A gripe

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
delinquent
Match Winner

A gripe

Post by delinquent »

Since I started this apprenticeship and had a number of other changes in my life, I get precious little time to relax into something I enjoy. More often than not I trawl space, muck around in tanks or shoot down some japs in the various other games that I enjoy, but I do still enjoy Armagetron.

As primarily a fortress player, I'm really beginning to see the problems with pickup. It's excellent for organised games where we have all day to ourselves, or want something a bit more in depth than casual fortress, but for the duration of the working week it's prohibitively time consuming. I simply don't have the two hours to wait in IRC, wait for people to get a modicum of organisation and actually play a game.

This is a completely opposite view to when I had an hourly waged job, that was comparatively untaxing and less time consuming. Now that I have a 90 minute commute each way, and other duties to contend with before I even look at my computer, I'd much rather be able to jump in for a half hour run in a casual game.

So, with that in mind, I call for pickup to be restricted to weekends (or a period during which it's majority playerbase is free).

Yes, vote, yadda yadda. I'm (slowly) growing up, don't hate me.
takburger
Match Winner

Re: A gripe

Post by takburger »

Hey,

Good thing that you're busy. But I do not agree, there are pickups at precise hours every day and you can be able to adapt to that.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Takburger, as somebody else who has a busy life, I think you are missing the point. He is saying that often he can only commit about 1/2 hour or so to play. That is my story many time too. For pickup, that really doesn't work. A pickup game takes a 1/2 hour to play, but there is time to wait to get into the next pickup, to organize, etc. In reality, it seems to take 45 minutes to an hour commitment.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I like the concept of pickup, don't get me wrong, but I'm now much more in agreement with limiting it's operational days.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

Sorry, I also have a busy life... Maybe I don't have the home duties to raise a children or take care of a wife yet so I got more free time than you.

I think you're gonna have a hard time to find fort servers, as for now there are 2 pickups during the evenings.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Filthy casual
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Lazy slob :D
Renegade
Core Dumper

Post by Renegade »

You missed out on the chance to be a wizard
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I don't get it?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

The irony of "pickup"—it never really was a pick-up game.