
blondie
Core Dumper

Post by blondie »

That's not the reason you gave when you made the ban. Furthermore, I know for a fact you issued the ban before being aware of the reason you cited above (chatting during a 1v1, which happens all the time and is hardly reason for a ban of any length, let alone a week).

I'm not lying about anything. I was not being sarcastic. That's your interpretation.

You've falsely accused me of things in the past. This personally-targeted ban has arbitrary reasons and an arbitrary duration. You take moderating powers into your own hands for pickup rather than make a democratic instrument. If you'd prefer hierarchal authority to democratic methods, that's one thing, but to responsibly exercise this hierarchical power, you need to provide valid reasons and transparent explanations for your actions. You cannot simply ban whoever you like because you feel like it.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

blondie wrote:You take moderating powers into your own hands for pickup rather than make a democratic instrument. If you'd prefer hierarchal authority to democratic methods, that's one thing, but to responsibly exercise this hierarchical power, you need to provide valid reasons and transparent explanations for your actions.
ITT: Concord forgets that pickup is a service of hashpickup.net and NOT a community event or similar. No democratic decision making is necessary, nor is transparency.
blondie wrote:You cannot simply ban whoever you like because you feel like it.
Actually he can, so tough shit. And if I were him I would probably extend it after this thread because it is no different than some Yellow Sub n00b complaining about getting kicked. This is not an issue for armagetronad.net.
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

To be fair, it was rather annoying how many times you mentioned it. None of us who played in the AvE All Stars competition actually feel like "all-stars", so it was more rather an excessive amount of trolling sarcasm. (Not to mention that the AvE is something that happened months ago. I didn't even play that much, my internet was so messed up that day; I was sliding every two turns and couldn't see a thing. Not very "all-star" like there.

Thanks for the compliments, however, whether they be genuine or not. Hopefully these positive comments continue moving forward.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
blondie
Core Dumper

Post by blondie »

yeah, sinewav, you are right. Ultimately epsy can do whatever he wants because he is bossman. And I am very sorry for cluttering these forums. Please forgive me.

congrats on winning an argument on the internet.

/thread
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

Overrated wrote:To be fair, it was rather annoying how many times you mentioned it. None of us who played in the AvE All Stars competition actually feel like "all-stars", so it was more rather an excessive amount of trolling sarcasm. (Not to mention that the AvE is something that happened months ago. I didn't even play that much, my internet was so messed up that day; I was sliding every two turns and couldn't see a thing. Not very "all-star" like there.

Thanks for the compliments, however, whether they be genuine or not. Hopefully these positive comments continue moving forward.

Hey now you're an allstar get your game on, go play. Hey now you're a rock star get the show on, get paid. And all that glitters is gold, only shooting stars break the mold.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

i will not discuss if he deserves the ban or not, if he was sarcastic or not.

to my taste, it was always stupid how people gets mad for too light stuff or make big deal of everything.
always 2 persons or more gets in a discussion you call it "drama".
maybe im open for a harder lenguage, i dont know
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

I propose a 12 month ladle ban issued for Concord's horrible and immature actions. Being sarcastic in a game is a tragedy and must be stopped immediately. Please, let us all pray for Nanu in the hope he will recover from this and the retribution Epsy provided for him was sufficient.
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

Vogue wrote:I propose a 12 month ladle ban issued for Concord's horrible and immature actions. Being sarcastic in a game is a tragedy and must be stopped immediately. Please, let us all pray for Nanu in the hope he will recover from this and the retribution Epsy provided for him was sufficient.
hope you are not being SARCASTIC
Venijn
Round Winner

Post by Venijn »

Peering in, a week does seem quite harsh.

I know that this is a private system, and the rules were amended, but I would suggest that a no-show where it actually disrupts the match to the point where players are scrambling a sub should have a higher consequential ban than "sarcasm," correctly interpreted or not.
Click. Image
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

I disagree with Venijn on two counts.

Firstly, as epsy says, it wasn't the fact that Concord was being (exceptionally) sarcastic to people but that he was doing it while he was supposed to be attacking in a 1v1 situation. We had to watch while he just wafted about aimlessly, chatting crap. This ruined the game at least as much as a no show at the beginning of the game would have done. Then, on top of that, he lied about it, therefore his punishment should be more than that of a no show.

Secondly, it's not the case that Concord's ban was too long, rather that other people's bans have been too short. The admins put in a lot of time and effort to provide us with pickup yet most people seem so ungrateful for this, moaning about them. I think that most of the rules are good and should be enforced strongly. Why should admins have to waste their time constantly giving small bans to people for things that they know they should not be doing?

Pickup isn't perfect and, from what I have seen, the admins do listen to comments/complaints/suggestions to some extent. However (thankfully) pickup is not a democracy. If you don't like that then don't play it.
Playing since December 2006
Venijn
Round Winner

Post by Venijn »

I mean, i'm not really involved enough to care a great deal, but your second point doesn't really disagree with mine, and you have made an agreeable point. I'm not complaining, just making a suggestion.

Also, I would say that the rare times that Tron is dead, and it takes hours to find 12 players, if one doesn't show, then there is no match. It is that circumstance to which I refer.

Thanks for your feedback Monkey.
Click. Image
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

I understand your concern, but we have to distinguish mistakes and bad intentions. We do issue bans for early quits and no shows if reported(either with @admins or using the feedback form on the website), but I disagree on these being worse than toxic behavior(which is far more than just some banter/sarcasm here and there during a game). Obviously keeping it up when appealing doesn't help your case, hence the long ban for what is mostly first-offense.
blondie
Core Dumper

Post by blondie »

You expect people to stop appealing when you're ignoring them?