How pickup kills tron

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Snxpflash
Average Program

Re: How pickup kills tron

Post by Snxpflash »

Titanoboa wrote:So, a new rule so you can leave a few seconds earlier?
More like a modification to the current rule. I think it's pretty balanced to be honest. Leave before the match is over without a sub to replace you, in turn ruining the match deserves discipline. Otherwise insuring nobody is left out of the opportunity to !add fairly is the only other legitimate concern most have. But, its all just a suggestion.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Snxpflash wrote:
Monkey wrote: the only people that are going on and on and on about them are you and thump

Perhaps you should take another gander. We're not the only ones who think "leaving after final score and before Match_Splash and "not" !add'ing should not be a punishable offense.
Firstly, I said "going on and on and on about them". While the odd other person has mentioned them, only you two are going on about them relentlessly.
Secondly, you can't please everyone but from what I can see, the majority of people are at least fairly happy with the rules.
Thump wrote:
Monkey wrote:Pickup loses a small number of people who don't like the rules and bans then it will make it even better.
Speak for yourself.
I am; in my opinion, if Pickup loses a small number of people who don't like the rules and bans then it will make it even better.
Thump wrote:Also, you have no idea how many really great/fun players already avoid Pickup (some or entirely) due to certain 'unfun' aspects related to moderation and immature players. Would be really great to not a decline rather an influx of players in pickup.
I believe I have a good idea of how many players avoid Pickup, certainly as much as you do. Also, from what I can gather, most of these players don't like it because of reasons relating to skill or the principal of Pickup, rather than the rules and moderation. I must reiterate the fact that you can't please everyone but from what I can see, the majority of people are at least fairly happy with the rules and enjoy playing Pickup.

Note: The Pickup rules have just been ammended. Also, the minimum length of time for a ban is now 24 hours.
Playing since December 2006
Snxpflash
Average Program

Post by Snxpflash »

Monkey wrote: Note: The Pickup rules have just been ammended. Also, the minimum length of time for a ban is now 24 hours.
Uhm? A: When/Where/How did this happen? B: Why dont 'We' the common people.. the Players (who have only the !add/!remove capability) .. get a say in anything? Pickup would be nothing without those who participate and yet their voice is silenced when they decided to speak up about anything related to MOD Authority/rules/fairness. Perhaps I missed something, but any and all rule/mod changes should always be made public, with explanation, and proper unanimous decision by a collective group of MOD's and Common Players.

EDIT

I read "hashpickup.net" /rules and am in 100% agreement. Someone said "You cant please everyone" but, i believe with that decision you probably have. Thanks.
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

Snxpflash wrote: B: Why dont 'We' the common people.. the Players (who have only the !add/!remove capability) .. get a say in anything? Pickup would be nothing without those who participate and yet their voice is silenced when they decided to speak up about anything related to MOD Authority/rules/fairness.
As with any 'public' service, if there were truly an issue, consumers would vote with their feet.
Core Dumper

Post by newbie »

ogo wrote:Now they're grumpy coz the noobs found out about it, gridstats disappeared and it's just as shit as public fortress/sumo. I have enjoyed a pickup game or two in my time, but I don't believe it should exist.
You're spot-on. But the public games we played yesterday with other folks were far more friendlier and chilled. The worst is seeing bad players picking other bad players as their teammates (or vice versa) for a sucky 150:50 game, and all this incessantly repeated by leaving and joining the same server with the same people for the same 15 minute games, with 30 minute breaks in-between. Bring back gridstats and revive, what seems to be abandoned now, the idea of an irc's armabot automatically distributing players to teams according to their stats (and also picking the correct eu/us server by analyzing majority’s country of origin).
1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 21, 24, 33, 34, 35

Snxpflash
Average Program

Post by Snxpflash »

newbie wrote:
ogo wrote:Now they're grumpy coz the noobs found out about it, gridstats disappeared and it's just as shit as public fortress/sumo. I have enjoyed a pickup game or two in my time, but I don't believe it should exist.
You're spot-on. But the public games we played yesterday with other folks were far more friendlier and chilled. The worst is seeing bad players picking other bad players as their teammates (or vice versa) for a sucky 150:50 game, and all this incessantly repeated by leaving and joining the same server with the same people for the same 15 minute games, with 30 minute breaks in-between. Bring back gridstats and revive, what seems to be abandoned now, the idea of an irc's armabot automatically distributing players to teams according to their stats (and also picking the correct eu/us server by analyzing majority’s country of origin).

+1000
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

newbie wrote:Bring back gridstats and revive, what seems to be abandoned now, the idea of an irc's armabot automatically distributing players to teams according to their stats (and also picking the correct eu/us server by analyzing majority’s country of origin).
Nice ideas there.
Playing since December 2006
Shock
Core Dumper

Post by Shock »

A tip for the public game connoisseur:
If panda is in the server, join it! He will always give you a fight worth playing in. Same goes for b3n!
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Shock wrote:A tip for the public game connoisseur:
If panda is in the server, join it! He will always give you a fight worth playing in.
That's a lie. He just passively drives around until you kill yourself, it's not a fight.
Shock
Core Dumper

Post by Shock »

Ah yeah, also true. But he does try his damnedest to passively drive around longer than you, every round. I think that consistency makes for a challenging public server.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Shock wrote:Ah yeah, also true. But he does try his damnedest to passively drive around longer than you, every round. I think that consistency makes for a challenging public server.
Look how pathetic that sounds. Competition in public servers is so bad that you have to highlight a guy that noodles around as a great player worthy of a challenge? If this is really the case all of us might as well quit Tron.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

-edit-
whats the point
Boxed
Shock
Core Dumper

Post by Shock »

sinewav wrote:Look how pathetic that sounds. Competition in public servers is so bad that you have to highlight a guy that noodles around as a great player worthy of a challenge? If this is really the case all of us might as well quit Tron.
It turns out I don't actually "have" to point out a fun, active, and consistent player. It's just a tip- a useful one for the few(?) people detracted from public games, in sumo at least.
breeze
Average Program

Post by breeze »

newbie wrote:Bring back gridstats and revive, what seems to be abandoned now, the idea of an irc's armabot automatically distributing players to teams according to their stats (and also picking the correct eu/us server by analyzing majority’s country of origin).
I've thought about this before. It would be next level gaming if teams were automatically picked by skill. The time saved on picking teams would also be marvelous. Even if gridstats isn't doable, a cool modification to think about would be to simply have the referee (or other designated player) input the winning team to armapickupbot and the bot would distribute players to teams based on an individual's winning percentage. Basically, I'm thinking the time saved on picking teams would be really great. I think it gives an air of seriousness more than manually picking teams.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Years ago Crazy Tronner ed had a Fort server that did this automatically every match. It was difficult because you never knew what position or team you were going to be in the first round (then shuffle wars). But for pickup I would be totally into this.